Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should we remove all tributes to these two slave owners?
Yes 19 12.93%
No 128 87.07%
Voters: 147. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2017, 01:38 PM

3,840 posts, read 3,069,715 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TristramShandy View Post
Did Breitbart or Fox say that this should be today's conservative talking point? How many threads can we have covering the same tired non-topic?

How many programming hours from the leftist media can we have bashing Trump?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2017, 01:41 PM

3,811 posts, read 4,696,027 times
No, unless they broke a law? Last time I checked it was legal. Morally wrong sure but legal at the time.

Old 08-21-2017, 05:05 PM

37,949 posts, read 17,878,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Statz2k10 View Post
No, unless they broke a law? Last time I checked it was legal. Morally wrong sure but legal at the time.
Kidnapping was legal?

Old 08-21-2017, 05:07 PM

21,151 posts, read 19,736,448 times
The whole country should be given back to the Native Americans.

Old 08-21-2017, 05:07 PM

52,431 posts, read 26,648,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
Should we remove Thomas Jefferson and George Washington memorials, tributes and statues, including their images on Mount Rushmore, since each owned more than 300 slaves?
Will be interesting when they get around to promoting this, and begin tearing down monuments to both.

At that moment I truly think the majority will have had enough.

Interesting indeed.

Old 08-21-2017, 05:47 PM

4,800 posts, read 2,804,486 times
Default The devil's in the details

Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez
Should we remove Thomas Jefferson and George Washington memorials, tributes and statues, including their images on Mount Rushmore, since each owned more than 300 slaves?

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
Will be interesting when they get around to promoting this, and begin tearing down monuments to both.

At that moment I truly think the majority will have had enough.

Interesting indeed.
Nah, Washington owned 123 slaves, I think the number was (see earlier in this thread). His wife had the use of another set (from her first marriage, she was widowed), & they leased another 30 or 40. & Washington left provisions in his will to manumit his slaves - which his widow did a year after his death.

Jefferson's slave numbers were up & down, his finances were a mess. That's why he said he never manumitted more than a handful of slaves - he was usually just breaking even, & couldn't afford to lose all those assets @ once.

& no one is seriously talking about changing Mt. Rushmore nor any other monuments & etc. - that seems to me to just be alcohol or some other recreational drug of choice talking. The only monuments being talked about are those to Confederate leadership, which mostly went up immediately following Reconstruction, as the Jim Crow laws took hold throughout the South.

Old 08-21-2017, 08:54 PM

11,046 posts, read 5,275,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
The whole country should be given back to the Native Americans.

for what? when they had it they were fighting, killing, stealing, conquering and practicing slavery against the other 1,000 Native tribes......is not like they were running this land with the highest morality and ethics.

and I'm not impressed how they have managed their reservation lands either and you want to give the whole Nation to them? LOL

Old 08-21-2017, 09:05 PM

11,046 posts, read 5,275,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southwest88 View Post
The only monuments being talked about are those to Confederate leadership, which mostly went up immediately following Reconstruction, as the Jim Crow laws took hold throughout the South.

under reconstruction it wasn't allowed to openly talk about the Confederate and the people of the South who died in the Civil War in the open ...it had nothing to do about Jim Crow.

it just after the civil war the feds had the rope tight in the South and censorship was applied. I guess the North was afraid that the South would rebel again.....so the first thing you do is destroy their economy so they would be dependent on the Federal government and then during reconstruction (some call it re-education like Vietnam did after 1975) you place prohibition in the South on free speech and dissent.

Once the Feds loosen the tightrope after reconstruction, the locals in the South could display and freely speak about the Confederacy and honor the brave soldiers that gave the ultimate sacrifice.

Old 06-21-2020, 04:30 PM

23,861 posts, read 24,122,798 times
Thought this thread deserved a bump, considering the current climate.

I recommend having a read through the old comments, for a glimpse into the past and the predictions which were made at the time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies