Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should football players and university professors be easy to fire for their views?
Football players and university professors can be fired for their views. 142 43.03%
Neither can be fired for their views 188 56.97%
Voters: 330. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2017, 11:51 AM

9,094 posts, read 6,317,546 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
Maybe watching thugs and criminals giving each other brain injuries isn't as much fun as it used to be. Who knows?
All the high profile people in the entertainment industry (pro sports and Hollywood) lead cushy lives but constantly *****, moan, whine and complain. They are so out of touch with regular people like me and I just don't want to support any of it anymore.

4,067 posts, read 2,273,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blanker View Post
I like that they kneel for the national anthem. It looks like more respect is being given. They should bow down to a country that gave them such opportunity. Keep kneeling, boys.
It's funny because that was my first thought when I saw it happen for the first time.

18,466 posts, read 15,250,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unit731 View Post
Thank God we have the ACLU to protect Freedom of Speech. Liked or disliked - this country was founded on Freedom of Speech.

Someone else needs to go back to school.
I doubt the ACLU would prevail if this were a court case. Not only is he espousing views that don't necessarily represent his employer's views, but he is doing it within the workplace. His employer has a right to free speech as well. If this employee is misrepresenting the message the employer is trying to convey, the employer has every right to fire him. If he worked behind the counter of a store, and he was espousing views from behind the counter that drove away customers, should the employer be legally bound to keep him on board?

1,834 posts, read 2,695,641 times
Flag burning is not about race. It is a about terrorism and attacking the USA!

Old 09-24-2017, 11:52 AM

296 posts, read 232,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado Rambler View Post
And you are the person who is being disingenuous. For those who missed it, here's exactly what Trump said:

"When people like yourselves turn on television and you see those people taking the knee when they are playing our great national anthem – the only thing you could do better is if you see it, even if it's one player, leave the stadium," Trump said. "I guarantee things will stop."

"People like yourselves" get to kick "those people" out of the stadium. How much more blunt can you be?

Trump is at it again. Making divisive statements at rallies and threatening those who exercise their right to free speech.

How many more cornerstones to democracy will Trump attack?

We have freedom of the press - Trump's bullying of reporters and making threats to CNN. Fake news!

We have freedom of religion - Trump's travel ban of those from Muslim countries.

We have freedom of speech - no black football players and their like-minded friends KNEELING in protest of racism.
On and on.
People "like yourself" should get a clue.
You are trying to make it about race! He said noting about race. You think you're so sharp trying to read in between some lines that just aren't there.

Old 09-24-2017, 11:54 AM

12,265 posts, read 6,472,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydney123 View Post
He didn't say any "black" player.. he said "ANY" player who disrespected our flag. You're the one who is trying to make it about race.
How about a player who trashes our POWs? That would sure put orange Jane Fonda in a bad spot.

Old 09-24-2017, 11:56 AM

8,384 posts, read 4,367,951 times
Trump is tearing our country apart.

Old 09-24-2017, 11:56 AM

4,067 posts, read 2,273,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TristramShandy View Post
And if they really are fans, they won't bat an eye.

I'm white, I'm male, I make well over $60,000 a year. And I'll be at the bar watching the Steelers take on the Bears tomorrow. Anyone who won't watch the game for some players who are expressing their First Amendment rights doesn't like football or is a Commie.
A commie? Really?

Old 09-24-2017, 11:58 AM

8,498 posts, read 4,561,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmagoo View Post
How about a player who trashes our POWs?
Do you mean Donald Trump, he of multiple draft deferments, with his attacks on decorated POW John McCain?

Old 09-24-2017, 11:58 AM

12,350 posts, read 9,720,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
Not really. There are still ways to protest that don't involve doing it at work. I can't believe the owners don't tell these people to stop or they will not play. What team owner wants to alienate half its viewing audience?

That being said, I don't know why Trump feels the need to wade into this mess. It's just stupid.
On the contrary - it's the right thing to do. It's called leadership....it's called being real, as opposed to an empty suit of the kind we've suffered for far too long. Trump is exactly what we've long wanted....and needed....to get our country back on track.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies