Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should football players and university professors be easy to fire for their views?
Football players and university professors can be fired for their views. 142 43.03%
Neither can be fired for their views 188 56.97%
Voters: 330. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2017, 07:27 PM

9,437 posts, read 7,372,524 times

Advertisements

Yahoo Finance survey
https://www.surveymonkey.com/results/SM-VJMSYGWV8/
Do you feel it is wrong for players to kneel during the national anthem? 77.39% Yes

The raw data shows that when asked, “What has changed about your relationship with the NFL?” 80 percent said they will watch less football on TV because of the controversy and more than 53 percent said they are more supportive of Trump since his remarks last month that the protests are disrespectful to the U.S., its flag and the men and women in the military and law enforcement who sacrifice to protect all Americans.

Yahoo Finance said of its poll:

“In our survey, we wanted to suss out whether the anthem flap could deal a lasting financial hit to the NFL. The answers suggest it could. When we asked fans if the controversy would make them more or less supportive of the NFL, 71% said less and only 15% said more. Of those who said they are now less supportive, 74% said their change of heart was permanent, and only 3% said they felt it was temporary.”
Devastating Poll for NFL: 80 Percent Say They

I'm sure liberals will claim that Yahoo is now a biased source and that the majority still agree with them, in spite of reality.

Old 10-01-2017, 07:31 PM

9,742 posts, read 4,498,256 times
Went to the sports bar to watch the games. Electric as usual. Only game I noticed the crows was Pittsburgh and Baltimore. Looked sold out.

Old 10-01-2017, 07:48 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,609,273 times
Default Rush Limbaugh on NFL anthem controversy: 'The left has hijacked this game'

Conservative talk radio host Rush Limbaugh weighed in Thursday on the ongoing furor over NFL players kneeling during "The Star-Spangled Banner," telling Fox News' "Hannity" that "the left has hijacked this game."

Rush Limbaugh on NFL anthem controversy: 'The left has hijacked this game' | Fox News

Old 10-01-2017, 07:52 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,027,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roderic View Post
This is absurd.

The point of a PUBLIC protest is to attract attention to self. Making a 'Letter To The Editor' with your name on the letter is another way. Using your social eminence, like celebrities often do, to express your opinions is another way. All in all, it is about attracting attention to you.

Your argument is contradictory: Am making a pubic protest but I do not want you to look at me.

That make no sense.
I realize the point of a public protest is to draw attention. However, that does not mean you have to give them your attention. During the 1.5 minutes that the anthem is playing, you could instead be giving your attention to the flag. No one is forcing you to look at the players while your attention should be elsewhere.

Old 10-01-2017, 07:54 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,796,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haakon View Post
Yahoo Finance survey
https://www.surveymonkey.com/results/SM-VJMSYGWV8/
Do you feel it is wrong for players to kneel during the national anthem? 77.39% Yes

The raw data shows that when asked, “What has changed about your relationship with the NFL?” 80 percent said they will watch less football on TV because of the controversy and more than 53 percent said they are more supportive of Trump since his remarks last month that the protests are disrespectful to the U.S., its flag and the men and women in the military and law enforcement who sacrifice to protect all Americans.

Yahoo Finance said of its poll:

“In our survey, we wanted to suss out whether the anthem flap could deal a lasting financial hit to the NFL. The answers suggest it could. When we asked fans if the controversy would make them more or less supportive of the NFL, 71% said less and only 15% said more. Of those who said they are now less supportive, 74% said their change of heart was permanent, and only 3% said they felt it was temporary.”
Devastating Poll for NFL: 80 Percent Say They

I'm sure liberals will claim that Yahoo is now a biased source and that the majority still agree with them, in spite of reality.
How To Tell Fake News From Real News In 'Post-Truth' Era : NPR
"Is the story set in the future? It's hard to get firsthand reporting from there. Any story that tells you what will happen should be marked down 50 percent for this reason alone."

Time will tell.

Last edited by Katarina Witt; 10-01-2017 at 08:05 PM..

Old 10-01-2017, 08:01 PM

4,512 posts, read 5,057,141 times
And ??

Old 10-01-2017, 08:02 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,222,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roderic View Post
This is dishonest on your part. So I will clarify for the readers: MILLIONS ARE DEMANDING THAT THE PLAYERS/PROTESTERS STOP DOING IT INSIDE THE STADIUM.
Lol.

Quote:
Money talks and for these professional capitalists -- they will stop.

The only professional NFL game I attended was the 1986 exhibition game in Wembley Stadium, UK, with the Bears and Cowboys. I was stationed at RAF Upper Heyford at that time.

The only somewhat 'political' speech we saw was someone, presumably an American, who had a sign that read 'Mike Ditka For President'.

I heard of today's average cost per game...

https://www.cnbc.com/2017/09/08/most...to-attend.html

No, if I paid that much for me and my family to a game, political expressions would not be the last thing I want to see, but would be a thing I do not want to see AT ALL.

Money talks.

We will -- outside the stadium.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Free_speech_zone

No one is putting these players/protesters inside remote 'free speech zones'.

In reality, the stadium is a unique zone catering to unique audiences with unique tastes. All we are asking is to keep your political speech to yourself while inside this small area of America for a couple of hrs. Then once you are outside this small zone and into the larger America, speak and we will listen.

Explain why is this unreasonable.
You can do what you want. Watch...it's going to expand into the NBA.

Old 10-01-2017, 08:14 PM

16,569 posts, read 15,281,778 times
He once said there is a war on SUVs. Everybody laughed.

Old 10-01-2017, 08:16 PM

16,569 posts, read 15,281,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodpete View Post
And ??
Your wish coming true?

Old 10-01-2017, 08:21 PM

10,513 posts, read 5,169,235 times
The left didn't hijack the game. Trump is the one who started it with the "son of a bltch" comment. Trump likes to play identity politics and divide people by race or beliefs. It's an Alt-Right strategy created by Steve Bannon, and even though he's gone, Trump is continuing with it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies