Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2017, 09:23 PM

2,333 posts, read 1,489,626 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
I work with politicians and the largest corporations to help strategize messaging, etc. We sometimes do testing of commercials before they're launched. I work with the creatives (the advertising agencies) all the time because we have to partner together to get our mutual client what they need.

I wasn't kidding with the dialogue I posted. Corporations want to be inclusive - they don't want any problems.
I do this for a large F50 company. Yes, you want to be inclusive (which makes sense that the demographics match the market) but it's not like anyone's saying "make the burglers white so you don't offend the minorities" or something. Maybe necessary for a political message but I have never come across that for consumer products.

Old 08-04-2017, 09:25 PM

4,750 posts, read 3,567,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tailsock View Post
Why are advertisers so deathly afraid of offending blacks and feminists? I don't understand it. I must have watched dozens of home security commercials and all of burglars are white. Oh, and if a white and black person are in a commercial and one of them picks the wrong product........guess who? Maybe these companies are terrified that Al Sharpton will be at their company headquarters with CNN and a bullhorn demanding reparations. Also Dads are always portrayed as buffoons being outsmarted by the kids and wife. Seems like white males are the chosen punching bag ....
I want to know why overweight people aren't used for candy and fast food commercials! I must have watched dozens of M&Ms and Burger King commercials where all of the consumers are fit and slim. Maybe these companies are terrified that Kate Moss will be at their company headquarters with CNN and a bullhorn demanding overweight people get off their televisions!

Old 08-04-2017, 09:27 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,615,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BicoastalAnn View Post
I do this for a large F50 company. Yes, you want to be inclusive (which makes sense that the demographics match the market) but it's not like anyone's saying "make the burglers white so you don't offend the minorities" or something. Maybe necessary for a political message but I have never come across that for consumer products.
No, they say it the way I phrased it in my other post. They'll say something like, 'Be careful how people are cast.' Everyone knows what that means.

And yes, it's for commercial products. Pols worry about the same thing, but have bigger fish to fry.

Old 08-04-2017, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TristramShandy View Post
I want to know why overweight people aren't used for candy and fast food commercials! I must have watched dozens of M&Ms and Burger King commercials where all of the consumers are fit and slim. Maybe these companies are terrified that Kate Moss will be at their company headquarters with CNN and a bullhorn demanding overweight people get off their televisions!
Because media is still focused on the "aspirational" aesthetic. Why don't you ever see someone REALLY sick in hospital commercials instead of happy, attractive person who just happens to be in a robe? Kind of drives me crazy but I guess I "get" it from a marketing perspective. When Dove did their campaign using average and heavier people they got a lot of flack for it.

Old 08-04-2017, 09:30 PM

Quote:
No, they say it the way I phrased it in my other post. They'll say something like, 'Be careful how people are cast.' Everyone knows what that means.

And yes, it's for commercial products. Pols worry about the same thing, but have bigger fish to fry.
OK, guess we've had different experiences because I have never come across that type of conversation. I would certainly ask WTF that's supposed to mean.

Old 08-04-2017, 09:33 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,615,406 times
Ann, one more thought on this. This seems to only take place with certain clients and their commercials. If an insurance company has someone dying and the family is worried about money, for example.

If you're talking about someone working at their IBM computer - there isn't as much room for error.

We do testing to see if people will accept celebrity X as a spokesperson, or if R & B artist _____ should include song A or song B on the c-d they're dropping in another few months.

People are testing for all kinds of things, and I don't want to leave the impression that everyone is wringing their hands over everything. They're not. But the creatives are cautious when casting a role some might take offense to.

Old 08-04-2017, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Ann, one more thought on this. This seems to only take place with certain clients and their commercials. If an insurance company has someone dying and the family is worried about money, for example.

If you're talking about someone working at their IBM computer - there isn't as much room for error.

We do testing to see if people will accept celebrity X as a spokesperson, or if R & B artist _____ should include song A or song B on the c-d they're dropping in another few months.

People are testing for all kinds of things, and I don't want to leave the impression that everyone is wringing their hands over everything. They're not. But the creatives are cautious when casting a role some might take offense to.
Yeah, I get you. For sure it depends on the industry, product, market, occasion, etc.

Old 08-04-2017, 09:38 PM

6,542 posts, read 4,095,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tailsock View Post
Why are advertisers so deathly afraid of offending blacks and feminists? I don't understand it. I must have watched dozens of home security commercials and all of burglars are white. Oh, and if a white and black person are in a commercial and one of them picks the wrong product........guess who? Maybe these companies are terrified that Al Sharpton will be at their company headquarters with CNN and a bullhorn demanding reparations. Also Dads are always portrayed as buffoons being outsmarted by the kids and wife. Seems like white males are the chosen punching bag ....
Because the job of a commercial is to sell a product and a generally good method of doing this is being completely inoffensive.

Old 08-04-2017, 09:44 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,621,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OnOurWayHome View Post
I remember people freaking out and boycotting General Mills when a commercial featured a family with a black dad, white mom, and adorable kid who poured Cheerios on her sleeping dad so he would stay healthy.
That was a cute commercial.

I also liked the one with the two gay dads and the Star Wars "I am your father" line. That was funny.

Old 08-04-2017, 10:02 PM

26,655 posts, read 28,691,193 times
I don't think the OP really wanted an answer. He is a white male who peobably feels threatened by women and blacks.

I prefer more confident less whiney men so...bye.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies