Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2008, 12:03 PM

3,728 posts, read 4,870,897 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by beanandpumpkin View Post
Why are people in general threatened by homeschooling? Why does it threaten you (general you, not anyone in particular) that I don't choose to send my children to school? The majority of people who have a problem with homeschooling readily admit that the public school system is mediocre at best... so what's the problem? Are you really afraid that my kids might learn Creationism over evolutional theory? How does that affect you in the least?

These are probably rhetorical questions...
The Creationism thing is more symbolic really. Because it runs contrary to everything about good science. Creationism has absolutely no scientific backing and someone teaching it as a science makes a mockery of science. It's like teaching alchemy instead of chemistry or the Illuminati founded the United States in 78 B.C.

But I suppose it is better that a kid learn Creationism in home school than to have idiots try to push it into public school. I would prefer that compromise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2008, 12:15 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,867,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
I can't practice dentistry or surgery out of my home if I'm not adequately trained, either.
I see no difference.

The mail reason people home school is for religious instruction.
How do kids compete in the world if they're not exposed to other ideas?

(I think there's another thread about this topic).
There is no law against pullig you own teeth or stitching yourself up. This is just a ploy to stop the exit of students from a failing system. But in the end it will not work.What children are exposed to is why home schooling has become so popualr with those that can not afford private.It is the main facotr in where people choose to buy a home also.

Old 03-14-2008, 12:34 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,495,743 times
Most people equate homeschooling with extreme right religion. I don't know why though.

Old 03-14-2008, 03:01 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,867,563 times
I don't think most people do because they see what is happening in our schools. In our schools they are learning that gangs and bullies rule.They wander if some nut is going to come in and shoot them. It is no longer a safe place for your kid;evidenced by the number of police working in schools.

Old 03-14-2008, 03:25 PM

20,341 posts, read 19,930,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Most people equate homeschooling with extreme right religion. I don't know why though.
Because even lefties have to have an easy to define boogey man. Human nature.

Old 03-14-2008, 03:30 PM

2,839 posts, read 9,984,553 times
I belong to two homeschooling groups: a Christian group and a secular group. Of course the Christian group is all Christians, who vary in their conservativeness. The secular group is mostly liberalish people, from a little conservative to VERY liberal. The umbrella school that we use is an unschooling group, and tends to be on the liberal side. In my experience, I'd say that homeschooling is 50% conservatives and 50% liberals. I imagine it started out as a movement mostly for religious conservatives and liberal hippies, but it's much more mainstream now.

Old 03-14-2008, 03:32 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,286,152 times
Quote:
Teachers are trained in classroom management. Parents don't need classroom management skills to teach their own children. Contrary to popular belief, you don't need to be an expert in anything to be a teacher, and being an expert in something does not qualify you to be a teacher.
As a course, they are treated in classroom management.
They are also trained in subject matter.
Are parents?

BTW, I have a degree in education.

I find it interesting that most of you who are promoting homeschooling by untrained professionals and want your “freedom” are the first in line to deny same-sex marriage rights and a woman’s right to choose. So I guess it’s only the "freedom" you want or condone in the long run.

Quote:
Why are people in general threatened by homeschooling? Why does it threaten you (general you, not anyone in particular) that I don't choose to send my children to school? The majority of people who have a problem with homeschooling readily admit that the public school system is mediocre at best... so what's the problem? Are you really afraid that my kids might learn Creationism over evolutional theory? How does that affect you in the least?

These are probably rhetorical questions...
Try inserting same-sex marriage or a woman’s right to choose into this statement for homeschooling.

Personally, I don’t care what you teach your kids on your time. But please don’t ask for one penny of taxpayer money for it.

If they can’t function in the real world, what will they resort to?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Yes, you do know why.
Because a lot of religious whackos say that they’re homeschooling for that reason. Pretty simple.

Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
I don't think most people do because they see what is happening in our schools. In our schools they are learning that gangs and bullies rule.They wander if some nut is going to come in and shoot them. It is no longer a safe place for your kid;evidenced by the number of police working in schools.
I honestly don’t believe, and please statistically prove me wrong, that bullies are the big problem that homeschool parents say. There were studies done showing the opposite.

Old 03-14-2008, 03:39 PM

2,839 posts, read 9,984,553 times
I don't personally care if homosexuals marry. I think it's very sad that women have abortions, but I don't think they should be illegal.

Most homeschoolers do not want any taxpayer money. That's not what this thread is about at all. *shrug*

Oh, and in case you didn't notice, homeschoolers ARE out in the real world. Every single day. The term "homeschool" is kind of a misnomer, because most homeschoolers don't stay home very much at all. Children in public school are in a room with 30 children born the same year as them, living in the same zipcode, with one teacher "in charge." THAT does not seem like anywhere I've ever been in the "real world." So the "how will these cloistered religious fanatic children ever survive in the real world?" question really has no basis on fact or reality at all.

Old 03-14-2008, 03:41 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,266,002 times
Quote:
Personally, I don’t care what you teach your kids on your time. But please don’t ask for one penny of taxpayer money for it.

If they can’t function in the real world, what will they resort to?
When I homeschooled my grandkids - there were no taxpayer dollars provided.

And, they function in the real world very well thank you

Old 03-14-2008, 03:43 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,266,002 times
Quote:
I honestly don’t believe, and please statistically prove me wrong, that bullies are the big problem that homeschool parents say. There were studies done showing the opposite.
You don't, and won't have kids

Don't worry about it
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies