Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2017, 09:50 AM

8,224 posts, read 3,498,932 times

Advertisements

Took 10 minutes at the tax collectors office to register a truck from NY get a Florida drivers license and register to vote. Voter ID took 1 week to get.

Unless they voted, it's just a matter of a name that hasn't voted.

However
Voter ID is issued. It would be interesting to see if the ID was used...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2017, 10:08 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,748,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
There's no spin needed--just common sense.

Just because someone shows up as a registered person doesn't mean they vote. If a registered voter dies, no one rushes to remove his or her name from the list of registered voters. Only an idiot would think that correlates to voter fraud.
As I understand it, when someone dies in a county other than their own, the death certificate is not always recorded in the county the voter is registered in. No shortage of snow birds who live in Florida for at least 6 months a year for tax and weather purposes. How would DadevCounty know the deceased was registered in say, Lake County, Indiana?

I have lived in and been registered to vote in multiple states. Who knows? I may still be registered to vote in multiple states. Nothing compelled me to register my move with the county I departed. How would a county compel people to notify of a move.

Tens of millions of people relocate all over the US. Some of them are members of Trump's family and admin.

I have no issue with Voter ID. Who are these people who have managed to live their lives without a bank account, cashing a check, registering for a school, buying alcohol, being employed, collecting Social Security, owning or renting property, see a doctor and so on, who somehow manage to vote?

Seems to me a bigger issue is the number of people who are not registered or who are and don't vote.

Many states do not require voters to register by party. I live in one of them. In those states that require party registration, nothing prevents the voter from voting for members of the other part in a general election.

Old 07-26-2017, 11:17 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,640,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMS14 View Post
Oh, no! Zombies are voting in Broward County!! OP, thank you for bringing this massive problem to our attention!

It's all over, folks. The zombie apocalypse is upon us...
Its a real nuisance down here. I had to elbow my way through all the zombies last November.

Old 07-26-2017, 11:26 AM

8,224 posts, read 3,498,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
I have no issue with Voter ID. Who are these people who have managed to live their lives without a bank account, cashing a check, registering for a school, buying alcohol, being employed, collecting Social Security, owning or renting property, see a doctor and so on, who somehow manage to vote?
I've asked the same question...
The response I get is VOTER ID IS RACIST

So car loans, mortgages, checking accounts, hospitals/Dr offices, car registration, and bars, are all racist too right? For you need to provide ID to obtain loans, medical treatment, alcoholic beverages, tobacco products, jobs, etc etc...

Old 07-26-2017, 11:45 AM

18,983 posts, read 9,078,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY_refugee87 View Post
I've asked the same question...
The response I get is VOTER ID IS RACIST

So car loans, mortgages, checking accounts, hospitals/Dr offices, car registration, and bars, are all racist too right? For you need to provide ID to obtain loans, medical treatment, alcoholic beverages, tobacco products, jobs, etc etc...

Make voter IDs free of charge, including obtaining the necessary documentation such as a birth certificate; accept other forms of ID such as public assistance IDs, student ID cards and state employee ID cards (Texas will accept a concealed carry cards, but not any of those other forms of ID); and make them available to obtain at polling places on election days instead of a few select out of the way places that are open only a few hours a week, and I will support a voter ID law. That way we know the intent is to actually sign up as many eligible voters as possible instead of cutting people out.

As it is, the laws that have thus far been proposed are designed with the intent of disenfranchising certain populations from being able to vote, and that I will not support.

Old 07-26-2017, 12:03 PM

24,201 posts, read 19,215,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMS14 View Post
Make voter IDs free of charge, including obtaining the necessary documentation such as a birth certificate; accept other forms of ID such as public assistance IDs, student ID cards and state employee ID cards (Texas will accept a concealed carry cards, but not any of those other forms of ID); and make them available to obtain at polling places on election days instead of a few select out of the way places that are open only a few hours a week, and I will support a voter ID law. That way we know the intent is to actually sign up as many eligible voters as possible instead of cutting people out.

As it is, the laws that have thus far been proposed are designed with the intent of disenfranchising certain populations from being able to vote, and that I will not support.
thank you. This question gets answered each time it is asked and yet the answers get ignored and it's always the same "I don't see why having voter ID is a problem" stuff. Yes, it's a problem for some people. Remove the barriers and try make it easier for people to vote, rather than harder.

Also stop with the Crosscheck nonsense, which is also designed to try to disenfranchise legitimate voters.

Quote:
In theory, the program is supposed to detect possible cases of people voting in multiple locations. But academics and states that use the program have found that its results are overrun with false positives, creating a high risk of disenfranchising legal voters. A statistical analysis of the program published earlier this year by researchers at Stanford, Harvard, University of Pennsylvania and Microsoft, for instance, found that Crosscheck “would eliminate about 200 registrations used to cast legitimate votes for every one registration used to cast a double vote.”
http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/w...=.6c73b5091283

Old 07-26-2017, 12:10 PM

130,339 posts, read 12,112,869 times
We moved last year & I tried to get my name off the old voter county rolls, but they wouldn't remove me, unless I printed off a pile of papers, signed them & returned them, They make it hard to get off the rolls. As I do not have a printer, I just re-registered in my new county & let them figure it out. The clerk did say that the re registration would eventually take my name off. Of course this was all in the same state. I think they need a better system. Voter ID is ok by me.

Old 07-26-2017, 12:15 PM

5,705 posts, read 3,672,549 times
So, you're complaining about a fake news story from a fake news site that claims voter fraud in a state Trump won? I guess we should have a revote in Florida then. Good idea.

Old 07-26-2017, 12:20 PM

9,837 posts, read 4,638,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
As I understand it, when someone dies in a county other than their own, the death certificate is not always recorded in the county the voter is registered in. No shortage of snow birds who live in Florida for at least 6 months a year for tax and weather purposes. How would DadevCounty know the deceased was registered in say, Lake County, Indiana?

I have lived in and been registered to vote in multiple states. Who knows? I may still be registered to vote in multiple states. Nothing compelled me to register my move with the county I departed. How would a county compel people to notify of a move.

Tens of millions of people relocate all over the US. Some of them are members of Trump's family and admin.

Seems to me a bigger issue is the number of people who are not registered or who are and don't vote.

Many states do not require voters to register by party. I live in one of them. In those states that require party registration, nothing prevents the voter from voting for members of the other part in a general election.
middle aged mom, you are missing the point here.
red states are creating barriers on poor voters who might have to travel a couple of hours to get an ID.

Republicans also know marginal voters who can hardly bother to vote will be much more likely to skip it if they think they are going to be hassled for ID.

They are also using it to spread false information fear come election day...

And it is just one part of larger scheme to reduce the number of black and brown people actively voting.

Voter purging , Voter ID , voter confusion (changing where and when and how you vote) are the primary tools.

Old 07-26-2017, 12:21 PM

12,566 posts, read 10,620,001 times
I think we have yet another thread fail.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies