Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2017, 05:52 PM

24,410 posts, read 26,971,175 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
Dems have a winning platform....they just put-up the wrong person.

What platform is that?

Have border laws, but don't enforce them and give everyone that doesn't follow the rules free health care and tuition?

Send evil corporations out of the country?

Make the taxes on gas so expensive that it forces people to do 10 people car pools, walk or just buy $100k teslas like the elites in their party?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2017, 05:55 PM

34,062 posts, read 17,081,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
What you are describing should be step 2.

Step 1 is you need to step back and realize how desperate voters had to be to pick Trump and then stop calling them all racists etc. because many of them were Obama voters. Instead of welcoming them back you're insulting them.

As it stands the democrats have a chance to be engaging and offer leadership instead of getting in the mud with Trump and wrestling.

1 in 10 2 time Obama voters voted for President Trump.

Old 08-21-2017, 06:00 PM

34,300 posts, read 15,656,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catgirl64 View Post
Jobs, wages, and health care ARE social justice issues. When did we start believing they are not?
They were issues long before the social justice nonsense took center stage. When everything is a social justice issue nothing is. You can't tax your way to social justice.

Last edited by phma; 08-21-2017 at 06:21 PM..

Old 08-21-2017, 06:00 PM

3,786 posts, read 5,332,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess Erica Mercer View Post
Agenda:

-affordable healthcare. Decrease drug prices & medical cost
- lower taxes for the bottom 99%
- Stop invading 3rd world countries, bring the troops back
- stop hiring defense contractors who are milking our tax dollars
- Secure the border, stop pandering to illegals
- promote education, clean energy etc.

Things I don't wanna here again:
- we are a nation of immigrants, so the more the merrier
- I will be the first woman president
- trasgender bathrooms are a top priority
- free college for all!!!!!!!!!!!!
If any party implemented this as their platform, that is the party that would earn my vote.

Old 08-21-2017, 06:12 PM

7,473 posts, read 4,018,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibby View Post
This is an honest question .... Do you know anyone at all who actually voted for Donald Trump?

IF you do - do you think of them as Racists & Nazis? IF you do - do you call them that to their face?

I listen to the media - CNN, ABC, NBC, MSNBC, CBS and the pundits and anchors and they actually say these things about Trump voters. I actually have a problem with this sort of nonsense and am positive that I'm not alone. The "Core problem" is not just poor messaging and no plan ... It's the Demonization of US Citizens because they did not vote for Hillary Clinton.

This Demonization is getting set in concrete - and the backlash to it will also be set in concrete.

Very good points.

Old 08-21-2017, 06:18 PM

5,472 posts, read 3,226,183 times
Quote:
One of the reasons Trump won the election is because he was able to so completely dominate the national conversation. I wonder sometimes if we (myself included) are letting the same thing happen again.

I'm not saying he shouldn't be criticized. He deserves it, richly. But we have to have something more to offer than simply being anti-Trump. If we don't start talking more about the things we want to accomplish, like better health care and decent wages, we are going to be just as screwed in 2020 as we were in 2016.

I am interested in hearing people's ideas about how to address this, and particularly interested in hearing from Democrats who jumped ship to support Trump, and what prompted that decision. I don't mean "Reagan Democrats" who have been voting Republican for decades, I mean the recently departed.

I honestly believe that we have a better agenda, or I wouldn't be a Dem. How can we get our message out there more effectively?
You are correct:
"We should start talking more about the things we want to accomplish, like better health care and decent wages"
"We should start talking about how to invigorate the promotion of New Start Up Business, all across America"
"We should start talking about vocation and technical Training on a Massive Scale.
"We should start talking about how to fund Medical Graduates to create an array of Clinic's with a mass volume of Technology", which will drive down the cost of testing and treatments.
"We should be talking about how to put pressure on every Pharmaceuticals that uses our Universities to do research and how they use our Federal Dollars to create drugs and then over charge us for what we already paid to have produced.

As to Reasons of how Trump got in:

Actually the reasons Trump won is because Bernie did not know when to acknowledge the Democratic Nominee and turn his peoples focus into the the understand of supporting the Democratic Agenda, by bringing his people into the Party Platform's Nominee. He split the vote, and fell into the Trump trap of patronizing him to fight against Hillary. Bernie, did not stop to think... he got "high" on the adulation even when the polls told him to throw his force to the party nominee. He took his divisiveness all the way into the Convention.

Bernie's jobs was to arouse the "young voter", and "those who had stood on the outside of politics", he did not what his value of mission was. As a result he "squandered it", and it cost us to be stuck with the likes of Trump.
Had he thought ahead, he would have been a Party Leader and some of his items would have take root in the Hillary Administration. But he did not understand the difference if what is a race and what is an Administration. He go lost in the race, running from behind, as if one had a limp in a 100 yrd dash and let vanity make him think he could catch the sprinter who held the lead. As a result not only did he split the vote, his unfounded insistence to persist caused 100's of thousands in many jurisdiction not to cast a vote. His bluster gave power the bluster and mis direction that Trump and his Russian Operatives invested heavily to promote.
Deep down people knew there was nothing to "emails', it was just a convenient angle for Trump because he had nothing else, other than belligerence and derogatory commentary to feed a drama cycle, by playing on the desperation of those who became his base.

The Voice was Elizabeth Warren, she had the beam to decimate Trump, but Sander staying in diluted the message.

Republican set their battle ship to firing against Hillary, two years before the Election with Benghazi, and when truth came to bear that it was the Republican Responsibility to provide Funding for Security and other Military Attributes, then they became silent... but the objective was to try and push blemish on Hillary, and when Sander stayed in and became him-selves adversarial belligerent, and forgot the power of his role, and the value of his contribution to the Party... He resulted to leave the gates open and the Criminal walked in.

It's a Travesty that many don't want to acknowledge. See Republican even with their contempt for Trump saw that the issue was the party and its Nominee, and they turned their support over to Trump, they did it begrudgingly, but they did it.
Sander did not... He came to the Convention not with a smile and a support posture, but with a scowl and never understood the damage that he did. Now the results are showing with this Buffoon we have in Office who has insulted America from the moment he got in the race, and he capped with that insulting presentation at the Inauguration, and has made it worst every day since.

The Democrats Forward Message is within the Voice of Elizabeth Warren... She has the focus and the knowledge to deal with the complexions that confound our economics, and she does not back off of calling the people to the table. If Sanders had known his role.. he would have found within the Clinton Administration a Position that Best suits his capabilities. That would have created a Three Tiered Force against Republican Madness. Sanders role would have been more out front and in view than even that of the Vice President, if he had understood. But equally so... Hillary should have been wiser and known how to help him bring his people into the fold of the Party Stand.

The Corrupt stuff Trump talked, was nothing more than a Deflection, to keep attention from his Corruption by trying to blame it on someone else. But time has proven that the True Corruption is Trump. Now people know how his game works, they look back and realize the mistake they made.
Trump uses Put Down Commentary as his life tool... and sadly people fell for it, because it created "street drama"... now its creating Global Havoc, and damaged our Allied Relations and brought out Government into the ineffective madness, that proves he is incapable, as he can't even fill standard cabinet position.

One has to look at "Records in Truth", Hillary has a record of serving American people, Trump has a Record of Fleecing American People, American Institution and Fleecing anything that he can, any way he can.
Now people can see the "lock her up" was Trumps means to deflect from the fact he knew he should be Locked up, so he deflected that by mis-direction upon and against Hillary by the use of "drama tactics".

Now, Truth shows, he has not a clue what he is doing. He thinks the Office of President is his access to pretend that he has the power over American, that Putin has over Russia.
Quote:
The Media is "Chasing Jack Rabbits"... with their now focus on Bannon... Bannon is a Rebel Rouses he is like Hitler's Propaganda Minister... as he now plays the Role of Trump Propaganda Minister from the use of a Media Platform. People should not get lost in the "Rabbit Chasing the Media is doing"... they cannot stick with the news and facts... they are now creating a narrative.. rather than staying focused on the tract and work that Mueller is Doing and the Matters that support the Mueller Investigation. And stay with the fact of the Trump Blunder Machine that Continues to Expose himself as a Criminal Swindler who is wreaking havoc in the Nations Executive Administration.

Old 08-21-2017, 06:20 PM

3,106 posts, read 1,770,628 times
Here is my voting record across my lifetime: Carter, Reagan, Reagan, Bush I, Clinton I, Clinton I, Bush II, Bush II, Obama, Romney, Trump. I am that great middle of the road mass that picks the winners. The zealots on either side can't win without the middle. Romney was the only one out of 11 elections that I got wrong, and to be honest it was a vote against Obama rather than for Romney. I wasn't excited about him because he didn't have a clue about average Americans. Obama on the other hand had taken identity politics too far for me to vote for him a second time.

Trump is a pompous a$$ who needs to put the phone down but he is right on some key policy issues such as dealing with illegal immigration and putting American interests ahead of that of other countries. Just as importantly, he shows respect for the military, the police, and most of all average Americans. We're not deplorable to him nor are we "clingers". He knows the vast majority of us are not racists or white supremacists, something the Dems don't seem to understand anymore.

The entire Democratic Party leadership continues to play the Obama era identity politics and in fact have amplified it. They refuse to call BLM out over calling for the killing of police or riots nor the violence coming from the Antifa crowd. They continue to embrace open borders and globalism no matter the cost to middle America. They refuse to utter the words Islamic terrorism.

Though I can go either way as demonstrated by my voting record, at this point I will likely vote Republican in 2018 & 2020 unless the Democratic Party disavows the extremists in their midst and puts forth some fresh faces that speak to the middle. I'm tired of hearing about bathrooms, Russia, and statues. It's political theater and the time has come for that show to end. I don't want to constantly hear that we're all racists and white supremacists if we disagree with anything those on the far left say. I've totally had it with identity politics; someone needs to tell the Democratic leadership that we're all Americans. I want to hear about border control and trade deals that are fair to the American worker. I'd like to hear some respect for the military and police. I'd like to hear some respect for middle of the road Americans who work for a living and play by the rules, and stop telling everyone who chooses not to that they're victims.

In a nutshell, during the Obama years the Democratic party abandoned the middle. If you want me back, talk to me about stuff that matters, and treat me with a little respect.

Old 08-21-2017, 06:24 PM

1,323 posts, read 588,982 times
Yep, we've lost focused.

Prescription to get it back and then some.

- Never mention Trump again, ever. Those who won't vote for him at all, or again and think he's douche don't need to be reminded of it. Those who will vote for him despite the last seven months won't change their minds, ever. So we shouldn't waste the time.

- Loudly declare, repeatedly, the 2nd amendment is a constitutional right and no new laws will be proposed or pursued. You'll get a 1/3 of the South back, along with the decimated blue wall.

- James Carville had it right in '92 - it's the economy, stupid. It was then, it is now and it will always be.

- Focus on the return of the American worker in the face of China's increasing wages.

- Public education is broken. Too many self-serving interests pollute the well. Bye to the Dept. of Education, and return to local education. Introduce tax policies/reduction to support parents in charge of their children's education. Meaning, I keep more of my money so I can educate my child.

- It took my mother three years to get her residency back in the 70's and she was medical resident in pediatric surgery. No one skips the line. Accommodations are still made for political asylum.

- 45k wicked proud Bostonians came out to confront a handful of supremacist degenerates. We've won, over and over again. Ignore the bastards and let's focus on the real evil in this country - Citizens United.

- Lastly, put forth a candidate who has a vision to follow and passion to match.

Old 08-21-2017, 06:24 PM

7,473 posts, read 4,018,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicholas_n View Post
The funny thing is that, when Obama was president, those on the right were shouting about how bad the economy was, how expensive healthcare was, how many people were unemployed, and etc, while those on the left thought pretty much everything was honky-dory.

Now that Trump is in, the roles have switched, but I don't really see how anything is drastically different under the Trump administration than it was under Obama's. Aside from harder smack talk, nothing has really changed.

There are really only a handful of people out there who seem capable of doing anything aside from throwing dirt at the other side, and not many of those people are in government. I don't have any faith in either establishment to fix anything.

Having seen this crap build to the level of idiocracy it has now attained after being on this planet for almost 7 decades.............I agree with your assessment.

Old 08-21-2017, 06:30 PM

25,231 posts, read 16,944,857 times
Quote:
I liked your earlier post a lot, it was one of the first ones that actually addressed the question seriously. There is one thing I don't understand, though, and that is, how can you be okay with someone who is proud of being racist? Race and politics don't define a person, but actual racism, proudly embraced? I don't understand how get along with this person, unless it's in hopes of changing his heart.
He has a lot of good in him, and he acts more the racist in private company yet he has gone out of his way and expense to help both brown and black people, he does not share that with many. I am thinking more show than actual substance, we are in Texas and in the country, some people think that gets them accepted, they are actually wrong. No, if someone is a true arse about race I do not tend to stay in contact, tried talking with a few and change their perspective, forget it, save your time. I am as white as they come, and fit right in and my background, German Born and West Texas raised, and the Aryan Look makes some comfortable so they say things that would shock some. I pick my battles and know that the reality is that there are just a whole lot of Ignorant People in this world. One day you may realize that the world is made up of good and evil, there does not seem to be a trend to changing that any time soon, people are who we are and we still have a long way to go as a Species. But, so long as there are good people standing up for what is right in this world then there is always hope that we will learn.
Good Luck from an Observer (For Now)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies