Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-13-2008, 11:50 AM

25,100 posts, read 39,284,003 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobokenkitchen View Post
I think it sounds ridiculous NOT to give paid maternity leave and preferably paternity leave as well.
Why should an employer, or the government, pay someone to have a baby?

To me, it makes absolutely no sense
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2008, 11:56 AM

2,265 posts, read 3,735,192 times
Quote:
Sounds wonderful.
I was kidding, vacation time is between the employer and employee.

Old 03-13-2008, 11:58 AM

3,728 posts, read 4,873,670 times
Quote:
What freedoms are people trying to take away? The freedom to not allow some workers vacations with pay? Please elaborate on what freedoms would be lost.

I think vacation time is normally 4 weeks plus, not 12, although 12 sounds nice to me - probably unrealistically long. . : )

I think it sounds ridiculous NOT to give paid maternity leave and preferably paternity leave as well.
Once again, do I have the right to get laid? How come paid vacation is a right, but not kinky sex with a really hot broad?

I would like to know your answer. Because I can't see how saying you have a right to paid vacation is any less frivolous than a right to attractive call girls.

Old 03-13-2008, 12:01 PM

21,026 posts, read 22,167,184 times
Well, if paid vacations aren't a right they should be because this country, now known as the United Corporations of America, is ruled by corporations.
If all the corporations decide paid vacations are a waste of time and eliminate them...where ya gonna , who ya gonna call ?.

Old 03-13-2008, 12:02 PM

3,488 posts, read 8,225,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
Why should an employer, or the government, pay someone to have a baby?

To me, it makes absolutely no sense

Because having kids is a fact of life for most people. It is a quality of life issue especially for the poor and middle classes to not be able to take sufficient time to be with their new baby for financial reasons.

I don't have kids so don't know how long paid maternity leave is in the UK. I'll have to check. The UK probably has shorter paid maternity leave than other first world countries.

It's important for families (including the husband) to be able to acclimate to a new baby without financial concern and hardship.

Old 03-13-2008, 12:04 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,284,003 times
Quote:
Because having kids is a fact of life for most people. It is a quality of life issue especially for the poor and middle classes to not be able to take sufficient time to be with their new baby for financial reasons.
As I have previously noted - I have no problem giving leave time. None whatsoever.

I do object to paying for someone to stay at home after a baby. Having a baby is not the employers responsibility or problem

Old 03-13-2008, 12:05 PM

5,979 posts, read 19,907,609 times
Quote:
It's important for families (including the husband) to be able to acclimate to a new baby without financial concern and hardship.
Yes. But it isn't a right.

Old 03-13-2008, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank_Carbonni View Post
Once again, do I have the right to get laid? How come paid vacation is a right, but not kinky sex with a really hot broad?

I would like to know your answer. Because I can't see how saying you have a right to paid vacation is any less frivolous than a right to attractive call girls.

If you can't see a difference between vacations and kinky sex then there's no point in me trying to convince you that there is one is there?

Old 03-13-2008, 12:07 PM

3,728 posts, read 4,873,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
Well, if paid vacations aren't a right they should be because this country, now known as the United Corporations of America, is ruled by corporations.
If all the corporations decide paid vacations are a waste of time and eliminate them...where ya gonna , who ya gonna call ?.
Do you have a point or just spout useless rhetoric? If so:

"The United States of American or should I say "Union of Soviet Americans" is going down the road of Communism. The way things are going, employers will have to pay for a 51 week long vacation for their employees to recover from their 15 hour work week. And the Democraps will support it too."

I have presented no facts, made no coherent argument, and entirely relied on rhetoric and histrionic bombast. However, I still win because I'm funnier.

Old 03-13-2008, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bibit612 View Post
Yes. But it isn't a right.

Why not? It is in most (if not all?) other first world countries. Why not here? Is 'the family' less important here?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies