Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2017, 10:10 AM

26,694 posts, read 14,569,031 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
Horsecrap!

https://freedomhouse.org/report/free...BoC97IQAvD_BwE

Overall score has been lower than a few other countries for decades.
What kind of BS is this? Canada? Canada has more freedom than US???

Canada doesn't even have freedom of speech!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2017, 10:12 AM

26,694 posts, read 14,569,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bond 007 View Post
I find it terribly ironic you brag about our freedom in #1, and yet in #3 you would restrict freedom. The identity politics and liberalism you dislike is part of that freedom.
Not when they (American liberals) advocate violence against others!

Old 08-03-2017, 10:15 AM

18,022 posts, read 27,468,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dog8food View Post
So because of my wife's and my work, we travel internationally quite extensively (with a child), staying in different countries for a minimum of 2 months at a time. And we also return. For example, we're currently on our 4th stay in Japan.

Most of the countries we've lived in are first-world, and considered to be in high socio-economic standing (Australia, Canada, China, Japan, New Zealand, U.K., etc). It's one thing to roam around free and easy for kicks and giggles, but as a family with responsibilities, we have found the US to be leaps and bounds more livable than any place we've lived.

You can't just point at one thing like "The food in France is fantastic," or "Japan is so safe." There are so many factors involved, and when taken together, we wouldn't dream of living anywhere else.

So when Trump mentions "Make America Great Again" I understand what he means (enforcing laws in the books, keeping Americans safe, etc) and there can be improvement, and I'm excited about it, but it doesn't take much to convince us that we already live in the greatest nation in history.
Great post.

Liberal, never-Trumpers are going to hate this thread though. I already know without even reading subsequent posts, due to their America-was-never-great-you-should-be-ashamed-of-yourselves Ideology.

I don't leave the U.S. Of A. if at all possible to avoid having to kiss the ground so much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantabridgienne View Post
LOL. Of course you don't. Great way to stay assured that it is the best country you've ever been to.
Thank you. I humbly agree it's the greatest because I live here, but I digress. I've had my share of trips to Canada, Central and South America, a few places in Europe, but that's about it.

I enjoyed being in Lyon France, Le Sauze and Le Super Sauze French Alps near Milan Italy for a four day ski trip, Switzerland, and Paris for a week.

Not much of an int'l traveler, but the rudeness of the French, and we're talking pre 911... 1998... was not appreciated at all.

How's the saying go?

I'd rather have a Nazi soldier in front of me than a Frenchman behind me.

Last edited by McGowdog; 08-03-2017 at 10:43 AM..

Old 08-03-2017, 10:15 AM

34,235 posts, read 18,584,601 times
America is exceptional, not because the people are better, but the founding principles are unique. We are a very different country for a reason, and people want to come here for opportunity, freedom, liberty, and equality.

Old 08-03-2017, 10:17 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,621,539 times
I've only lived in the US, so I don't know if this is true.

I've visited many other countries, but visiting isn't the same as living.

I'm guessing the US ranks fairly high.

Old 08-03-2017, 10:20 AM

7,235 posts, read 7,040,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McGowdog View Post
Great post.

Liberal, never-Trumpers are going to hate this thread though. I already know without even reading subsequent posts, due to their America-was-never-great-you-should-be-ashamed-of-yourselves Ideology.

I don't leave the U.S. Of A. if at all possible to avoid having to kiss the ground so much.

LOL. Of course you don't. Great way to stay assured that it is the best country you've ever been to.

Old 08-03-2017, 10:24 AM

7,473 posts, read 4,017,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AguaDulce View Post
This thread is neither political nor controversial.

It belongs in the travel section.

Its not controversial to say one country is a better place to live in than another??

Old 08-03-2017, 10:32 AM

17,155 posts, read 12,965,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McGowdog View Post
Great post.

How? As usual, OP doesn't cite specifics, he just says, "America is great and Trump is even better." I will agree with most everyone else that America is a great country in many ways. Is it the best? No. I have also lived overseas and I think Norway is better in many ways. I would move back, but there are several reasons I can't, at least not now. I am grateful for the gifts this country offers, but many other countries offer great things as well. If I moved to another country, I might choose Norway, Canada, Iceland, Italy, Malta, or Finland.

Old 08-03-2017, 10:34 AM

20,871 posts, read 9,541,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
Not when they (American liberals) advocate violence against others!
Well, considering that we have conservatives on this very forum advocating the gassing of the Middle East, not to mention that Trump supporters engaged in brazen racial attacks after the election, I hardly think liberals are the only ones advocating violence against others.

Old 08-03-2017, 10:37 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,621,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
How? As usual, OP doesn't cite specifics, he just says, "America is great and Trump is even better." I will agree with most everyone else that America is a great country in many ways. Is it the best? No. I have also lived overseas and I think Norway is better in many ways. I would move back, but there are several reasons I can't, at least not now. I am grateful for the gifts this country offers, but many other countries offer great things as well. If I moved to another country, I might choose Norway, Canada, Iceland, Italy, Malta, or Finland.
After a bit of research, it appears as though Norway's effective tax rate for a middleclass person is right around 40%.

That's a bit too high IMHO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies