Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2017, 12:03 PM

5,110 posts, read 2,052,447 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonyafd View Post

Examples of right wing propaganda:
--- Vaccines cause autism
I can't believe then some Hollywood celebrities had fallen for that. Are they're right-wing now? Lol!
Hollywood's Biggest Anti-Vaccine Proponents | Hollywood Reporter
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2017, 12:56 PM

16,376 posts, read 22,490,585 times
The KKK wore sheets back in the old days so they could disguise themselves. They were business owners, police, attorneys and other well known people in the community. They didn't want people to recognize them back then because it could have impacted their career and their reputation. That's why they wore sheets over their head and over their bodies too. So they wouldn't be outed.

Old 08-15-2017, 01:18 PM

28,896 posts, read 30,274,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
How does refusing to give someone money take away their right to have a swastika tattooed on their neck?
it doesn't take away their right to have a swastika tattooed on their neck...I never said that....

Good Lord, the person who I was speaking to, about this said, if she went to a restaurant, and the man had a tattoo of a swastika on his neck, she would walk out....
I said she had every right to do so, and agree with her views on the issue, however, we have to be very very careful, when we talk about the rights of people.....

I was reminding her, and maybe I wasn't making myself clear.
Lots of things offend lots of people....and it reminded me of a conversation I had with my girlfriend over someone writing something awful....and I don't remember what the issue was, and I stated, "That should be against the law and banned!" Her reply to me was, we can't do that, b/c if we start banning things b/c we're offended or think it's wrong, where does it end? It doesn't. It's like opening a can of worms.

I agreed with the woman who said she'd walk out, and of course, as my mind always does, it went somewhere else and I wrote about it, warning, that of course we're offended and angry, and it's ok to feel that way....but, in the same we have to be very careful.

I should actually keep my mouth shut, and applogize, that's unfortunately how my mind works.

Old 08-15-2017, 01:23 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,607,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sware2cod View Post
The KKK wore sheets back in the old days so they could disguise themselves. They were business owners, police, attorneys and other well known people in the community. They didn't want people to recognize them back then because it could have impacted their career and their reputation. That's why they wore sheets over their head and over their bodies too. So they wouldn't be outed.
The KKK was for the rabble, the great unwashed. The Citizens Councils were for the respectable people in the community who had the same horrendous beliefs as the Klan but didn't want to associate with the proles.

Old 08-15-2017, 01:46 PM

23,978 posts, read 15,086,618 times
Like creme said

Be careful what you wish for.

The DOJ is after the names, addresses and ip addresses of over a million people who went to a website regarding the anti Trump rally at the inauguration

Old 08-15-2017, 02:14 PM

23,306 posts, read 18,852,325 times
[quote=HockeyMac18;49188391]Sure they have the right to gather and to their speech. But unless the employer is the government, they don't have to keep you as an employee if it violates their code of conduct, reflects poorly on their business, or affects their ability to do business.

A government employee can attend a politically-driven event as long as they are on their own time and are participating as a private citizen....not portraying themselves as a representative of their agency. An agency may not like seeing one of their employee's portraits end up on social media as a member of a ummmm... shall we say more radical group, but as long as they were not doing something illegal they can't fire them for it. In that sense a government employee has better protection than an employee of a private company. Firing them has to be justified due to on the job performance/conduct.

How I wish this extended to elected officials.

Old 08-15-2017, 02:15 PM

4,019 posts, read 3,953,588 times
What if they guy decided to get the words "white power" tattooed on his neck over the weekend and come back to work with it on Monday? Does he think his employer doesn't have the right to fire him on the spot? Perhaps Cole White should try suing the hot dog stand for "wrongful termination?" LOL good luck with that. Good luck on ever getting any kind of job again after attracting so much negative publicity and being outed as a white nationalist.

The new generation of white supremacists aren't very bright are they? At least in the old days the KKK had the sense to cover their faces.

Old 08-15-2017, 02:24 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,678,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonF View Post
Exactly.

Imagine if Top Dog had kept that racist POS on the payroll after learning about what he was involved in. That would've damaged their business. Instead, they acted to preserve their reputation and the place was busy as usual (maybe busier) yesterday.

Companies fire employees all the time for stuff they do outside of work, political or otherwise.
The Koran Burning Preacher was last seen at a little mall stand in Brandenton, FL - making french fries. But that failed so he tried to open a french fry stand elsewhere....and he claimed all the people he tried to rent from said "you're that guy, right?" and would not rent to him.

So I think he is driving for Uber at last notice. Opps - he was dismissed from there
Anderson: Koran-burning pastor dismissed from Uber after complaint - News - Sarasota Herald-Tribune - Sarasota, FL

Old 08-15-2017, 02:25 PM

7,520 posts, read 2,810,168 times
[quote=AllisonHB;49200546]How I wish this extended to elected officials.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyMac18 View Post
Sure they have the right to gather and to their speech. But unless the employer is the government, they don't have to keep you as an employee if it violates their code of conduct, reflects poorly on their business, or affects their ability to do business.

A government employee can attend a politically-driven event as long as they are on their own time and are participating as a private citizen....not portraying themselves as a representative of their agency. An agency may not like seeing one of their employee's portraits end up on social media as a member of a ummmm... shall we say more radical group, but as long as they were not doing something illegal they can't fire them for it. In that sense a government employee has better protection than an employee of a private company. Firing them has to be justified due to on the job performance/conduct.
This is absolutely not the case for all government employees. Law enforcement in particular cannot and should not take part in anything outside of work (legal or not) that would be a stain on their department. They can and have been fired for such.

Old 08-15-2017, 02:30 PM
NCN

21,663 posts, read 25,634,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
You don't have a right to a job, so its up to the employer.
Can you recite the equal employment pledge? Doesn't it say something about race, religion or political affiliation?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies