Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should football players and university professors be easy to fire for their views?
Football players and university professors can be fired for their views. 142 43.03%
Neither can be fired for their views 188 56.97%
Voters: 330. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2017, 11:19 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,210,872 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WannaliveinGreenville View Post
Would you go to church with your Boom Box playing loudly, while the preacher is speaking?

Would you go to your child's Parent-Teacher conference with a T-shirt on that said "%$%@ the Police!"

Would you go to your aging parents house, who are on a fixed income and eat everything in their refrigerator?

Would you keep standing on a crowded bus, not offering your seat, if a 9 months pregnant woman was standing there looking weary and exhausted?

All of these, most of us would not do the above. They are signs of respect for church, parents, strangers on a bus and teachers.
Kneeling has always been a sign of respect. Kneeling is saying "here I am, I have something to say, please listen". No one as of yet has shown where kneeling has ever in any situation been disrespectful.

The facts are, those like yourself do NOT want to hear what they have to say.

8th Baltimore police officer indicted in federal racketeering case, accused of robbing residents - Baltimore Sun

Body camera footage shows indicted Baltimore officers violating man's rights, attorney alleges - Baltimore Sun

Nearly 300 Baltimore Criminal Cases Dropped Over Police Misconduct - Hit & Run : Reason.com

Old 10-01-2017, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
Though I pretty well understand and agree with where you're coming from, about kneeling not being disrespectful generally speaking, I think what makes for disrespect depends entirely on the circumstances and one's perspective...

Used to be that if you didn't rise from your chair when a woman entered the room, you were being disrespectful. We could probably all go on about all sorts of symbolic gestures that were once upon a time considered respectful that today are not, all to say that respect and/or disrespect is mostly in the eyes of the beholder and a function of the times.
No, raising from your chair is still considered respectful, just not that many people do it. You are twisting things.

Quote:
Obviously, when Kaepernick took a knee rather than stand for the national anthem, some viewed that act as disrespectful. It was a break from tradition which many consider disrespectful. Most who bother to consider what Kap actually had in mind when he took a knee understand that his intent was not to be disrespectful. I put a lot of emphasis on intent when it comes to judging what people do.

It is so easy to understand how people associate certain thoughts, beliefs and feelings with certain traditions that others don't feel the same way about. Religion and nationalism rely heavily on promoting such traditions to help followers identify, band together, promote their beliefs and feelings and/or recognize those who don't share them.

We all know our flag is a symbol that represents our country. "An anthem is a musical composition of celebration, usually used as a symbol for a distinct group, particularly the national anthems of countries." Our national anthem is also for purposes of celebration.

All you might say intended to represent America, but what America represents is not so universally understood or agreed upon. Whether what is happening in America is cause for celebration or protest is also dependent on who you ask...

Whether we might agree about any of the above is one thing. Of course we will not for all our various reasons, but to suggest that protesting rather than celebrating is un-American or disrespectful of America rather than as intended by the protesters/dissenters, this is simply wrong. Just as wrong as to suggest the vast majority of Americans are in agreement with Trump about this. More accurate is the fact that NFL demographics align very closely with Trump supporter demographics, so no wonder the fall out in terms of viewers, membership and the rest. Right?

Ultimately this is not really about the NFL, Trump or what our flag represents. This is about our freedom of speech, freedom of expression, with no strings attached. That freedom -- without intimidation from on high -- is far more what America is about than dictating what we can or cannot say, or do, or protest in a peaceful, lawful manner!

Come on already!
All we had to do was listen. We refuse.

Nearly 300 Baltimore Criminal Cases Dropped Over Police Misconduct - Hit & Run : Reason.com

Old 10-01-2017, 11:30 AM

29,551 posts, read 9,725,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
No, raising from your chair is still considered respectful, just not that many people do it. You are twisting things.

All we had to do was listen. We refuse.

My point was that respect and disrespect is a matter of interpretation, perspective and a function of the times. Of course rising from one's chair is still considered respectful, but not rising is no longer considered disrespectful. Fair? Who is twisting what? You my point I think.

We all listen. To what we want to hear...

Old 10-01-2017, 11:32 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times
no one should be fired for their views, but they should be fired for expressing them at the wrong time an in the wrong place.

Old 10-01-2017, 11:42 AM

33,316 posts, read 12,534,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vacoder View Post
Not really. I personally do find it offensive that people equate a peaceful protest that involves kneeling to the anthem as an attack on veterans. As A vet I can say no one can speaks for all the vets. Some may find that offensive but many will not. Yet many of the people saying it disrespects vets, like Trump, never answered the call. I find that reprehensible. I find it vile that he would use vets to score political points.

I would think all patriotic Trump supporters would call Trump out on this. There should be no debate on this one.
A number of people feel that Trump's message is correct (for lack of a better way to put it...very strong traditional support for the flag, the country, and veterans), but that he is a horrible messenger for that message because:

1. He's a draft dodger....and, beyond that, called trying to avoid getting a STD his 'personal Vietnam'.

2. Given the lack of respect he's shown to at least one of his wives, he shouldn't be schooling anyone else about respect.

However, the numbered points above don't change the general message itself.

More than one of the 20 major party candidate who aren't Hillary or Trump would have made decent messengers for the same general point Trump was making (and I imagine other non Trump supporters (besides me) might feel the same way).

IMO, a number of us who didn't serve still have a right to express our opinions that the behavior in question disrespects vets. I registered, and I would have served if drafted. My father was in the Army and fought on the front lines in Korea. While growing up, I bared quite a bit of the brunt of his PTSD.

Old 10-01-2017, 11:42 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,903,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
OR instead of a meaningless gesture like burning; how about selling them and giving the money to a Veterans group who conservatives purport to care so much about?

Now that would mean something, m.
The NFL still got the money through that.

Old 10-01-2017, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
My point was that respect and disrespect is a matter of interpretation, perspective and a function of the times. Of course rising from one's chair is still considered respectful, but not rising is no longer considered disrespectful. Fair? Who is twisting what? You my point I think.

We all listen. To what we want to hear...
You changed what you said and then blame me for not listening. I don't need to say anything else.

Old 10-01-2017, 11:43 AM

12,022 posts, read 11,575,119 times
Everyone here is a Russian troll. They are cynically pushing both the pro- and anti-kneeling positions on the internet.

Lawmaker: Russian trolls trying to sow discord in NFL kneeling debate

Old 10-01-2017, 11:51 AM

20,169 posts, read 24,334,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy Tea View Post
Really, we can all take a knee during the National Anthem. Because we're all being oppressed by a federal government that has turned against the very people its sworn to serve and protect and both parties have been corrupted. So when someone takes a knee in protest, that's what they're doing, they're speaking out not against the country or just a specific grievance, but against the government that has failed all of us. So take a knee and send our politicians a message that they ALL are on notice that we won't be letting them kick us around anymore.
We're all the Tea Party.
How about two knees? Both elbows? Rump in the air?

That posture would certainly illustrate the government's point of view vis-a-vis its citizens.

Old 10-01-2017, 12:10 PM

1,875 posts, read 650,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Comparing kneeling to walking into Mass with your dick swinging.

Do I really need to explain the hyperbole here?

Kneeling has never been disrespectful. If this is the length one has to go to show it is........

Walking into anywhere outside of a locker room with your dick swinging is of course going to be considered unacceptable. Probably get you arrested.

Kneeling has always been a sign of respect
If you kneel, the action supposed SUBMISSION and that supposition is accepted under most circumstances.

But there is a reason why we do not take a knee at meeting the president and can you tell us what is that reason ?

Humans are wired to be emotional and even irrational. We are first emotional before intellectual. We act only WHEN we feel, not BECAUSE we think. And that goes even for the most intellectual of us. We only fool ourselves into believing that our thoughts compelled us into actions when in reality, our intellect only lends support to whatever it is that we consider worth taking actions to support and/or defend.

Rituals are all about emotions, not intellect. Rituals are about hyperbole. You have to act a certain way to promote a positive idea, therefore, the absence of that action promote the opposite. Actions and their meanings inside a ritual is ALWAY binary: good/bad or black/white or yes/no. If you cannot perform an action, it has to be from physical inability, not from intent, if you do not want the absence of that action to be construed negatively.

For example...If I cannot render a salute to a superior officer, as the ritual expects the right hand, then either my right arm is missing from combat or is somehow otherwise occupied like working with the left arm at carrying something. In that case, the ritual expects an alternate path to express my RESPECT to that officer. That alternate path is at least a verbal acknowledgement of his presence, but not kneeling.

Imagine a private, instead of kneeling, takes to one knee at meeting the Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff. Imagine the private argues that even though his right arm is available, his admiration for this superior officer compels him to get down to one knee. The next meeting for that private would be with his CO, then a psychiatrist.

The ritual expects the salute to be rendered from the STANDING position. If you cannot stand, that means either your legs are lost from combat or that you have them but they are temporarily unable to support you. In this case, the ritual still demand an alternate gesture of respect. You do not have to render the hand salute, because the ritual expects the hand salute WITH the standing position, but if you render the hand salute anyway, the ritual will allow that deviation and still expects the other party of return the hand salute.

When you stand, it is a stressor position. Even more stressful if you stand at what the military calls the 'at attention' posture. Ritualistically, it signifies undivided focus to a target, whatever that maybe. It is absolutely irrational as we know that you can focus even if you lie flat on your back. But as long as the ritual persists in interpreting non-standing as less than full focus, the ritual resorts to its binary condition and promote the idea that that being non-standing as being DISRESPECTFUL. The fact that if a ritual was formulated to contains standing, it further supports the argument that a ritual is first and foremost emotional in scope and to evoke from inside the participant certain feelings. Not intellectual musings. And we accepted these requirements when these rituals were created.

Religion and the military are the only two social groups that formally codifies rituals and exacts punishments for failures to perform those rituals. Nothing hyperbolic about my previous arguments.

If we can infer so much from a military ritual that contains just one simple physical movement, it is no strain of the intellect of what we can interpret from a civilian ritual -- that of standing for the national anthem.

This ritual was informally codified and informally accepted by Americans. But despite this informality, once the ritual was created, it contains all the inherent characters of what is a ritual. Just like formally created and accepted rituals, it expects no deviations of its requirements and if there are any deviation, it automatically implies the negative. So if standing implies respect, non-standing implies disrespect, unless a person is physically unable to do so.

That is why this image of Zachary Stinson at the 2012 Olympics...

...Is so EMOTIONALLY powerful.

Stinson is fully excused from the ritual, military and civilian versions, and yet he persists in putting himself into a stressor posture because internally, he felt that anything less implies DISRESPECT to the objects of the ritual.

It is not that Americans are ignorant of whatever other interpretations of kneeling, but we criticize the kneeling position from inside the ritual.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies