Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2008, 09:41 PM

2,684 posts, read 6,892,964 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetclimber View Post
All of us are wondering why you think it's ok for someone married or not to see a prostitute, most people find that reprehensible. You haven't come up with a sensible argument to defend that, and prostitution is there for a man who might be in a decent marriage to explore some fetish that is taboo and that his wife would not do. If prostitution was not available, the man would not find an easy outlet for his secret desires, so yes it is a cause. My best friend is a marriage counselor and he deals with this kind of cheating all the time. According to one of your earlier posts you said "a person should be able to do it if they want to", well 1) it is illegal and 2) if you are married it isn't ok. Try to make some sense with your arguments so you and your 2 devoid of morals friends can learn something.
The fact is prostitution hasn't gone anywhere by being illegal. People wants prostitutes, it is a waste of money to prosicute personal crimes. The problem should be dealt with by family and counciling, not the judicial system. Not with my tax dollars.

Old 03-13-2008, 09:58 PM

418 posts, read 565,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinFromBoise View Post
The fact is prostitution hasn't gone anywhere by being illegal. People wants prostitutes, it is a waste of money to prosicute personal crimes. The problem should be dealt with by family and counciling, not the judicial system. Not with my tax dollars.
I agree!

It costs a lot to enforce something that WILL not be respected anyway...
waste of money, IMO.

If you ban it, it will just become a black market, that's it.

Old 03-13-2008, 10:00 PM

1,240 posts, read 3,972,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
Yes, but aren't you bothered about the degrading quality of this profession?
It's degrading if you make it so. McDonald's food serving isn't exactly what mothers encourage their kids to be, either. Some men and women actually like the idea of sleeping with others for money.

Quote:
Having to 'pretend', with people you probably can't STAND, 'selling' yourself and your honor to those with the money, having to say things you don't mean, eventually not even being able to REMEMBER your former values?
You mean like most other jobs? You just described the way many people feel about their superiors at work. Selling the body's ability or brain capacity. Same thing if you hate your job.

Quote:
Lying about your feelings, smiling when you don't feel like it, having to continually.........
Try an acting class. They do all those things.

Old 03-13-2008, 10:02 PM

5,160 posts, read 9,179,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetclimber View Post
All of us are wondering why you think it's ok for someone married or not to see a prostitute, most people find that reprehensible. You haven't come up with a sensible argument to defend that, and prostitution is there for a man who might be in a decent marriage to explore some fetish that is taboo and that his wife would not do. If prostitution was not available, the man would not find an easy outlet for his secret desires, so yes it is a cause. My best friend is a marriage counselor and he deals with this kind of cheating all the time. According to one of your earlier posts you said "a person should be able to do it if they want to", well 1) it is illegal and 2) if you are married it isn't ok. Try to make some sense with your arguments so you and your 2 devoid of morals friends can learn something. P.S. you aren't going to win the argument, everyone but a few are laughing at you.
It's legal in Nevada for your information. And did you just say it's wrong because it's illegal? Yeah, well, a black person sitting on a bus and refusing to give up a seat to a caucasian used to be illegal too. What's your point? There are obvious things that are wrong and illegal, but to be honest, some laws are debatable.

I am done with this because it is clear that you aren't even using sensible arguments, but rather presenting incidents that happen these days even while it's illegal. You've proven nothing besides the fact that you'll ignore what's going on already and attirbute the problem with bad marriages to prostitution. Whether you want to admit it or not, it already happens a lot, regardless of whether it's with prostitutes or with another mate. You're like those people who say nuclear energy is wrong because of the explosion of the one in the Soviet Union, which was a one time thing, yet people die every day mining for coal and natural gas. You make yourself blind to the truth because it fits your argument. The truth is, cheating and adultery happens regardless of whether prostitution is legal or not. You're ignoring all that's going on now, and if it ever became legal, you'd act like prostitution just made all these adultery cases come out of nowhere. You're not presenting facts nor are you being sensible. You're saying what's convenient.

By the way, only you and someone else disagree with me. I am confident enough to say that more people reading this support my position than they do yours.

Old 03-13-2008, 10:10 PM

4,050 posts, read 6,146,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwiloMike View Post
You mean like most other jobs? You just described the way many people feel about their superiors at work. Selling the body's ability or brain capacity. Same thing if you hate your job.
I'm going to have to agree! While I've never worked as a prostitute, what he described sounds amazingly like at least one job I've had, if not all of them at one time or another.

Old 03-13-2008, 10:12 PM

1,240 posts, read 3,972,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuAnn245 View Post
it isnt my morals that make me hate this stuff as much as it is the self destructive lifestyle it promotes on most people that come in contact with it,
Consider how society marginalizes sex workers and you tell me if the problem is inherently with the profession or with how it's treated by our system. I've known sex workers in my day. I probable know a few even today without realizing it. The ones I've known were people just like you and me and the hardships they faced came from the moral police around them (not from their clients).

Quote:
a woman this ignorant makes false impressions on men that shes some kinda real smart gal, when in fact shes just a cheap two bit no different from a common street walker who had some bumpy rides in life she doesnt or wont fix for herself with an honest job...
What isn't honest about prostitution? What you see is what you get. How much more honest can it be?

Quote:
I gotta work just like her, pay social security, taxes, and healthcare premiums that are astronomical for me and my kids, does she do that outta her cut?...
Until we allow her to do that why would she?

Quote:
I DONT wanna be running in to HER in the clinics after shes infected my son or his friends with her fat wallet, tight clothes and flashy shoes either, heck, arent there enuff tramps running around like that for free anyway?
They would be the non-industrious ones.

Quote:
btw, Id say the men who support prostitution cant be too inclined to really understand the true meaning of the feminst movement, but then some men need both kinds of gals...
What, other than feminism-understanding, would you call men who support a woman's right to choose any profession she wants, even if it's unpopular with traditional moralists?

Old 03-13-2008, 10:29 PM

5,160 posts, read 9,179,926 times
Seems like the majority agree with me. It's stupid to waste our taxes on something that will not go away and is a personal issue. I'm signing off for tonight.

Old 03-13-2008, 10:33 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,295,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haaziq View Post
It's legal in Nevada for your information.
A minor .... "correction": Prostitution is not legal in all counties in Nevada. For instance, in Clark County, where the City of Las Vegas, and the Strip are, prostitution is not legal.

Only Counties with populations of 250,000 OR LESS, "May", repeat "May" allow legal Prostitution.

Old 03-13-2008, 10:42 PM

4,688 posts, read 10,120,590 times
I saw it put this way recently...

I have always found it very curious that one of the following, but not the other, is illegal:

(a) Two people have sex, one of them gets paid for it;

(b) Two (or more) people have sex, all of them get paid for it, and it is videotaped and sold to third parties as a commodity.

on edit: I messed up the link to the original article. It was meant to solely refer to this...

Glenn Greenwald - Salon.com

Old 03-14-2008, 02:30 AM

2,915 posts, read 3,522,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haaziq View Post
It's legal in Nevada for your information. And did you just say it's wrong because it's illegal? Yeah, well, a black person sitting on a bus and refusing to give up a seat to a caucasian used to be illegal too. What's your point? There are obvious things that are wrong and illegal, but to be honest, some laws are debatable.

I am done with this because it is clear that you aren't even using sensible arguments, but rather presenting incidents that happen these days even while it's illegal. You've proven nothing besides the fact that you'll ignore what's going on already and attirbute the problem with bad marriages to prostitution. Whether you want to admit it or not, it already happens a lot, regardless of whether it's with prostitutes or with another mate. You're like those people who say nuclear energy is wrong because of the explosion of the one in the Soviet Union, which was a one time thing, yet people die every day mining for coal and natural gas. You make yourself blind to the truth because it fits your argument. The truth is, cheating and adultery happens regardless of whether prostitution is legal or not. You're ignoring all that's going on now, and if it ever became legal, you'd act like prostitution just made all these adultery cases come out of nowhere. You're not presenting facts nor are you being sensible. You're saying what's convenient.

By the way, only you and someone else disagree with me. I am confident enough to say that more people reading this support my position than they do yours.
I never said that adultery doesn't happen, you seem to accept it like jsut turn your back to rather than be outraged by it. Why do people just turn their backs on things that if it happened to them they sure as heck WOULD care all of a sudden. If your husband or wife cheated on you with a prostitute I guarentee you would be pissed, but since it hasn't happened you just merrily go along saying things like "oh let people do what they want', pretty patheic if you ask me. You haven't "backed me into a corner" nor proved to me why it is ok to accept this behavior of married men WHICH IS THE PROBLEM I HAD WITH YOUS COMMENTS ALL ALONG. I wouldn't care who slept with a prostitute if they were not married. If you want to legalize it, then you have to make all these rules to go along with that that not all will follow, so you will not be any better off than you were before!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies