Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2017, 11:55 AM

16,384 posts, read 10,492,435 times

Advertisements

...I am comforted in one thing. Regardless of how this Russia investigation turns out history will not be kind to President Trump. In 10, 50, 100 years people will be looking at Trump as we view Joe McCarthy. A crazy man with temporary power who went overboard and acted like a fool. History students will look back at a President and hear him brag about assaulting women, learn how he tried to circumvent an impartial investigation by firing those who didn't try to turn it his way, read about his infamous Wall that was never built and they will simply laugh at us for putting such a man in the White House.

And just like the Paterno apologists all the Cult's cries and protests won't change anything, both of their legacies are set in stone. And that will never change.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2017, 11:58 AM

12,716 posts, read 7,842,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
...I am comforted in one thing. Regardless of how this Russia investigation turns out history will not be kind to President Trump. In 10, 50, 100 years people will be looking at Trump as we view Joe McCarthy. A crazy man with temporary power who went overboard and acted like a fool. History students will look back at a President and hear him brag about assaulting women, learn how he tried to circumvent an impartial investigation by firing those who didn't try to turn it his way, read about his infamous Wall that was never built and they will simply laugh at us for putting such a man in the White House.

And just like the Paterno apologists all the Cult's cries and protests won't change anything, both of their legacies are set in stone already. And that will never change.
I think Trump is a modern George Wallace. Wallace was the last gasp or what seemed to be a dying ideology (it was presumed dead until Trump revived it). The difference is that our country had enough sense in 1968 to not elect Wallace.

Old 07-27-2017, 12:02 PM

6,658 posts, read 4,760,035 times
I'm afraid 2020 will be a long way away. Instead of the dems/libs trying to find someone to beat Trump (Or another Republican), they're too focused on Russia or their resist Trump movement. By the way things are going right now, the dems should stay home because they have no chance of getting 270 Electoral Votes.

Old 07-27-2017, 12:03 PM

Yes Wallace is a good example. However Trump has more support than that guy did. But as the Cult dies off all we will have are the videos, the Tweets etc and that will be all the evidence future generations will need to judge.

Old 07-27-2017, 12:04 PM

12,716 posts, read 7,842,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevdawgg View Post
I'm afraid 2020 will be a long way away. Instead of the dems/libs trying to find someone to beat Trump (Or another Republican), they're too focused on Russia or their resist Trump movement. By the way things are going right now, the dems should stay home because they have no chance of getting 270 Electoral Votes.
Trump going down the culture war route isn't going to be a winning strategy. It may secure his popularity in the Bible Belt South but the Rust Belt doesn't care about gay people like they do in Oklahoma and Alabama. They care about jobs and bringing back their manufacturing sector. If Trump can accomplish that, he might have a shot in 2020. If he continues fighting against the LGBT community and legal marijuana and throwing tantrums on Twitter, there is no way he gets re-elected in 2020.

Old 07-27-2017, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevdawgg View Post
As you said 2020 is a long way away. The Dems screwed up royally by giving America two polarizing choices in Hillary and Bernie. All they needed was one decent candidate in 2016 and they would have won easily. There is plenty of time to develop a viable candidate. It won't take much to beat Trump in 2020 the way things are going as you said.

Old 07-27-2017, 12:06 PM

6,542 posts, read 4,106,459 times
Quote:

And just like the Paterno apologists all the Cult's cries and protests won't change anything, both of their legacies are set in stone. And that will never change.
If you think the "insanity" ends with Trump leaving office, you're going to be seriously disappointed.

Trump is the symptom, not the disease.

Old 07-27-2017, 12:06 PM

9,338 posts, read 7,128,329 times
I feel like the Trump nightmare in the end could help unite us. Trump has brought out the craziest of conservatives.

As a democrat, I have become much more open-minded and willing to listen to more reasonable people, like John McCain, Lindsay Graham, etc. Republicans that I used to roll my eyes at I know actually don't mind.

For me, as a liberal, Trump has made me more open to working with "true" republicans, not crazy people like Trump and his supporters. I feel like Trump, because he is such a nasty and obnoxious person, has made me a better person...as I am now more open to listening and working with the decent people across the isle.

Old 07-27-2017, 12:10 PM

11,240 posts, read 8,337,851 times
Quote:

Good post, and you had me feeling optimistic, right up until the end.

Paterno is a horrible example. In the end, I think the JP Apologists won. Penn State had an extremely successful season in 2016, and the program continues as a money-powerhouse. I don't really follow college football, but I shudder to think that the Trump Legacy is still going strong after he is gone.

I hope the better analogy is something like Pete Rose, who's name is forever tarnished, and NOBODY wants to get on that train.....

And I hope the analogy to McCarthy is correct. I sometimes think Trump is much worse....

Old 07-27-2017, 12:10 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,931,375 times
Please, while Trump does appeal to those with Wallace's ideology he is no Wallace and that is why he was able to win the election. There are not 60 million vile racists in this nation.

Democrats need to ask why they lost the white blue collar vote and come up with another answer besides everyone is racist.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies