Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-14-2017, 05:46 PM

19,966 posts, read 7,876,419 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyMac18 View Post
Do you define the Constitution as "propaganda"? This is a serious question.
Why do you take things out of context and come from way out of left field no pun intended?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2017, 05:47 PM

46,963 posts, read 25,998,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl1 View Post
I don't need to read propaganda. I lived American history and have relatives going back to the 1920s around as eye witnesses to history.
Thinking that your experiences and customs are eternal laws of nature is one definition of barbarian, as Shaw said.

Old 08-14-2017, 05:47 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,607,009 times
Quote:
You are creating extreme hypotheticals. I'm talking about viewpoints and embarrassing behavior or speech that was recognized as being personal and private life.
There were a lot of people in the '50s who lost their jobs for signing petitions, going to certain rallies, or being seen purchasing certain books, newspapers, and magazines. And some of those people were very prominent people.

I read about teens in the early '50s who played pranks on adults in their neighborhoods by leaving copies of The Daily Worker in their cars at night so they'd get in trouble at work.

Old 08-14-2017, 05:48 PM

10,920 posts, read 6,912,422 times
Quote:
Why do you take things out of context and come from way out of left field no pun intended?
I'm trying to understand your point. You were told to read some history - to which you replied you will not read "propaganda". I'm literally using your word here.

Old 08-14-2017, 05:51 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,368,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyMac18 View Post
I actually don't think you have to. I mentioned that before. Are you refusing service because he is white (can't do that)? Or because he's a POS WS (I think you can)?

See what Google and GoDaddy did to Daily Stormer: https://www.vox.com/policy-and-polit...stormer-domain
But why can't I discriminate based on race (which isn't even real...it's a statist social construct) but can discriminate based on him being pictured at a rally?

I don't understand the moral or logical consistency in approving of one but not the other.

Old 08-14-2017, 05:52 PM

16,603 posts, read 8,615,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
You don't have a right to a job, so its up to the employer.
While that is true, it is a dangerous precedent to set for being able to earn a living. Taken to it's logical conclusion employers could fire someone for attending a Democratic or Republican event just as easily.

Old 08-14-2017, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
Apart from the fact philosophies aren't equal - it's easier to share a planet with a Buddhist than with a Nazist, right?

You can reason a man out of a philosophy, but you can't reason him out of skin color or sexual orientation or lefthandedness.
Why aren't philosophies equal? WHO DECIDES?

Old 08-14-2017, 05:53 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,716,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post
While that is true, it is a dangerous precedent to set for being able to earn a living. Taken to it's logical conclusion employers could fire someone for attending a Democratic or Republican event just as easily.
Nazi flag symbolic of the extermination of the Jewish race

Political Party

One of these things is not like the other.

Old 08-14-2017, 05:54 PM

10,920 posts, read 6,912,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
But why can't I discriminate based on race (which isn't even real...it's a statist social construct) but can discriminate based on him being pictured at a rally?

I don't understand the moral or logical consistency in approving of one but not the other.
I mean...I see your point, and I do acknowledge there are some weaknesses in the argument.

But I think it's really about things you can "control" vs. "not control". You can't change certain things about yourself, so to discriminate based on that is wrong since it's not that person's fault that they are that way.

As for the "why" - well, it's what we decided for our society. Much of what makes a country is what society pushes for.

Old 08-14-2017, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post
Why can't an employer fire a man for attending an event of one of or both those entities?

The employer owes the employee a job if he can fire him for whatever reason he sees fit or for no reason at all.

Logically and morally there is no consistency being displayed here by the statists.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies