Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-25-2017, 12:03 PM

9,617 posts, read 6,065,647 times

Advertisements

Easy. There will develop communities of former refugees/immigrants who are either in Canada on extended visas and or have attained citizenship, into which those who cannot qualify for either will be folded into. Some may be family, some may be 'just like us', but it will happen without thorough assimilation. Employers will find ways to pay those who disappear off the books. Canadians somehow think all of their geese are swans. They are not. Canada faces the same daunting challenges all other countries face in these, the days of global refugee crises and illegal immigration.

Best wishes to Canada for dealing successfully with the problem. Odds are against her.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2017, 01:50 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,315,210 times
Difference is the people of Canada dont obsess about their illegal immigrant population,its accepted that most countries will have a 2% illegal immigrant demographic,we arent into building walls or looking at every visible minority as if they were illegal immigrants or blaming the nations shortcomings on those illegal immigrants.

Old 08-25-2017, 02:02 PM

16,569 posts, read 15,278,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevySpoons View Post
if a Somali is accepted as a refugee in the US, he cannot go to Canada and claim refugee status again. In other words, the US is stuck with him.
If they were legal refugees here, why would they go to Canada? Try again.

Old 08-25-2017, 02:15 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,493,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by earthlyfather View Post
Do you have any idea how many millions of illegal immigrants the U.S. has? This is not temporary if the illegals are fleeing north due to Trump's saber rattling and stricter enforcement regime, then Canada will have to be much better to 'have this'. You are still not accepting that Canada may have a burgeoning problem. Don't be so smug. It is the first step to a bad surprise.
And I suppose one should just ignore the FACT the U.S. for more than five decades has encouraged that situation?

Cripes, man you're talking like you're a victim when I've witnessed the scene unfolding for decades of southern wintering in your country. You can't see any work being done down there without Mexicans being on the crews. You can't walk out of a southern Home Depot without seeing Americans picking and choosing from a bunch of them hanging around to do a day's work for them.

You make this sound like you've been the unwilling recipient of someone' else's problem akin to Canada's dealing with U.S.'s stupidity now. What a load of codswallop while having the nerve to suggest objecting to your gleeful gloating over it is "smug Canadians having our nickers in a bunch".

You need to remember some things. The U.S. encouraged illegal Mexicans to enter. FACT! Americans employ them and have provided more than one amnesty to forgive them. Americans have no idea how many illegals they have in their country.

Canada is detaining every single one of those who enter illegally and will decide appropriately for Canada what to do with them.

The very last person on the planet to give advice or provide scorn over how other countries deal with illegals is an AMERICAN. FACT!

Last edited by BruSan; 08-25-2017 at 02:23 PM..

Old 08-25-2017, 02:18 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,493,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
If they were legal refugees here, why would they go to Canada? Try again.
They were granted temporary LEGAL entry as refugees to the U.S. for a period specified at the time but later extended not once, but TWICE!

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/05/20/u...s.html?mcubz=0

Try again.

Old 08-25-2017, 02:29 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,560,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by earthlyfather View Post
Like I said picky, picky, picky. So, you got your gratuitous jab in. The mistakenly first name is nothing more than a better known, more famous father creating a shadow for son. The subject is Canada and the changing landscape for her immigration stance and policies.

Not getting the PM's name right, is huge when discussing policies and politics. I would get laughed off the board if I even suggested your current president was Reagan.

That is how ignorant it sounded.

Old 08-25-2017, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
You guys absolutely love the US politicians who created this problem and hate the only one saying he will enforce our laws. Just look at Trudeau's tweet. He was trying to be snarky about Trump, and look where that got him. I think it's hilarious. Wait until everyone starts calling you racist for wanting your laws enforced.
Our laws ARE being enforced, always have been. Again, we are the ones who are consistent. No one is calling anyone racist here for them.

You are applying American attitudes, American politics to Canada. It doesn't work that way.

Old 08-25-2017, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
And I suppose one should just ignore the FACT the U.S. for more than five decades has encouraged that situation?

Cripes, man you're talking like you're a victim when I've witnessed the scene unfolding for decades of southern wintering in your country. You can't see any work being done down there without Mexicans being on the crews. You can't walk out of a southern Home Depot without seeing Americans picking and choosing from a bunch of them hanging around to do a day's work for them.

You make this sound like you've been the unwilling recipient of someone' else's problem akin to Canada's dealing with U.S.'s stupidity now. What a load of codswallop while having the nerve to suggest objecting to your gleeful gloating over it is "smug Canadians having our nickers in a bunch".

You need to remember some things. The U.S. encouraged illegal Mexicans to enter. FACT! Americans employ them and have provided more than one amnesty to forgive them. Americans have no idea how many illegals they have in their country.

Canada is detaining every single one of those who enter illegally and will decide appropriately for Canada what to do with them.

The very last person on the planet to give advice or provide scorn over how other countries deal with illegals is an AMERICAN. FACT!
Exactly. The arrogance of it all.

It's astonishing really. We in Canada have what most think is a sane, fair and intelligent approach to refugees, and immigration.

Instead, some in this tread who live in the US seem upset by this. They are gloating because we are now dealing with some of their mess.

We can't win. They used to chant that Canada had open and loose borders....you know the lies about the 9/11 terrorists. When they find out that we don't have open and loose borders, they chant we deserve to get millions of illegals. Why?

I think I know.

This really hasn't anything to do with immigration or refugees, but the old tired American right/left politics. They hate Canada because they perceive us as " lefties " and so, we deserve terrible things.

They are gloating as if this is a failure of left wing politics. Obama/Trudeau. When in fact, as you have pointed out, illegal immigration and the lack of enforcement in the US goes back over many presidents of both parties, Canada's immigration system has worked well for Canada, so much so that Australia copied the point system, and now a friend visiting form the UK says it's being talked about there as well.

Old 08-25-2017, 02:45 PM

Got 'em in a bunch, huh? ALL CAPs generally means out of control emotion, not reasoned discussion, as does accusations. Both pretty well sum up your response, disappointingly.

It does not appear you really read much of the thread. Or, you would have seen myself and others, accepting we have a mess, blaming our leaders for allowing the situation to develop to the stage it has. Pointing out the change in government leadership as a result. Will it change things? Maybe, maybe not. Acting like a victim? Pfft.

'The U.S.' stupidity now.' I don't know if it has been stupidity for the many years. But, shutting the door now and 'encouraging' the illegals to move on now is hardly stupid. Admittedly, the shutting of the door and the encouragement are mainly through President Trump's tweets and a few initial enforcement efforts. There is a marked downturn in illegal crossings into the U.S., but also voluntary 'deportations'.

There is something call illusory superiority and you have engaged in it to the nth. Kind of smug, don't you think? This attitude by our northern cousins is interesting though. Best of luck in dealing with the unregulated flow across a very long border.

But, then maybe we should be looking North and not South to our source of illegals.

Quote:
DHS now estimates 93,000 Canadian overstays, more than double the amount of Mexican overstays (42,000) and about the same as the combined total of South America America. Canada has a smaller population that Mexico and Latin America, so its citizens also have a higher rate of overstays in addition to just raw figures.

Those numbers irritated some, who reacted to the figures by suggesting an ethnic or nation-based hypocrisy in immigration enforcement. Canadians and Europeans make up only a fraction of the estimated 10.9 million immigrants in the U.S. illegally.
Canadian Immigrants Lead World In Illegal U.S. Visa Overstays, According To First-Ever DHS Estimates

Now that Canada is no longer buffered by U.S. inaction though, you have a problem whether you recognize or accept it. Will your government deal with it?

Quote:
The Canadian Government is under political pressure to address bogus immigration practitioners who prey on those desperate to work or live in Canada. As such, a committee on immigration has concluded hearing regarding unauthorised/unregistered/unregulated immigration consultants, known as “ghost consultants”.
'Ghost' immigration consultants on Canadian Govt's radar

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post

You make this sound like you've been the unwilling recipient of someone' else's problem akin to Canada's dealing with U.S.'s stupidity now. What a load of codswallop while having the nerve to suggest your gleeful gloating over it is "smug Canadians having our nickers in a bunch".

Old 08-25-2017, 02:53 PM

If it makes you feel better about your point, be my guest. Except Saint Ronnie and Mr Trump are not related. You are not a regular Canadian poster on things U.S.; politics, social issues and such, so we can forgive you because you haven't spent years condemning, commentating on and in general being boorish as to our internal issues.

I found it fascinating that Canada's leader would jab at Mr Trump and then seemingly backtrack 7 or 8 months later. As I read more articles about the various immigration issues Canada is dealing with, I thought, Those folks are having to deal with, in a nascent form, the same issues we have not dealt with.

Canada is not sacrosanct, nor isolated and insulated from the problems of the world. It remains to be seen how she will handle it
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
Not getting the PM's name right, is huge when discussing policies and politics. I would get laughed off the board if I even suggested your current president was Reagan.

That is how ignorant it sounded.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies