Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should football players and university professors be easy to fire for their views?
Football players and university professors can be fired for their views. 142 43.03%
Neither can be fired for their views 188 56.97%
Voters: 330. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2017, 05:17 AM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,176,155 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Football players and university professors can be fired for their views.
Let the football players protest on their own time, not during work hours during the games and while the National Anthem is being sung.

As to university professors, Imo they have to take a more open-minded neutral stance and not be influencing their students in their political leanings. Teachers and professors are in a position of authority to their students, and to be so open about their political views is an abuse of their power, akin to why they are not allowed to date their students either.

Old 09-29-2017, 05:25 AM

7,800 posts, read 4,401,311 times
From the NY Daily News:

Quote:
Donald Trump first feuded with the NFL over three decades ago and time has not healed all wounds. Now it looks like he's using his unexpected power of the Presidency to attempt to bully the NFL and its players and finally get even.
Trump's feud with NFL may be result of failures in USFL era

As has been said multiple times, this whole controversy is an artificial and made up. When will Trump's base get tired of being manipulated?

Old 09-29-2017, 05:26 AM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,176,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenFresno View Post
I can see why NFL players would be concerned about police brutality seeing as they get arrested on an almost weekly rate. Issues like this really hit home for these guys. As fans we need to see life through their eyes, walk a mile in their shoes. I know that if I was a violently aggressive, coked out, roided up millionaire and I was beating my wife I wouldn't want the cops to show up and rough me up.
Exactly. Instead, the players should be protesting against domestic violence and encouraging a sensible lifestyle, one that doesn't lead to becoming destitute and all alone in their old age.

Isn't the NFL and the game of football a terminal endeavour? With all the brain injury research coming out and the eventual lawsuits, the sport is going to have to change very drastically and the NFL will also have to make some very big payouts.

Old 09-29-2017, 05:30 AM

1,700 posts, read 1,045,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
You are going to boycott private citizens how?

Old 09-29-2017, 06:01 AM

16,278 posts, read 10,418,527 times
The entire country has lost it's collective minds. I wasn't a fan of Kap's method, it angered me, but I certainly understood his message. It was going along with a handful of players a week until the President threw gasoline on the issue and it has blown up in a way that was unimaginable two weeks ago. Yet another example of how the President is splitting the country in half, we are once again a nation divided. The coaches just want to win a game, now they are in a no-win situation. No matter how they try to handle it someone is pissed.

Now we have 30 year season ticket holders burning their tickets, giving up something they are passionate about over this issue. This is crazy.

Old 09-29-2017, 06:08 AM

51,654 posts, read 25,828,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
The entire country has lost it's collective minds. I wasn't a fan of Kap's method, it angered me, but I certainly understood his message. It was going along with a handful of players a week until the President threw gasoline on the issue and it has blown up in a way that was unimaginable two weeks ago. Yet another example of how the President is splitting the country in half, we are once again a nation divided. ... This is crazy.
Step back and it makes perfect sense.

Russia is working all over the world to divide nations.

Mueller is interviewing Trump staff. Spicer kept a diary. Grassley is talking subpoenas to get the documents the WH is refusing to supply Congress. ...

Divide and distract meets both Trump and Putin's goals.

Old 09-29-2017, 06:37 AM

16,278 posts, read 10,418,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
Step back and it makes perfect sense.

Russia is working all over the world to divide nations.

Mueller is interviewing Trump staff. Spicer kept a diary. Grassley is talking subpoenas to get the documents the WH is refusing to supply Congress. ...

Divide and distract meets both Trump and Putin's goals.

The fact that the President is proud of this entire S storm he has created is amazing. Even for him.

I hate this man so much

Old 09-29-2017, 06:39 AM
TKO

4,153 posts, read 4,278,839 times
It's a smal percentage of NFL players that are truly bad guys. But like welfare moms, the one who buys steak with her food stamps is the face of all them for the right. Why do republicans see only the bad in everyone but themselves and their fearless leader? It's like they have blinders on. Is it the way they were raised?

I give black people the benefit of the doubt. I'm not black and I'm not going to suggest that I know their experience better than they do. Who am I to tell them their concerns are full of it? That seems the height of arrogance to me and very shameful.

Old 09-29-2017, 08:22 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,903,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissAngie View Post
Step #1: Tell me exactly what the problem is that creates the need for these protests. You may have to give specific examples.

Step #2: Provide information and/or data that these problems are so common that they require divisive, widespread protests.

Step #3: Give possible solutions. Protesting on its own has little meaning unless there are workable answers.

If all three of these steps are met, I will not only agree with the protests, but I will protest too.
One was slightly covered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
1. Was initially for the mistreatment of minorities specifically African Americans by law enforcement. The other steps are on you if you feel so inclined
This was why several players namely Kappernick, Lynch and Miller did. They did that to bring the issue of racial bias in police brutality to the forefront. There is a good amount of credence to this claim though it is rarely done because every single time it goes in front of a hand jury to bring up charges, they rule to not. So much so when I heard the Freddy Gray ruling, I said "At this point why even bother with taking possible police charges to a grand jury because everytime it is ruled they are above the law and not charged and just cost tax payers with waste."

That said, Trump awoke Atlas in challenging the NFL for the actions of a handful of players especially the week before. I don't remember anyone talking about the kneeling players since Lynch did it in a pre-season game until Trump's big mouth spouting it in a campaign rally and going farther on Twitter. Trump caused this. He poured gasoline on a smoldering campfire and then wonders why we had a forest fire.

Old 09-29-2017, 08:38 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,903,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Allan Trafton View Post
Many of these NFL players have forgotten that the NFL is a business, not a social service agency or advocacy group. A few posts back a poster mentioned how insufficient a 17.9% drop in sales is. I don't see it this way, almost 20% is hard to make up, especially in today's tough media entertainment market. Every percent or so is a battle.

The players have absolutely no clue concerning the business end. Their hubris is off the charts. They act as if the NFL is a drug and the fans will follow them no matter what. No business ever has offended such a large percent of it's customer base - ever. It shocking to be honest.
I think the thing is since the lockouts of the 1980's, the NFL has been king. No league can negotiate better than them for ads that launch specifically with their games or with networks for the TV deals everytime. The NFL is a huge money maker and has so far seemingly survived the concussion/CTE issues, the domestic violence crisis of a few years ago, Deflategate during a Coference title game, and kneeling up until this point (CTE is ratings based, not pipeline as we won't know until a few years for sure.) It is fine for them to be cocky because like Donald Trump, the NFL is Telfon when it comes to issues. The NFL has been challenged but everytime they proved to be king. As quoted from the movie concussion about the concussions, Concussion, "They own a day of the week."

That said I do see a drop. I don't know how bad it will be because there is already a decline with Sunday Night games due to challenging outlets and Thursday Night Football on NFL Network and CBS has proven to be a total failure due to pre-existing viewing patterns on a Thursday. Monday Night Football as of 2006 is different since it went from ABC, a broadcast network to ESPN, a cable network. I don't think it will be 20% but to your point of a 20% drop, it is a loss the NFL can take. If this happened to MLS or the WNBA, it may kill those leagues due to lack of fans. As I said before, the NFL is HUUUUGE. Two billionaires have tried to fight the NFL with their own football leagues and failed, Trump and Vince McMahon. The NFL has a pull on the fans that most leagues don't have.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies