Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2017, 04:56 PM

5,277 posts, read 2,801,922 times

Advertisements

For the first time a National Forest in the US has become the site of a wind turbine farm.

http://www.benningtonbanner.com/stor...ld-wind,516591

15 turbines will produce 30MW worth of electricity enough for 14,000 Vermont households.

Wind energy can be stored with reverse hyrdoelectric pumping plants that raise water with pumps up to reservoirs. When winds are low, the water flows back down with 96% recovery.

Fossil fuels cannot compete with free wind and economical storage.

Even in a National Forest I am fine with wind energy since I know it is helping to stop global warming and pollution.

What is America waiting for?

Get building!!!

More wind energy. More free energy.

More pumping plants. More efficient storage.

More electric homes. Fewer oil heated homes.

More electric cars and trucks. Less fossil fuels.

Also:

More sailboats fewer speedboats.

More bicycles fewer motorcycles.

More walking fewer taxi rides.

More high speed rail fewer planes.

Where is Trump's infrastructure investment?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2017, 05:01 PM

16,376 posts, read 22,494,081 times
Where?

Old 08-13-2017, 05:06 PM

Vermont

The US has millions and millions of acres of national forests that can be leased out to build wind farms.

It is interesting to note in article it took 10 years for approval process.

It would be nice if Trump could help cut that to 6 months and get America building again.

Old 08-13-2017, 05:10 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,854,052 times
wind farms in some locations make sense, since there is usually enough wind energy to keep them operating properly.

however wind turbines are ugly as heck, and in a national forest i dont want to see them.

have you ever been to a wind farm? i have, in california and texas both. one thing i noticed is that only about a 1/3 of the turbine were actually operating.

sorry but wind power is not a panacea of generating electricity.

there is an alternative that is equally efficient, and yet it does blend better into the terrain much better, and that is piezoelectric rods made from a variety of flexible materials, including carbon fiber, that can be painted up to look like tall grass.

Old 08-13-2017, 05:15 PM

16,376 posts, read 22,494,081 times
Is there a link that names the National Forest and explains more about the project?

Old 08-13-2017, 05:23 PM

1,243 posts, read 1,147,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
wind farms in some locations make sense, since there is usually enough wind energy to keep them operating properly.

however wind turbines are ugly as heck, and in a national forest i dont want to see them.

have you ever been to a wind farm? i have, in california and texas both. one thing i noticed is that only about a 1/3 of the turbine were actually operating.

there is an alternative that is equally efficient, and yet it does blend better into the terrain much better, and that is piezoelectric rods made from a variety of flexible materials, including carbon fiber, that can be painted up to look like tall grass.
I know it's a matter of taste, but not everyone thinks of them as ugly.

We visited Dublin and Edinburgh this summer, and while traveling through the countryside, we saw many of windmills. My 10 year old thought they were fascinating. My wife and I thought they looked nice. And if they can be economically efficient, then why not?

I'm not a tree hugger by any stretch of the imagination, but if it works, and can be easy on the eyes, then why not?

Old 08-13-2017, 05:36 PM

45,411 posts, read 60,608,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starman71 View Post
I know it's a matter of taste, but not everyone thinks of them as ugly........
What a lot of people don't seem to understand is that a National Forest is not a National Park.

National Forests were set up with the stated purpose of reserving lumber and minerals, including oil and gas, for the federal government to use or sell. Unfortunately many people don't understand that and wanted them preserved like we've done while mismanaging the natural processes in the Parks (Only You Can Prevent Forest Fires).

All that has done in many cases is let millions of board feet of timber fall down and rot while we import lumber from Canada.

Full disclosure: I absolutely despise the way those windmills look and how they crap up the mountainsides, not to mention their impact on fowl and the immense energy cost to manufacture and install them.

Old 08-13-2017, 06:25 PM

9,952 posts, read 6,679,067 times
Thank you for explaining this. I moved from Florida recently and most of the lumber there goes to make pulp for paper mills. There are places like Tallahassee that are smoky all the time from all the controlled burns they have to do.

Old 08-13-2017, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sware2cod View Post
Is there a link that names the National Forest and explains more about the project?
See link in first post.

Also see

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gree...ational_Forest

Green Mountain National Forest contains just under 400,000 acres and this wind farm will be on 80 Acres.

However, only a small portion of the 80 Acres is taken up by 15 towers and connecting roads.

Old 08-13-2017, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post

I have seen both windfarms and open pit strip mines and 1000 foot tall chimneys next to coal fired boiler plants.

I have also seen oil platforms in the sea.

I vote for windfarms every time.

Full disclosure: I own a sailboat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies