Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should football players and university professors be easy to fire for their views?
Football players and university professors can be fired for their views. 142 43.03%
Neither can be fired for their views 188 56.97%
Voters: 330. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2017, 11:30 PM

18,021 posts, read 27,468,060 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
Amen. And the public can take DirectTv's offer up, drop the NFL package, and get a full refund.
Ha! Folks are burning their jerseys now.

Refreshing to see burning a #58 Jersey rather than the American Flag.

This is turning out to be a really big deal.

We are polarized. Nothing like stupid football will change that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELOrocks17 View Post
Here is the statistics..

http://www.sumogirl.com/sumomambo/im...20violence.jpg

So what are they kneeling for?
Nice stats. What's the stats for black on black violence in South Chicago? I'm sure CNN is reporting that as I type.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladybug07 View Post
Just think this all went down on Gold Star Mothers Day too.

Cowboys owner said Monday night it was about equality and unity.
What is Jerry Jone$ motivated by?

I'll give you one guess.

Question is, who do show unity with? Fans or the Mainstream? Fans will forgive?

We'll see. I say tune into Fox channel 360 and leave that league, the No Fans League to the lefties for a while.

Maybe they'll learn a thing or two, like how a scoreboard works.

Last edited by Ibginnie; 09-27-2017 at 09:30 AM.. Reason: edited quoted post

Old 09-26-2017, 11:43 PM

4,344 posts, read 5,798,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
Are you really that clueless? Kaepertwat has started his little tantrum in support of a racist hate group over a year ago. You know...when Obama was president? And people noticed and voiced their disgust from the very first day. The same NFL that permitted this BANNED support for 9-11 victims. The same NFL banned a show of respect for police officers murdered at the hand of BLM supporters. Trump simply said what the vast majority of this country thought and many had already stated. And once again-he was right.
Just think this all went down on Gold Star Mothers Day too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
Taking a knee has got nothing to do with the flag, or the military. It's about unarmed black people being murdered by cops and DOJ not doing a damn thing about it.

Rs tried to divide the nation over flag burning some years ago. Senator Bob Kerry, decorated veteran, called it out for the despicable partisan BS it was. Mercifully, Rs moved on to some other nonsense.

Looks like their taking another swing at it.

Damn deplorables.
Cowboys owner said Monday night it was about equality and unity.

Old 09-27-2017, 12:13 AM

10,920 posts, read 6,912,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
So - thanks to Presidential tweeting, the NFL and the football fans hate each other now. I am so happy we didn't elect someone divisive.
It's funny when people say things like "Obama was the great divider"...and then we have things like this. Trump in 2 days has done more to inflame this issue than what a few football players kneeling over the last few years did under Obama.

Obama, for all of his faults (and I'll certainly never claim he was perfect - hell, I doubt HE would claim that), at least didn't take to Twitter and pour gallons upon gallons of fuel. He certainly didn't agree with everyone, but he knew how to talk to people who didn't agree with him (most of the time). Even if he played politics, as all politicians did, he did genuinely seem interested in at least hearing the other side. And he respected people's free speech, even if that speech disagreed with his or his party's opinions.

Honestly - this isn't a high bar here, either. Most presidents were this way. Trump is the outlier.

I've never seen a politician as divisive as Trump. And after he leaves, I doubt we will for a long time.

Old 09-27-2017, 01:34 AM

12,547 posts, read 9,938,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyMac18 View Post
It's funny when people say things like "Obama was the great divider"...and then we have things like this. Trump in 2 days has done more to inflame this issue than what a few football players kneeling over the last few years did under Obama.

Obama, for all of his faults (and I'll certainly never claim he was perfect - hell, I doubt HE would claim that), at least didn't take to Twitter and pour gallons upon gallons of fuel. He certainly didn't agree with everyone, but he knew how to talk to people who didn't agree with him (most of the time). Even if he played politics, as all politicians did, he did genuinely seem interested in at least hearing the other side. And he respected people's free speech, even if that speech disagreed with his or his party's opinions.

Honestly - this isn't a high bar here, either. Most presidents were this way. Trump is the outlier.

I've never seen a politician as divisive as Trump. And after he leaves, I doubt we will for a long time.
LOL - Obama the great uniter. Revisionist history like this borders on a psychiatric disorder. This issue was birthed under Obama and Trump doesn't say anything if it doesn't grow to point of millions upon millions of people being fed up with disrespectful BS.

Old 09-27-2017, 02:38 AM

14,848 posts, read 8,210,859 times
I'm pretty sure that McDonald's can fire me if I stage a protest while I'm "On-the-clock".

If the NFL players want to protest in their free-time, more power to them. But if their employer says they aren't allowed to protest while "on the job"(which has been a longstanding policy of the NFL), then if they violate this policy, they should be able to fire them.

And if you don't like it, don't watch the NFL. I don't.

Old 09-27-2017, 03:08 AM

11,904 posts, read 5,589,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AADAD View Post
I thought so. They have no idea what they are doing....herd mentality. It's fascist making strong men kneel for no good reason other than a belief which is a falsehood. Worked for Hitler.
Who is "making" them kneel?

Old 09-27-2017, 03:31 AM

31,340 posts, read 14,270,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catgirl64 View Post
Who is "making" them kneel?
Peer pressure, herd mentality. Not wanting to go against 'group think'.

Old 09-27-2017, 04:04 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,310,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AADAD View Post
What are they protesting?
That has been answered NUMEROUS times in this thread and across the internet. If you don't know by now, its because you don't WANT to know.

Old 09-27-2017, 04:06 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,310,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
the fact that they are protesting doesnt bother me, what bothers me is HOW they are protesting. you want to protest police brutality, then go down to the cop shop, grab a sign, and walk a picket line for a few hours or so. i got no problem with that as long as you dont disrupt the day to day comings and goings of the officers. or you can go to city hall meetings and voice your opinions in public where they will do the most good, the city fathers.

but you dont **** off your fan base by disrespecting the flag and the country.
I quite simply don't believe you. I've seen numerous protests over the past five years or so and no matter what tact these protesters take...people tell them they should not be protesting in the first place.

Old 09-27-2017, 04:06 AM

11,904 posts, read 5,589,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerGeek40 View Post
Peer pressure, herd mentality. Not wanting to go against 'group think'.
It seems to me that they are facing a great deal of pressure, but not from their peers.

Before last Friday, the whole "taking a knee" thing was really not on the radar for anyone who doesn't watch football. Some players did it, lots didn't, and most people didn't seem to care much. Then Trump unleashed a tweet storm, and overnight, it became a national obsession. Not only that, but the motivation changed. What started as an act of protest against police brutality became an act defiance against a man who insists that things be done his way. Do the team managers and owners have a right to fire these players? Yes, they do. Does Trump have a right to demand that they fire them? No, he does not.

I don't watch football. I heard about the kneeling thing now and then, because I have a housemate who does, and in the interest of full disclosure, she does not like it. The thing is, the minute Trump started talking about what people "have to" do to show their respect to the flag and the country, I started feeling like taking a knee, myself, JUST BECAUSE I CAN. That impulse has nothing at all to do with disrespecting the US, and everything to do with loving the freedom it represents.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies