Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2017, 12:30 PM

30,419 posts, read 20,359,025 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellise View Post
Threatening the New York Times. This is totally inappropriate. I don't know what they're trying to accomplish here. Selling fear in order to sell more guns, giving their members a new target for their wrath now that Obama's left office without taking their guns? The narrator's sneering, contemptuous demeanor is a nasty touch.

NRA spokesperson to New York Times: 'We're coming for you' | TheHill
There was no threat to the New York Times for rational thinking people. It is quite clear what is intended. The New York Times claims to be honestly in pursuit of truth. Yet they are one of the biggest liars in "fake media."

Dana Loesch is spot on. I love her commentary. She doesn't mince words. She refuses to be "politically correct." She speaks the truth unapologetically. We need more of this.

The "resistance movement" uses a clenched fist for their logo. They promote violence, burning cars, smashing windows like the fascists they are. Dana Loesch says we will fight you with the "clenched fist of truth." I love it!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WgMRP4KOALw

Last edited by nononsenseguy; 08-05-2017 at 12:40 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2017, 12:34 PM

16,717 posts, read 8,712,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesychios View Post
Free press works that way. They report what they believe is of interest.

I would say Fox is a cancer, Breitbart is stage 4.

We both have to agree that a free press is vital to our republic. We can't be threatening to muzzle those elements we don't like. They must be free to be heard.
Generally I can agree with a few comments of yours. Obviously a free press as envisioned by our Founding Forefathers is vital to our republic.
That said, I suspect we might have different ideas as to what a free press means. Many would say outside of government control, which I would agree with.

However, (and I am assuming you are a liberal based on your anti-Fox & Breitbart comment), what would you say if the NYT and other major media outlets all were hardcore conservatives, and reported the news from that perspective.
Would you feel that accurate news was being reported by a free press?
I suspect you wouldn't, as you think and put into words that the few that lean right today are a cancer. So just imagine if most of the MSM was just as bad or even much worse than Fox.

Remember, just because the media is not controlled by the government does not mean it is free. Old school journalists/reporters were professional enough to try and report the news, without slanting it from their own ideological perspective. That allows the viewer/readers to get the unbiased facts, and make up their own minds.
Sadly, that is not common anymore, and when journalists who are suppose to be skeptical of government gave Obama & Co a pass for the last 8 years, Americans (even some on the left) felt they were no longer a neutral arbiter of factual reporting.

`

Old 08-05-2017, 12:40 PM

79,908 posts, read 44,345,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post
Generally I can agree with a few comments of yours. Obviously a free press as envisioned by our Founding Forefathers is vital to our republic.
That said, I suspect we might have different ideas as to what a free press means. Many would say outside of government control, which I would agree with.

However, (and I am assuming you are a liberal based on your anti-Fox & Breitbart comment), what would you say if the NYT and other major media outlets all were hardcore conservatives, and reported the news from that perspective.
Would you feel that accurate news was being reported by a free press?
I suspect you wouldn't, as you think and put into words that the few that lean right today are a cancer. So just imagine if most of the MSM was just as bad or even much worse than Fox.

Remember, just because the media is not controlled by the government does not mean it is free. Old school journalists/reporters were professional enough to try and report the news, without slanting it from their own ideological perspective. That allows the viewer/readers to get the unbiased facts, and make up their own minds.
Sadly, that is not common anymore, and when journalists who are suppose to be skeptical of government gave Obama & Co a pass for the last 8 years, Americans (even some on the left) felt they were no longer a neutral arbiter of factual reporting.
The bolded really isn't true. Walter Cronkite admitted that what got on the air is what he wanted on the air. Matthew Brady staged many of his photographs.

Benjamin Franklin didn't present both sides of the story.

Old 08-05-2017, 12:44 PM

30,419 posts, read 20,359,025 times
This is what truth is:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PP11BsdrvS8

Old 08-05-2017, 12:45 PM

9,437 posts, read 7,389,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMS02760 View Post
The NRA should more appropriately be labelled a terrorist organization these days. It has gone so far off the tracks from its original mission to promote marksmanship.
What a load of BS, you have no idea what you're talking about. Terrorist organization? How many people have NRA members killed vs BLM? How many riots have NRA members started, or the NRA pushed for vs BLM?

The Democratic Party should be labeled a terrorist organization before the NRA.

Old 08-05-2017, 12:51 PM

2,690 posts, read 4,228,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post
Ok, OP I have watched the video. I will post it below so people do not have to deal with all the popups and such in the link you provided;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AGa-GoILV9Y

`
I will be happy to give my view on it, but before that, what EXACTLY is inappropriate in your view?

`
The hateful, sneering tone of the thing. The us vs. them message, coming from what many consider to be a respected organization. The "fake news" claim (love it or hate it, the NYT isn't fake news). The threat "We're Coming For You".

This may be empty rhetoric intended to sell guns. If so, they need to tone it down a bit. There are too many pissed off morons with guns out there, like ticking time bombs.

Old 08-05-2017, 01:00 PM

68,354 posts, read 54,556,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
Good! The New York Times is a CANCER. They do nothing but lie to advance their far left, progressive agenda. They are the Pravda, and Tass of the Democrat Party.
There's a nice symmetry, Trump lies to advance himself and his minions are the Pravda and Tass of the Republican Party.

Old 08-05-2017, 01:02 PM

33,595 posts, read 18,233,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
The bolded really isn't true. Walter Cronkite admitted that what got on the air is what he wanted on the air. Matthew Brady staged many of his photographs.

Benjamin Franklin didn't present both sides of the story.
No one knew if Walter Cronkite was a democrat or republican. today we know what side everyone is on.

Old 08-05-2017, 01:03 PM

5,913 posts, read 3,196,583 times
Good god! Anger and violence is all they have left. Scary.

Old 08-05-2017, 01:04 PM

7,732 posts, read 12,653,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
They are giving up all pretense about being about anything other than politics. You can go back in my history and see where I have defended them but they are losing all support I ever had for them.

You do not get people on your side with name calling. They are obviously getting desperate for donations.
Oh please. Nearly every day the New York Times and other liberal publications are calling conservatives white trash, redneck, and everything else under the sun. Now the NRA retaliates and it's some problem. Give me a friggin break.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies