Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-21-2017, 08:20 PM

40,952 posts, read 49,213,992 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainrose View Post
THIS ^^^
If you Dems are serious about reform -- take this post seriously!
Reform can't happen until you chop off the head of the snake. It'll take a complete turnover in leadership.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2017, 08:20 PM

34,066 posts, read 17,096,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahzzie View Post
Democrats need to give up the identity politics. I'm probably one of the most avid anti-Trumpists on this board and even I think tearing down statues is nothing short of stupid and ignorant. I hate Nazis just like the next guy but all of this is just getting out of hand. It's tearing the nation apart. At this point, both sides ARE to blame. The right wing for being Nazis and the left wing for being race baiters.

I think if everybody would just calm the f*** down and have a dialogue, we'd find that a majority of people are against the true White Nationalist (Nazi) agenda. Those guys are truly scary and a threat to this nation. Responding with violence gives them exactly what they're looking for and what they want.

I think antifa started out with good intentions but they have devolved into something that is truly frightening and anti-American. The Nazis never had good intentions so you can't really make that claim for them.
Great post, other than I think antifa started out with evil intentions, and Charlottesville simply exposed their true leanings.

Ha they come without any weapons and unwilling to fight, I would have been impressed.

Old 08-21-2017, 08:28 PM

23,795 posts, read 13,271,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catgirl64 View Post
One of the reasons Trump won the election is because he was able to so completely dominate the national conversation. I wonder sometimes if we (myself included) are letting the same thing happen again.

I'm not saying he shouldn't be criticized. He deserves it, richly. But we have to have something more to offer than simply being anti-Trump. If we don't start talking more about the things we want to accomplish, like better health care and decent wages, we are going to be just as screwed in 2020 as we were in 2016.

I am interested in hearing people's ideas about how to address this, and particularly interested in hearing from Democrats who jumped ship to support Trump, and what prompted that decision. I don't mean "Reagan Democrats" who have been voting Republican for decades, I mean the recently departed.

I honestly believe that we have a better agenda, or I wouldn't be a Dem. How can we get our message out there more effectively?
From these answers, your 'fellow Dems' appear to include a number of alt-right Trump fans. It would be great if they just went back to their liberal-bashing threads.

Anyhoo, Trump is a con artist salesman huckster. That's who he is and who he has always been. He talked a lot of suckers into believing he is someone he is not in order to get their vote. He's a phony through and through.

Hillary would have been a much better president than Trump. She's much much more intelligent, more experienced, respected around the world, and knows foreign and domestic policy and the law like the back of her hand. She is not a good politician. I am sick of listening to those that hate her and a bunch of misogynists spinning a hateful mythology that is total BS.

And, by the way, she received 3 million more votes than the current bozo in the oval office. It's time to get rid of gerrymandering and the electoral college and stop letting a a minority of the country tell the majority of the country what to do. It's a bully system befitting our bully president. That is where all the anger from the far left is coming from.

Let's see if the GOP can win fairly--no fixed districts. No giving rural areas more weight than they deserve. We are no longer an agrarian society, who recently freed a slave population, and we have now given the vote to everyone. The electoral college has got to go. The GOP has lost the popular vote in 6 out of the last 7 elections. There is something rotten in the US.

As for the future, the Dems have plenty of good candidates who we have not even heard from yet.The names tossed around the forum are not the candidates who will be running, just the ones the conservatives want to be the Dem candidates, as they probably cannot win. It will not be Liz Warren, Keith Ellison, Hillary Clinton, Bernie Sanders. I think people will be very surprised at who will emerge as leaders and candidates. And after a couple of years of the current joker, people will be very receptive to smart sane people with real ideas and policies.

I do think Pelosi and Schumer need to step aside and let some of the younger and fresher candidates lead the party. But I believe all this hand wringing over the future of the Dems is not what will come to pass. The election was less than one year ago. It's way too early to predict anything, and with the downhill slide Trump is on, I am not worried at all. The electorate is becoming more diverse every year. They are not going to be into old white men pushing their return-to-the-50s fairy tale in the next election.

We have real problems that need real answers--not tweets from an ignorant self-important, inexperienced and immature child who does not want the job, or his inexperienced unqualified daughter and son-in-law. This is becoming more apparent with every domestic crisis we encounter. Nor do we really a need a bunch of generals and Wall Street vets running the country, which is what we have. We've been that route already, it failed, and it is the country that got screwed.

Old 08-21-2017, 08:33 PM

12,638 posts, read 8,959,399 times
Not only have Democrats lost focus, they've lost their minds. Insanity prevails on the left. They are truly unhinged right now.

Old 08-21-2017, 08:34 PM

34,066 posts, read 17,096,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma777 View Post
From these answers, your 'fellow Dems' appear to include a number of alt-right Trump fans.
who were impressed at a logical thread from someone who is liberal.

It is an anomaly, but I sincerely congratulate the OP's honest self-reflection on the Democratic parties shortcomings.

Old 08-21-2017, 08:58 PM

30,178 posts, read 11,815,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
The difference between us and GOP people is that we will admit that we have failings.
What are failing of the democrats according to the democrats? The democrats since Trump won the election have come with every lame excuse for why Trump won except for accepting defeat. First it was Comey's fault, then the electoral college, the russians, etc. If the democrats cannot come to grips with why HRC lost (and she seems unable to do so) then they are doomed to be a 2nd tier party.

Old 08-21-2017, 08:59 PM

6,083 posts, read 10,709,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveToRow View Post
Not only have Democrats lost focus, they've lost their minds. Insanity prevails on the left. They are truly unhinged right now.
The same can be said for those on the Right that support evil. Like, what kind of mindset do you even have to have?

Old 08-21-2017, 09:24 PM

11,046 posts, read 5,275,714 times
Quote:
I think if everybody would just calm the f*** down and have a dialogue, we'd find that a majority of people are against the true White Nationalist (Nazi) agenda. Those guys are truly scary and a threat to this nation.

a threat to this nation? .........White Nationalists are what? 6,000 to 8,000 in a nation of over 320 million people. They have no power and they have no platform coverage other than what the media gives them (that's on the media)

the bloods and cribs are more of a real threat to this country because they take over neighborhoods and have killed blacks and Latinos and the poor in high % rates, just look at the crime stats in Chicago, Detroit, Oakland, Los Angeles, D.C. and Baltimore and they are far better organized than the White Supremacists.......but you won't hear the left or the media cover that in detail.

Nazism lasted 12 years, 1933 to 1945.....Now communism has a far worse record than the Nazis and that is basically the platform and ideology of ANTIFA.

I guess you can say (not) that communists started with "good" intentions, they wanted everybody to be equally miserable until they got to power.

to split hairs and argue which one is better, Nazism or Communism is just a waste of time.,unless you are a Jew and of course for them Nazism is worse than Communism regardless if Communism has a far worse record and has killed far more than the Nazis and communism have enslaved over 1 billion people.

Old 08-21-2017, 09:50 PM

21,481 posts, read 10,585,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
See, this is one of the core problems with the Dems, their only message is "at least we are not the other guy", which is the message Hillary put out.

People who typically vote Dem, like me, do not want to hear this, we want to hear what policies are you putting forth that will improve my life and the lives of others and the US in general. What I do not want to hear is that I should vote for a candidate just because he/she is not Trump or who ever.
Or hear that you've been conned and are uneducated and/or racist or xenophobic. Have the Democrats toned down their hatred of Trump voters? Not one bit.

Old 08-21-2017, 10:26 PM

5,324 posts, read 6,103,926 times
I think dems have to stop letting the sjw's be their face.

The dems used to be the non elitist free speech group now somehow the republicans are known as the more free speech and working class side which is insane and dems have an elitist persona

Dems need to stop being outraged by everything even at jokes and labeling people you don't agree with racist sexist misogynist etc at every turn

I'm with the dems on a lot of issues but you got to stop letting the loons on your side run things it's making you look bad

I also honestly think Dems no longer feel they need the white male vote anymore which is why they've kinda left working the blue collar white base which is what killed Hillary

Bill even told her to go to the rustbelt a few weeks before the election but she refused thinking she no longer needs those votes
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies