Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should football players and university professors be easy to fire for their views?
Football players and university professors can be fired for their views. 142 43.03%
Neither can be fired for their views 188 56.97%
Voters: 330. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2017, 06:23 PM

3,106 posts, read 1,771,128 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Kneeling is NOT disrespectful. To say that there are problems is NOT disrespectful.

You simply do not want to face up to these problems so you describe something in a way it is not. There is NOTHING disrespectful in kneeling.
Sorry, you cannot force me or many many others to see what they are doing as anything but disrespectful. There are many ways that they can respectfully say there are problems. Kneeling during the anthem is not one of them.

Old 09-26-2017, 06:24 PM

18,025 posts, read 27,472,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobisinthehouse View Post
Will this hurt the NFL? I don't think so, the players are all millionaires and the owners are billionaires.

I just think the whole season is ruined, if this keeps up.
It will.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biker53 View Post
Sorry, you cannot force me or many many others to see what they are doing as anything but disrespectful. There are many ways that they can respectfully say there are problems. Kneeling during the anthem is not one of them.
Yeah, like going out and voting.

Old 09-26-2017, 06:26 PM

3,106 posts, read 1,771,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
And after all that the white folks would be open to it and change their minds? That's just a bunch of noise
OK, so what is it about disrespecting the flag and anthem that's supposed to make me open to their grievances if all those other options are not seen as acceptable ways of getting their message out?

79,907 posts, read 44,222,338 times
Quote:
I understand that you will not allow your bigotry to see anything but what you want to see. Kneeling has never been anything other than respectful. You do not get to change that.

7,934 posts, read 8,594,808 times
I don't understand what the big deal is either. Let them make their little statement if it makes them feel better. It's all just window dressing anyway. Multi-millionaire athletes and the greed machine that surrounds them is part of everything that is wrong with this country in the first place, so they don't exactly occupy the moral high ground IMO.

Old 09-26-2017, 06:29 PM

26,191 posts, read 21,595,618 times
Quote:
OK, so what is it about disrespecting the flag and anthem that's supposed to make me open to their grievances if all those other options are not seen as acceptable ways of getting their message out?

We differ on believing kneeling is disrespectful but outside of that the amount of attention this is drawing vastly outweighs billboards, it's quick and cost zero to boot

Old 09-26-2017, 06:47 PM

54,498 posts, read 33,871,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
Unless you pay the athletes directly you aren't the one who decides whom is overpaid. The owners decide and to downplay the fact that these folks just "play a game" greatly ignores the skills they have, if it was easy and so lucrative anyone could do it. Those who also say they just "play a game" also overlook the incredible about of work these folks have to do as it's certainly not a just show up Sunday for 16 weeks and before anyone says "I'd go play a game for a hell of a lot less" we'll go do it, if you can't get hired then realize you aren't skilled enough or worth it. I'd also like to know what makes this group "spoiled" if you'd care to tell me
Many players took a knee or sat during the anthem, while some entire teams remained in the locker rooms. Most fans disapproved of this and in my opinion, it's a "Spoiled" behavior.

Old 09-26-2017, 06:49 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,959,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zzzSnorlax View Post
Westborough Baptist Church protests the funerals of dead soldiers and holds up signs that they deserved to die. They are still protected, that is much a more personal and destructive disrespect than merely kneeling during the national anthem. And when people punch them for it, they sue them in court, and win.
The Westboro Baptist Church doesn't do this ON THE JOB. That's the difference. Do you honestly not see this?

Old 09-26-2017, 06:50 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,959,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vacoder View Post
Every think why they even play the anthem at a commercial entertainment event? I mean they didn't at any high school events. Even ones I paid for.

Seems major league sports at one time or another started using it as a commercial device to lure people in. Kind of disrespectful in my eyes.
Really? At every high school football game I've ever attended (in Texas) they played the national anthem and everyone stood and sang.

Old 09-26-2017, 06:51 PM

8,665 posts, read 5,850,418 times
Angry Trump fumbles 1st Amendment football

USA TODAY
Someone, please find Donald Trump a copy of the Constitution — preferably a simplified version with pictures and charts. Once he absorbs what it says, perhaps he will stop trying to tear it apart.

Trump is angry at athletes for exercising their right to speech; but his anger did not begin there. Last February, at a campaign rally in Texas, Donald Trump spoke of "open(ing) up libel laws." He never explained exactly what he meant but clearly is fed up with the First Amendment, which prohibits denying freedom of speech and the press.
Athletes and journalists are not his only targets. Last November, Trump suggested imprisoning people or revoking their citizenship if they burned an American flag. Never mind that the Supreme Court has already come down on the other side of that issue.
Trump fumbles 1st Amendment football

Trump is a disgusting Fascist!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies