Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2008, 04:53 PM

1,268 posts, read 1,135,419 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by drkman View Post
What is the social inequality that you are referring to? Is it because the generic term Black is used? You, by your own account, state that you are 100% Mexican. Most whites know if their heritage consists of Italian, Irish, Jewish, Russian etc. ancestry, so they and you can have groups and scholarships like (at my old job) The Emerald Society, that will help people of that ancestry. What do Black people have, at least the ones whose forefarthers are from this country? For these people the general term African -American or Black scholarships are used. There is no reason to use the term White Scholarships because normally you can apply for one that is specific to your ancestry.

You can get scholarships if you are Buddhist, Left Handed, Hindu etc. You can get one if you are Native American, Jewish, Japenese etc. Why are you not considering those to have some kind of social inequality?
It is not just scholarships, I believe I made that clear before.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2008, 08:53 PM

8,978 posts, read 16,558,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yayoi View Post
^^^^

I see what you're saying. I just personally think that we are all bigoted and/or racist to a certain degree so being called one or the other doesn't bother me as much as other people. Having prejudices is a part of human nature.
You're absolutely correct. That's the "human condition", and all we can do (as we TRY to do in this country) is "channel" it. Anyone who denies that race plays a part in how society 'runs' is just in denial.

That's ALSO why, though there are many (and increasing numbers of) Multi-racial societies, there are relatvely few..IF ANY...societies that are TRULY 'multicultural'. Cultures, by their very definition, promote "themselves" over "others". And a large collection of cultures, in one place, left to their own 'devices', would soon clash...possibly violently. There are only TWO ways to deal with this..
1) FORCE all these differing, clashing cultures to 'get along', by means of a draconian, all-intrusive government (as seems to be happening in Europe just now)..Nobody gets to say much, or do much, because it might make the OTHER GUY mad...
OR 2) Somehow get people to MINIMIZE their differences, and do their best to 'blend' into some semblance of a COMMON culture (the 'melting pot')..and to see ourselves as AMERICANS...period.

There really ISN'T a third option. The world is LITTERED with countries that destroyed themselves, over internal cultural stresses. Their "multicultural dream" was a failure.

The problem we're going to have to deal with is this...does our "race"..or our "color"...have to determine our 'culture' or behavior? I certainly HOPE not, but if so, we're doomed. Because that would mean a white, a black, a Hispanic, and an Asian couldn't EVER agree, because they had to "Act" white--or black--or Asian--etc.

Hopefully, in America, we'll continue to work for a multi-racial society within the "American" culture. We'll know in a few years whether it works---or not.

Old 04-05-2008, 11:32 PM

13,691 posts, read 18,454,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
You're absolutely correct. That's the "human condition", and all we can do (as we TRY to do in this country) is "channel" it. Anyone who denies that race plays a part in how society 'runs' is just in denial.

That's ALSO why, though there are many (and increasing numbers of) Multi-racial societies, there are relatvely few..IF ANY...societies that are TRULY 'multicultural'. Cultures, by their very definition, promote "themselves" over "others". And a large collection of cultures, in one place, left to their own 'devices', would soon clash...possibly violently. There are only TWO ways to deal with this..
1) FORCE all these differing, clashing cultures to 'get along', by means of a draconian, all-intrusive government (as seems to be happening in Europe just now)..Nobody gets to say much, or do much, because it might make the OTHER GUY mad...
OR 2) Somehow get people to MINIMIZE their differences, and do their best to 'blend' into some semblance of a COMMON culture (the 'melting pot')..and to see ourselves as AMERICANS...period.

There really ISN'T a third option. The world is LITTERED with countries that destroyed themselves, over internal cultural stresses. Their "multicultural dream" was a failure.

The problem we're going to have to deal with is this...does our "race"..or our "color"...have to determine our 'culture' or behavior? I certainly HOPE not, but if so, we're doomed. Because that would mean a white, a black, a Hispanic, and an Asian couldn't EVER agree, because they had to "Act" white--or black--or Asian--etc.

Hopefully, in America, we'll continue to work for a multi-racial society within the "American" culture. We'll know in a few years whether it works---or not.
I agree 100% look at Iraq with their Sunni and Shia (they are brothers under the skin) - skin color matters zero it's about culture. Race is not even a proper way to define humans because if you have a knowledge of genetics and anthropology you will know everyone on earth came out of Africa at some point during our ancestors journey to the present. Cultures separate more aggressively than the outmoded concept of race.

In Northern Ireland there were wars that have raged over religion .. people of the same "race" fighting over religion also comes to mind.

There are far more unifying qualities among us that we need to focus on instead of baiting each other and categorizing by group to separate we will never EVER solve anything or come together as one humanity from this.

Old 04-06-2008, 11:20 AM

8,978 posts, read 16,558,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post
I agree 100% look at Iraq with their Sunni and Shia (they are brothers under the skin) - skin color matters zero it's about culture. Race is not even a proper way to define humans because if you have a knowledge of genetics and anthropology you will know everyone on earth came out of Africa at some point during our ancestors journey to the present. Cultures separate more aggressively than the outmoded concept of race.

In Northern Ireland there were wars that have raged over religion .. people of the same "race" fighting over religion also comes to mind.

There are far more unifying qualities among us that we need to focus on instead of baiting each other and categorizing by group to separate we will never EVER solve anything or come together as one humanity from this.
Agreed. I've always been very 'leery' about the new 'exciting' concept of multiculturalism, (which is only a very few decades old). Of course, it's fun and exciting to indulge in new and different foods, music, or even traditions. But culture is WAY more than that. How do we feel about rape, 'honor killings', ethnic violence, sex with children, or religious intolerance? Sounds 'awful", I know...but ALL THESE THINGS, today, are parts of someone's culture, in some parts of the world. Just how "multi" are we ready to be?

"Races" can certainly, and often DO, 'get along' just fine....but "cultures"? Pretty poor record, there. Either one or the other is going to have to 'give in', or violence and bloodshed are almost inevitable. Better think long and hard about just which of the world's many 'practices' we want to adopt.

PS I can't help but notice the recent news about the "Polygamist (Mormon) cult" arrests in Texas. It's a DIRECT example of a 'cultural practice' that we (as Americans) have declared 'unacceptable' in our society. It matters not that it's 'OK' in other places...it's NOT OK here. And it has nothing to do with race or ethnicity...it's a 'cultural' matter.

Old 04-07-2008, 01:33 AM

89 posts, read 66,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
Agreed. I've always been very 'leery' about the new 'exciting' concept of multiculturalism, (which is only a very few decades old).
I find it interesting that it's only White, and formally White countries, 'embracing' (ie: being told/forced to accept) multi-culturalism.

It's often pushed by Jewish organizations such as the ADL and SLPC which vehemently reject such a policy in the apartheid state of Israel.

The hypocrisy is quite astounding. Multi-culturalism threats to turn the entire Western World into the Western-Third world if a policy shift does not occur.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies