Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2017, 04:48 AM

9,229 posts, read 9,774,467 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
Not sure what you are looking for in this discussion, OP, but every country has different views and different laws. What we consider inappropriate or illegal doesn't mean s*** to other countries. Something that would be funny or benign here might get you locked up or killed somewhere else.

Not sure why you are taking other posters to task for their comments, this is just the way it is and those tourists crossed some line, just like Otto did. We might not understand it, but it is not our country to decide the appropriateness of their laws.For example, someone from another country might find our laws about urinating in public inappropriate. Maybe in their country they take a leak in their streets all the time.
We are not deciding anything. We talk about the issue, which is what the forum is about.
It's an obvious fact that the tourists broke the law so I consider it a waste of time to overstate it. I am more interested in people's options on the law per se.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2017, 04:50 AM

2,230 posts, read 1,722,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
Not sure what you are looking for in this discussion, OP, but every country has different views and different laws. What we consider inappropriate or illegal doesn't mean s*** to other countries. Something that would be funny or benign here might get you locked up or killed somewhere else.

Not sure why you are taking other posters to task for their comments, this is just the way it is and those tourists crossed some line, just like Otto did. We might not understand it, but it is not our country to decide the appropriateness of their laws.For example, someone from another country might find our laws about urinating in public inappropriate. Maybe in their country they take a leak in their streets all the time.
You are right. But I was naive enough to believe Germany should be part of the free world.

Next time I travel to a foreign country, I'll spend a whole week reviewing its laws before going.

Old 08-06-2017, 04:52 AM

10,009 posts, read 5,715,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post
In a western country, it is highly abnormal to outlaw a symbol or the use of any symbol in casual situations. So it deserves discussion.
Unfortunately it's NOT abnormal; the First Amendment is what's abnormal, even in western countries.

Old 08-06-2017, 04:56 AM

11,904 posts, read 5,603,097 times
Quote:
We are not deciding anything. We talk about the issue, which is what the forum is about.
It's an obvious fact that the tourists broke the law so I consider it a waste of time to overstate it. I am more interested in people's options on the law per se.
The law probably seems unusual to people who were raised in the US. To those from other countries, probably not so much. In any case, if the people of Germany thought it was a bad law, it would undoubtedly be changed. Unless someone proposes a similar law here, I'm not sure why our opinions are relevant.

Old 08-06-2017, 04:58 AM

9,229 posts, read 9,774,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish & Chips View Post
Only Germans have enough context and knowledge to determine whether a law is appropriate for their country.
North Koreans probably claim the same thing, and actually I agree with them to some extent. However, Germany is a western country so I would expect them to follow the guidelines of western Europe or North America. The US, for example, will never punish anyone for making a gesture in a casual, personal scenario.

Moreover, do you think the Chinese tourists did that to promote Nazi ideology or advocate xenophobia? Probably not. So if they have to outlaw the "Heil Hitler" solute, they should also consider what it refers to in the particular circumstance, not just a form.

Old 08-06-2017, 04:59 AM

27,277 posts, read 13,548,733 times
Quote:
Well, maybe they have bad taste. But making a pose to take photos can be illegal?

---------------------
German police have arrested two Chinese tourists for making illegal Hitler salutes in front of the Reichstag building that houses the German parliament.

Berlin police officers say they detained two men, aged 36 and 49, after they were seen striking the Nazi-era pose and photographing each other with their mobile phones.

They face charges for “using symbols of illegal organisations”, the police said in a statement, and were released after posting bail of €500 (£450) each.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...side-reichstag
It is illegal in Germany and Austria, the Nazi salute is also banned in Slovakia and the Czech Republic, whilst Switzerland and Sweden brand it a hate crime. I would however be careful of making such a salute in most countries as a lot of people find it offensive and I should imagne it would not go down well in Israel or Russia or many other such countries. Whilst it may also be branded a hate crime in other countries if it is used as a means to perpertrate racial or religious hatred.

In which countries is it illegal to perform the Nazi salute? | The Independent

Old 08-06-2017, 04:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bitey View Post
Unfortunately it's NOT unusual and the First Amendment is what's unusual, even in western countries.
I think the concept of western world is outdated now.

W Europe and Anglosphere have little in common.

Old 08-06-2017, 05:01 AM

34,259 posts, read 18,634,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catgirl64 View Post
The law probably seems unusual to people who were raised in the US. To those from other countries, probably not so much. In any case, if the people of Germany thought it was a bad law, it would undoubtedly be changed. Unless someone proposes a similar law here, I'm not sure why our opinions are relevant.
So people from other countries can't comment on our laws, or customs in the U.S.? I see a lot of bashing of our right to keep at bear arms here from foreigners. Should their comments not be allowed about our firearms? No, they should be welcome to comment, and voice their views as much as I am about their lack of free speech.

Loretta Lynch, and the Obama Dept. of Justice wanted to start arresting people for SPEECH against Muslims. Do you want that too? It seems Germany would be just fine with that.

Old 08-06-2017, 05:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catgirl64 View Post
The problem is,the people of Germany are not allowed to express what they really think.

Old 08-06-2017, 05:04 AM

11,904 posts, read 5,603,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodHombre View Post
You are right. But I was naive enough to believe Germany should be part of the free world.

Next time I travel to a foreign country, I'll spend a whole week reviewing its laws before going.
Free speech issues totally aside, it's a good idea, when traveling, to know the laws of your destination. Always has been.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies