Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-04-2017, 07:28 AM

6,542 posts, read 4,092,166 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
I read the article last night so perhaps I am forgetful but where did it say Harvard "changed the standards o higher education"?
In that they've openly said they're looking for a "diverse student body." Now, I have no problem with this, but Harvard is a competitive school so the first priority should be the most qualified (note; I'm very aware that they often choose legacy admission... I'm of the belief the Ivy League is not nearly as superior as many think). The concern with this probe, and it is still a probe and I will accept the results no matter what they are, is that they might turn down very qualified candidates in favor of candidates who fit the diversity standard.

No doubt, those candidates are surely qualified as well, but the concern is that some of them may be less qualified than those turned away, and if you worked hard to build up an impressive pre-college resume, it is unfair that someone who surely also worked hard but still did less it getting in becasue of their skin color.

And I'll state again, just to be 100% clear. This is a probe. I'm not claiming that there's 100% certainty that this happening. What I am saying is that people have had concern and suspicious about this exact thing for quite some time. People never took is seriously becasue it was always dismissed as 'racism.'

Old 08-04-2017, 07:32 AM
miu

17,766 posts, read 40,152,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shanv3 View Post
Probably by relatives of some disgruntled Asian-Americans who we have in the Work & Employment forum
Why the smiley emoticon? Why are you happy with their frustrations?

At my job, it's the few Asians and even fewer white males that have the best work ethic and job performance. Most of the blacks still have some chip on their shoulder thinking that "the MAN" still owes them because of slave history, if their ancestors weren't paid then they should be able to not work now and still get paid. And the Hispanics all cluster together and chat in Spanish and also do very little work. Luckily for them, our management team s*ck at managing us, so they get away with being such lousy employees. If I were an employer, I would never hire any of these losers.

Old 08-04-2017, 07:36 AM

15,064 posts, read 6,167,490 times
Quote:

Although thanks for this post because it angles at what I'm, partially, talking about.

People ASSUME that Asians work harder than any other ethnic group. They ASSUME that Asians are just born smarter. So when other minorities like blacks or Latinos start edging out Asians (and whites), all the sudden the Asians and whites cry discrimination.

Its BS.
Very true.

A number of Africans, especially Nigerians, surpass white and Asian students when it comes to grades/scores.

But yet, people will assume a guy like this got in because of affirmative action.

African-American Youth with 5.0 GPA, a 2100 SAT Score, a Nigerian Name, Many Ivy League School Scholarship Offers - The African Sun Times

Not to mention, what makes the complaining whites and Asians think that they write better essays or offer more in terms of extracurriculars and other experiences?

Old 08-04-2017, 07:37 AM

833 posts, read 520,185 times
Quote:
Oh this cracks me up. Royally cracks me up.

Now everyone is worried about discrimination when its the whites who are the minority. Another piece of evidence why *some* whites are so afraid of becoming the minority in this country. LOL This is RICH.
Your post makes no sense. Are you even remotely knowledgeable of the Civil Rights Act of 1964?

HINT: It doesn't allow discrimination against white people.

Old 08-04-2017, 07:39 AM

88,971 posts, read 44,780,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Race is a specifically protected class under the Federal Civil Rights Act.

LGBT Status, Income, "Experience," Extra-curricular activities participation... are not.

Therefore, my question about the very valid juxtaposition remains...

If race-based discrimination is OK at private universities, why isn't LGBT Status-based discrimination OK at privately-held businesses? Race is a Protected Class under the Federal CRA; LGBT Status is not.
Let's take this juxtaposition to its logical conclusion...

If private universities can pick and choose their admitted students based on their own racial preferences (race is a Federal CRA Protected Class) and other criteria, why can't privately owned businesses do the same?

Old 08-04-2017, 07:40 AM

15,355 posts, read 12,638,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post

At my job, it's the few Asians and even fewer white males that have the best work ethic and job performance. Most of the blacks still have some chip on their shoulder thinking that "the MAN" still owes them because of slave history, if their ancestors weren't paid then they should be able to not work now and still get paid. And the Hispanics all cluster together and chat in Spanish and also do very little work. Luckily for them, our management team s*ck at managing us, so they get away with being such lousy employees. If I were an employer, I would never hire any of these losers.
lmao.. yeah right.

Old 08-04-2017, 07:42 AM

21,461 posts, read 10,562,304 times
Quote:

That's not my experience with Hispanics. They have a good work ethic. The few black people I have worked with also have a good work ethic, but for some reason few apply in my line of work. They tend to go work for government agencies or schools. They also seem to have a very high rate of volunteerism, especially working with youth programs and mentoring programs.

Old 08-04-2017, 07:45 AM

15,064 posts, read 6,167,490 times
Quote:

How do you know that the "blacks" at your job have any slave history in the U.S. all? It appears that you live up north which makes this question all the more relevant.

How do you know for sure who is or isn't Hispanic?

Old 08-04-2017, 07:50 AM

25,840 posts, read 16,515,156 times
We are going to need a purge of liberals from leadership and academics if this country is to survive.

Yes, it's that important.

Old 08-04-2017, 07:51 AM

17,003 posts, read 12,583,387 times
Quote:

Although thanks for this post because it angles at what I'm, partially, talking about.

People ASSUME that Asians work harder than any other ethnic group. They ASSUME that Asians are just born smarter. So when other minorities like blacks or Latinos start edging out Asians (and whites), all the sudden the Asians and whites cry discrimination.

Its BS.
I call your BS and raise you BS.
Asian-Americans' Complaint Against Harvard Could Get Dept. of Justice Review - NBC News
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies