Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should football players and university professors be easy to fire for their views?
Football players and university professors can be fired for their views. 142 43.03%
Neither can be fired for their views 188 56.97%
Voters: 330. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2017, 10:37 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,621,539 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Doll View Post
Why? You seem to have issue with the 1st amendment--which is what veterans fight for.
You know absolutely nothing about the 1st since you believe it protects employees from employers in regards to free speech.

9,742 posts, read 4,496,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
Just as a FYI, the Pats got a fair amount of boos from their fans in their stadium due to it.

If this continues, it's going to hurt the NFL.

If their owners were smart, they'd keep their teams in the locker rooms until after the anthem.

I think some owners are more concerned about what the press and friends at parties might say than a substantial number of the fans.

Well I guess we will see how many patriot fans stop watching the NFL like so many on this thread claim to do. My guess is you won't find many.

4,067 posts, read 2,274,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
Couple of things. 1. That between you and your employer however the NFL/teams aren't firing people so different employer different rules 2. Does your employer play the anthem daily and require you to stand

Your right is with your dollars, don't like it? Don't pay. It's that simple

Yeah, expect sometimes you pay and not know they're going to be spouting off...

My point is that rarely would a business put up with you making a political statement. OK so NFL is different. If the employers want to back them up, then let's see how this affects their ratings. Once the $ loss kicks in, I'm sure they will be changing their tune.

Old 09-25-2017, 10:38 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,621,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vacoder View Post
Well I guess we will see how many patriot fans stop watching the NFL like so many on this thread claim to do. My guess is you won't find many.
GUESS is the key word.

Old 09-25-2017, 10:38 AM

26,191 posts, read 21,591,383 times
Quote:
How many work days a week do the NFL owners play the anthem?

My guess would be once a week with five days of not playing it (assuming players get one day off during the season).
The frequency is irrelevant to my question

Old 09-25-2017, 10:39 AM

19,061 posts, read 12,723,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G1.. View Post
the man in question is a veteran and the military has fought for you and others to have the right if so desired to kneel, sit or raise a fist during the National Anthem.
not at work you don't, free speech is a right you have on your own free time - not at your place of employment

Old 09-25-2017, 10:39 AM

30,419 posts, read 20,311,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
Rs are forever carrying on about getting the government out of your private business, then butts into your private business over abortion, smoking marijuana, who uses which bathroom, whether football players stand or take a knee before the game ...
Babies in the womb are government's business, because they are life. The right to life is mentioned first. "To secure these rights, government is instituted among men ..."

Common sense should dictate who uses which bathroom, and I think it could be argued that the right to privacy might play a role in protecting the right to expect that entering a public restroom will not be a traumatic experience or subject one to spying by some pervert who "feels" he is a female on any given day. This whole bathroom issue is just disgusting. And out of that issue we are not getting to, "I think a child should be given time to decide what sex he or she is!" Debauchery has become acceptable to a certain class of people today.

Good manners and respect for others and respect for one's country should rule when it comes to the Pledge and the National Anthem ...stand up! Disrespecting the flag and our country is just plain poor manners. If you have a "beef" with some policy or issue, find another way to protest. "Giving the finger" to the fans who pay you (and they pay a lot) is not a real good idea. Firing is justified. Wouldn't an employer fire an employee that disrespected a paying client? You bet he would.

Old 09-25-2017, 10:40 AM

9,742 posts, read 4,496,886 times
Quote:
GUESS is the key word.

In this matter that is all any of us are doing. You're saying it will hurt the NFL. Next Patriot home game can we expect half-empty stadium then?

Old 09-25-2017, 10:44 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,706,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
Then you can do it on your dime. what part of all of this escapes you people?

The fan paid to watch a sporting event, if you are a player who wants to play SJW, then do it on your own time, don't trick the fans into paying for it.

Your right to free speech ends, when it negatively impacts the rights of someone elses rights. I have a right to get what I paid for. I paid to watch a football game, not to watch your SJW antics.

If you want to kneel and play SJW, then do it on your time, on your dime. Is that too difficult a concept for you to grasp?
Has the clock started when they are kneeling?
If not, it isn't impacting the actual game, is it?

Old 09-25-2017, 10:46 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,903,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandraMoore66 View Post
Yeah, expect sometimes you pay and not know they're going to be spouting off...

My point is that rarely would a business put up with you making a political statement. OK so NFL is different. If the employers want to back them up, then let's see how this affects their ratings. Once the $ loss kicks in, I'm sure they will be changing their tune.
I think the projected losses from kneelgate are overstated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies