Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should football players and university professors be easy to fire for their views?
Football players and university professors can be fired for their views. 142 43.03%
Neither can be fired for their views 188 56.97%
Voters: 330. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2017, 09:43 AM

29,551 posts, read 9,729,968 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgn2013 View Post
The NFL DOES NOT have a rule about players being required to stand for the anthem. However, the NBA does have a "you must stand" policy in their bylaws.

There's lots of overlap between Confederate statue/flag sympathizers and people that are anti-kneeling during the anthem....
Sometimes pictures ARE worth a thousand words. If yours doesn't nail it, sure does come awfully close...

Thanks! Made my morning!

Old 10-01-2017, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
McCain is only a slimeball because he stood up to el presidents. I am one of these "liberals" who voted McCain in 08. I wouldn't vote him again because DeVos paid him off to vote her secretary of education
McCain had Palin hitched to his wagon and much of that misguided support for Palin is the same that we see soon to follow with Trump. I suspect the same sort of reveal about Palin that proved McCain's demise is much like we're seeing with Trump that I hope won't prove America's demise.

Old 10-01-2017, 09:57 AM

6,732 posts, read 5,176,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerGeek40 View Post
Gee, this may be the easiest rebuttal ever.
Have you noticed that Hillary won't SHUT UP about her loss? That's why we on the right keep talking about Hillary.
Hey, check this out.

I'm not a fan of Hillary. I have never voted for her and never will, have never supported her and never will. I wouldn't trust her to watch my dogs. And I couldn't care less what she has to say.

So you know what? I don't pay attention to anything she says or does. New book? Couldn't tell you the title. Her opinions? Don't know anything about them. The only time I see what's going on with Hillary is reading through thread titles on this forum started by Trump supporters.

It's like she has some mind control over these so-called adults who can't help but talk about a woman they claim they don't care about.

Old 10-01-2017, 09:58 AM

So many logical fallacies! Ad hominems, hypothetical generalities, non sequiturs, knee benders and pussyhats...

"I object, your honor! This trial is a travesty. It's a travesty of a mockery of a sham of a mockery of a travesty of two mockeries of a sham."

Old 10-01-2017, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbmaise View Post
I assure you WK is a real person. Good practice for me when thinking I have to spend Christmas Holiday with my brother who is a classic gun toting GOP conservative on his second wife who smokes, gambles, and pretends to be religious.
No matter how much practice you may get here dealing with the likes, I'd skip Christmas if I were you...

Old 10-01-2017, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Comparing kneeling to walking into Mass with your dick swinging.

Do I really need to explain the hyperbole here?

Kneeling has never been disrespectful. If this is the length one has to go to show it is........

Walking into anywhere outside of a locker room with your dick swinging is of course going to be considered unacceptable. Probably get you arrested.

Kneeling has always been a sign of respect
Though I pretty well understand and agree with where you're coming from, about kneeling not being disrespectful generally speaking, I think what makes for disrespect depends entirely on the circumstances and one's perspective...

Used to be that if you didn't rise from your chair when a woman entered the room, you were being disrespectful. We could probably all go on about all sorts of symbolic gestures that were once upon a time considered respectful that today are not, all to say that respect and/or disrespect is mostly in the eyes of the beholder and a function of the times.

Obviously, when Kaepernick took a knee rather than stand for the national anthem, some viewed that act as disrespectful. It was a break from tradition which many consider disrespectful. Most who bother to consider what Kap actually had in mind when he took a knee understand that his intent was not to be disrespectful. I put a lot of emphasis on intent when it comes to judging what people do.

It is so easy to understand how people associate certain thoughts, beliefs and feelings with certain traditions that others don't feel the same way about. Religion and nationalism rely heavily on promoting such traditions to help followers identify, band together, promote their beliefs and feelings and/or recognize those who don't share them.

We all know our flag is a symbol that represents our country. "An anthem is a musical composition of celebration, usually used as a symbol for a distinct group, particularly the national anthems of countries." Our national anthem is also for purposes of celebration.

All you might say intended to represent America, but what America represents is not so universally understood or agreed upon. Whether what is happening in America is cause for celebration or protest is also dependent on who you ask...

Whether we might agree about any of the above is one thing. Of course we will not for all our various reasons, but to suggest that protesting rather than celebrating is un-American or disrespectful of America rather than as intended by the protesters/dissenters, this is simply wrong. Just as wrong as to suggest the vast majority of Americans are in agreement with Trump about this. More accurate is the fact that NFL demographics align very closely with Trump supporter demographics, so no wonder the fall out in terms of viewers, membership and the rest. Right?

Ultimately this is not really about the NFL, Trump or what our flag represents. This is about our freedom of speech, freedom of expression, with no strings attached. That freedom -- without intimidation from on high -- is far more what America is about than dictating what we can or cannot say, or do, or protest in a peaceful, lawful manner!

Come on already!

Old 10-01-2017, 10:42 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,828,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
I'm not racist, nor am I stupid. I know people didn't like MLK at the time, but they lost. Why? Because MLK was a lot smarter and a better strategic thinker than these guys. They have a media totally on their side and a huge platform to be heard, but they choose to protest in a way that pisses off the people they want to reach. That's bad strategy, and I'm not racist for thinking it or pointing it out.

Apparently people think all white people want to hate black people. That's stupid. I don't hate black people. I'm not trying to hold onto some stereotype in my mind about black people. I have neighbors and friends and even family members who are black.

Oh, and I brought up violence regarding the BLM protests, and sympathetic regarding the anthem protests.
Sigh...I didn't even say you were racist...

Quit being so defensive, I spoke directly to what you mentioned regarding MLK, violence and the type of protest the NFL players are engaged in. I did not mention BLM and they have nothing to do with this.

And note that MLK "lost" because he lost his life. Who is "they" who you think lost? And you don't know that MLK was smarter than anyone. Honestly, I think you are in over your head when you brought up MLK. He has nothing to do with this and they are taking a page from his book (they as in Kap and the NFL players) by engaging in a non-violent protest that actually is strategic.

No one said all white people want to hate black people either. Please stay focused. Don't equate MLK with NFL players who are emulating him - they are not trying to be him and you are not knowledgeable about their intelligence. Also just because we are discussing a protest by primarily black men doesn't mean that I or other black people believe that all whites are racist or you hate black people or want to hate black people (I'll note I find it very odd that white people say this anytime blacks say or do anything they don't like - they try to victimize themselves while at the same time tell blacks to stop being victims, it is very hypocritical and contradictory).

On "sympathetic protests" again taking a knee is a sign of honor, it is sympathetic to veterans who aren't defensive or closeted racist and who are making everything about themselves, while ignoring the fact that a disproportionate amount of black men and women are actually veterans. Also the protest is not about veterans. Only our idiot President and ignorant people keep bringing up vets as if our anthem is only about veterans or the flag is only about veterans or a symbol for veterans when neither are not.

Old 10-01-2017, 10:45 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,537,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
And the NFL still got paid by the season ticket holders that burnt their tickets. If you are a season ticket holder and really want to send your displeasure, ask for a pro-rated refund for the next five-seven games. Burning or reselling your ticket still has the money the tram and the NFL get off of the game going to them.
OR instead of a meaningless gesture like burning; how about selling them and giving the money to a Veterans group who conservatives purport to care so much about?

Now that would mean something,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pemgin View Post
To the authoritarians who are so beside themselves that people are exercising their right to peaceful protest: Where and when could they protest that would be acceptable to you?
There is none. If they block the streets, conservatives promise to run them down. There is nothing that would be acceptable to them.

Old 10-01-2017, 10:53 AM

18,025 posts, read 27,472,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pemgin View Post
To the authoritarians who are so beside themselves that people are exercising their right to peaceful protest: Where and when could they protest that would be acceptable to you?
This reminds me of anti-Trump women protesting by wearing vagines on their head... Also protesting women who voted for Trump, all the while, Trump-supporting women did their own little protest.

They protested by going to the voting booth.

Old 10-01-2017, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGowdog View Post
This reminds me of anti-Trump women protesting by wearing vagines on their head... Also protesting women who voted for Trump, all the while, Trump-supporting women did their own little protest.

They protested by going to the voting booth.
Not most of them. Enough, however, to make a difference. Either way, this about voting as a form of protest is a new one on me...

Those who voted for Trump (and we all know those demographics by now) are apparently those mostly wanting to maintain the status quo, wanting to "make America great again," as in back in the day. Backward not forward. These are not the people inclined to protest about much. The gate keepers at the castle are not going to protest like those who can't get into the castle...

The one exception about supporting the status quo when it comes to Trump supporters is with regard to politics in general, politicians. Trump supporters want people who are not politicians to run the country. Older white male business people, the more wealthy = successful = the better. Some people voted for that sort of thing. That's not the sort of thing you protest to bring about...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies