Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2017, 01:08 PM

16,717 posts, read 8,712,122 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
The bolded really isn't true. Walter Cronkite admitted that what got on the air is what he wanted on the air. Matthew Brady staged many of his photographs.

Benjamin Franklin didn't present both sides of the story.
We are all human beings with flaws, no question. However some are better than others, and put forth their best effort to keep their bias to a minimum.
An example of a modern day journalist who is out of the old school mode is Sharyl Attkisson who went after Republicans just as much as she attempted to go after Democrats. She found out however, that while her superiors loved and relished when she investigated (R's), it was not the case when she went after (D's) during the Obama years.

You might find her books on the subject interesting.

https://www.amazon.com/Stonewalled-O.../dp/B00HLIYWA8

In regard to the theme of this thread, here is another NRA commercial drawing criticism from the leftist media.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zvQ4TMzFsuU
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2017, 01:10 PM

79,908 posts, read 44,345,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
No one knew if Walter Cronkite was a democrat or republican. today we know what side everyone is on.
Which doesn't mean they didn't manipulate the news.

Old 08-05-2017, 01:10 PM

Here is another I just found and watched;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kSrM8kq12-g

I can only imagine liberals/leftists/progressives will find it disturbing.

`

Old 08-05-2017, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
Oh please. Nearly every day the New York Times and other liberal publications are calling conservatives white trash, redneck, and everything else under the sun. Now the NRA retaliates and it's some problem. Give me a friggin break.

I don't buy or subscribe to the NYTimes either. It's sad that the NRA has decided to drop to their level.

Old 08-05-2017, 01:15 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,595,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellise View Post
Threatening the New York Times. This is totally inappropriate. I don't know what they're trying to accomplish here. Selling fear in order to sell more guns, giving their members a new target for their wrath now that Obama's left office without taking their guns? The narrator's sneering, contemptuous demeanor is a nasty touch.

NRA spokesperson to New York Times: 'We're coming for you' | TheHill
Gun sales are down now that Obama is out of office.

The NRA needs to whip the base into a frenzy of gun buyin and they need a boogeyman to do it.

Sweet Jesus; these folks are so easy to manipulate.

Run out and buy some more gunz ya'll! The NYT is coming to getcha!

Old 08-05-2017, 01:17 PM

8,090 posts, read 6,989,456 times
LOL. It's literally a GUN association menacingly announcing "we're coming for you". How on earth is anyone arguing that it isn't a threat?

Not once did they mention their own avowed mission, protecting the second amendment rights.

Old 08-05-2017, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post
Here is another I just found and watched;

I can only imagine liberals/leftists/progressives will find it disturbing.
I only watched just over one minute of the video. I completely and fully support the 2nd, even beyond the courts. I believe the people have a right to own automatic weapons without road blocks put in place by the government.

That said, yes I have a problem with the video. The founders made sure to include the second so that the people could retaliate against an out of control government. We have a government (which includes the administrations going back many years) that is increasingly becoming authoritarian and out of control.

The founders supported violence to counter this. It's how we became a country. We did not become a country by asking "please". The video is arguing for a police state. Screw that.

Old 08-05-2017, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellise View Post
The hateful, sneering tone of the thing. The us vs. them message, coming from what many consider to be a respected organization. The "fake news" claim (love it or hate it, the NYT isn't fake news). The threat "We're Coming For You".

This may be empty rhetoric intended to sell guns. If so, they need to tone it down a bit. There are too many pissed off morons with guns out there, like ticking time bombs.
You mean like the Democratic activist who intentionally targeted Republicans at a baseball practice a few weeks back?

As to your view, I do not see it is hateful.
Maybe sneering tone might be a way of viewing it.

I suspect it is intentional to give the sense that people she represents are sick of the constant attacks on law abiding gun owners, yet these same critics approved of Obama turning loose a bunch of convicted drug dealers to sell their poison.
Worse, many of them were convicted of illegal gun possession, yet that didn't matter to the anti-gun hypocrites who remained silent.
Why didn't they at least object to what Obama did?

What is your opinion of these drug/gun felons being let out of prison by Obama?

Old 08-05-2017, 01:25 PM

30,419 posts, read 20,359,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakformonday View Post
Good god! Anger and violence is all they have left. Scary.
Anger and violence ...you;re talking about the Left, of course. They are the ones who have been promoting and carrying out violence against conservative Americans in this country.

No one on the right is promoting or actively committing violent acts.

But I love those who have the guts to speak "truth to power," like Dana Loesch:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aq7jnowk0kk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=piR2v8Xs9XA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Bzbkjkmwf8

Old 08-05-2017, 01:28 PM

30,419 posts, read 20,359,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
LOL. It's literally a GUN association menacingly announcing "we're coming for you". How on earth is anyone arguing that it isn't a threat?

Not once did they mention their own avowed mission, protecting the second amendment rights.
Only those who do not understand simple English would see this as a threat. Thanks for pointing out the deficiency in our educational system.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies