Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2017, 07:27 PM

4,996 posts, read 2,445,058 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibginnie View Post
The Nation, right-wing? Hardly. You may want to use this link to check out the leanings of of publications. Or, you know, Google it.

Well, maybe right wing. The magazine did endorse Bernie.
Fair enough...they've got some credibility..and I'll be cleaning the egg off my face.

Not sure how much it matters..even if true though. The focus has moved so far past the hack.

The Right's tactic of trying to find enough mud to sling back at the Left is flawed. It's akin to fighting a house fire by lighting the neighbors house on fire.

Both still burn.

Thanks for the lesson.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2017, 07:29 PM

8,418 posts, read 7,417,538 times
Sorry, Coalman, I didn't see your post at first. But I seem to reacall that you actually manage some websites of your own and usually have good insight on internet technical matters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
You can use either, browser often use MB/s. If this was a pipe mbps can be considered the pressure and MB's the volume. In this case according to the article they know the amount of data and how long it took so it's simple matter of dividing the amount of data by the seconds to come up with MB/s.

Max speed does not equal what you will get even in an ideal situation such as you have adapters on two computers hooked directly to each other with an ethernet cable. If it's one large file it will fly , if it's a lot of smaller files speeds can be reduced considerably. At the end of the day your speed is going to be limited by whatever the weak link in the chain is. That starts at the medium the data is being read from to the data it's being written to, there is whole lot links in that chain in between.
Yes, I know that Max speeds in the IEEE standards are theoretic maximums, but I also know that practical speeds tend to be about half of the theoretical maximum speeds - unless the mechanical engineers in my office are clogging the data pipe with another one of their CAD file transfers again. Fortunately, I don't work in the same building with mech engineers anymore. Bottom line though, these CAD files are huge and need to be shared with outside clients on a regular basis, so it's definitely possible that enterprise level organizations have bandwidth that Peter Lawrence claims isn't available to anyone.

On top of that, we're all assuming that the hack had to be either via some Romanian server because the Russian troll Guccifer claims that's how he did it, or it had to be via a USB flash drive hooked directly into a workstation or server at the DNC headquarters. But this is forcing a false dilemma - some enterprising young hacker could have just as easily parked his car in front of the DNC headquarters, opened his laptop, logged into the WiFi (either through forced hacking or through phished credentials), and downloaded the information from the DNC servers. Wireless 802.11n can easily handle the transfer rates that Patrick Lawrence's anonymous sources claim were utilized.

Old 08-10-2017, 07:30 PM

12,022 posts, read 11,575,119 times
They're recycling the same VIPS report. There are some arguments in the report, such as the download speed, which are flawed.

Old 08-10-2017, 07:30 PM

32,816 posts, read 19,488,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliott_CA View Post
British intelligence in 2015 warned the US that the Russians has hacked the DNC server. The FBI confirmed that finding.

So now we're supposed to reject what the British and the FBI said based on some wacky theory about download speed.

This new report reeks of fake news.
no it doesn't reek of fake news, it just shows the INCOMPETENCE of the liberals and the DNC

so the brits warned the DNC in 2015, yet the supposed hack was in june of 2016

Old 08-10-2017, 07:38 PM

5,342 posts, read 4,430,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilEyeFleegle View Post
Fair enough...they've got some credibility..and I'll be cleaning the egg off my face.

Not sure how much it matters..even if true though. The focus has moved so far past the hack.

The Right's tactic of trying to find enough mud to sling back at the Left is flawed. It's akin to fighting a house fire by lighting the neighbors house on fire.

Both still burn.

Thanks for the lesson.
Thanks for that.

I read as much as I can from all sources and then independently make an informed opinion. I'm not sure we will ever know the complete truth about anything our government does or says.

It really does matter though. There are those that want the truth, no matter what it may be. Hopefully we will know the truth when it presents itself.
Frequently Asked Questions
Do NOT reply to moderator posts that are in RED.

Old 08-10-2017, 07:44 PM

37,949 posts, read 17,865,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliott_CA View Post
Misleading and false headline. This is NOT the work of "NSA Experts." The NSA did not produce this report and did not endorse it. These former government employees may have been paid by Trump supporters or are Trump supporters themselves. The credibility of this report is lacking.
Yes they are NSA experts. Because they no longer work for them means their credibility is gone?
What an absurd thought process.
May have been paid? You made that up because you have no proof. Just like the loony left made up the Russian hacking. No physical proof whatsoever but don't let that get in the way either. Any wonder why only 3 agencies FBI, CIA, and NSA signed off on the "hacking report"? Because there was no physical evidence.

Old 08-10-2017, 07:46 PM

37,949 posts, read 17,865,154 times
Quote:
Interesting..but I'll wait for a more reputable source..Right-wing sites have an ax to grind..and can no more be trusted to tell the truth than Trump.

I got to admit though..that the whole Russian thing has passed me by--so what if they did..and so what if they did not.

I appreciate the issue in that it was a wedge into Trump's possible financial corruption--and it cannot be denied..the Russians are in the picture. Just how it all fits..is why we have an investigator. After all, Ken Starr did not start out looking for sexual misconduct by Clinton, now did he?

No one forced Trump Jr. to meet with the Russian lawyer--he was looking for dirt. Not a crime..afaik--but indicative of the mindset of Trump's inner circle.

We shall see...gotta admit..it's entertaining as all get out.
Right wing site? hahahaha The nation leans hard left. How many things are you going to make up in your posts on this thread?

Old 08-10-2017, 07:49 PM

10,513 posts, read 5,167,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
Yes they are NSA experts. Because they no longer work for them means their credibility is gone?
What an absurd thought process.
May have been paid? You made that up because you have no proof. Just like the loony left made up the Russian hacking. No physical proof whatsoever but don't let that get in the way either. Any wonder why only 3 agencies FBI, CIA, and NSA signed off on the "hacking report"? Because there was no physical evidence.
British intelligence warned the US in 2015 that the Russians got into the DNC servers, long before this supposed "inside download job" happened.

And yes, the credibility of these ex-employees is questionable. Happens all the time where former employees become expert witnesses in lawsuits. What they say depends on who pays them.

Old 08-10-2017, 07:50 PM

6,354 posts, read 3,654,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by berdee View Post
BOMBSHELL: NSA Experts Say DNC

The data transfer rate from the alleged hack of the DNC server was 22.7 megabytes per second. No ISP has that kind of speed, the top speed is around 16 megabytes per second.
However, that speed can be achieved when using a thumb drive.
The CIA, the National Security Agency, the F.B.I. and the Office of the Director of National Intelligence all determined that Russia hacked the presidential election.
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/07/06/u...a-fbi-nsa.html

And even Donald Trump’s top intelligence officials accept the conclusion that Russia hacked the election.
Trump

And according to other sources your source is "neither conclusive proof nor strong evidence. It’s a extremely long-winded product of a crank."

Your source lists "an anonymous analyst calling himself “Forensicator,” on the “metadata” of “locked files” leaked by the hacker Guccifer 2.0.This should, already, set off alarm bells: An anonymous analyst is claiming to have analyzed the “metadata” of “locked files” that only this analyst had access to?"

"The crux of the whole thing — the opening argument — rests on the fact that, according to “metadata,” the data was transferred at about 22 megabytes per second... Most households don’t get internet speeds that high, but enterprise operations, like the DNC — or, uh, the FSB — would have access to a higher but certainly not unattainable speed like that. If that’s your strongest evidence, your argument is already in trouble."

The Nation Article About the DNC Hack Is Incoherent

Last edited by chad3; 08-10-2017 at 08:10 PM..

Old 08-10-2017, 07:50 PM

8,447 posts, read 4,752,145 times
Quote:

Both still burn.

Thanks for the lesson.
Before patting this guy on the back for his integrity let's keep in mind that he's admitting we're in blue dress territory at this point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies