Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should Texas get federal clean-up funds?
Yes, it's the right thing to do 126 87.50%
No, they should practice what they preach 18 12.50%
Voters: 144. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2017, 10:31 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,944,294 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
The pork excuse is just that. It is a lie that helps Texans dismiss the reality that they turned their backs on fellow Americans in a time of need because of politics.
Maybe you should speak for yourself. What did you do to help fellow Americans during Katrina, Rita, Sandy, Ike, Harvey, etc? Texans (including this Texan) have sent help over and over again, all over the country, for various disasters.

Texas ranks in the top half of the states when it comes to charitable donations, time spent volunteering per capita, etc. http://time.com/money/4401264/most-c...united-states/

By the way, there were NUMEROUS bills regarding relief from the costs of Sandy. The first bill - for $9.7 BILLION dollars - was unopposed by Texas (and other) Republicans. It was passed quickly. Other versions were filled with pork. Yes, the final one that passed had the pork cut out of it, but it was there originally, which is what many Republicans (not just Texans) were against. But $9.7 BILLION was already agreed on and on it's way quickly.

Last edited by KathrynAragon; 08-29-2017 at 10:46 AM..

Old 08-29-2017, 10:32 AM

15,638 posts, read 10,393,078 times
http://www.wwltv.com/img/resize/cont...et=video-still

Some people have lost everything. My heart breaks.....

My friends in Corpus Christi that did not evacuate are fine, no flooding in their home but feet of flooding on their street, and they even have power as of last night. My friends in the Heights in Houston are still not flooded, but they can't leave their home because all the streets are "rivers", they said. I haven't been able to get in touch with our friends in River Oaks in Houston. I have no idea how this neighborhood is doing.

Old 08-29-2017, 10:51 AM

17,155 posts, read 12,965,617 times
Quote:
The pork excuse is just that. It is a lie that helps Texans dismiss the reality that they turned their backs on fellow Americans in a time of need because of politics.
Congratulations. You win a gold star for the most petty poster of the day by throwing your own politics into the face of what is probably the largest natural disaster in American history

Old 08-29-2017, 11:01 AM

18,773 posts, read 18,145,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibby View Post
I read a couple of articles this morning about "Why Houston Floods" and the Big Problems with the Earthen Dams. This isn't "new stuff" - it's been recognized as a Major Problem for years and now these "50 year" Floods are happening constantly - the "100 year Floods" coming twice a year.

Dams first as that is more eminent -

Houston dams are old, beat up and a vital line of defense |Houston Chronicle - September 2, 2016

Now about the Floods - Every single person living in Houston should read this series of Articles 2-3 times. They have been kicking this rusted can done the road for decades - it will mean very hard choices for both the Citizens and the Local Government and it will require an "all hands on deck" approach. Houston has to pull together on this and decide what to do. It needs to be a "people" decision and not a "political" decision.

It's all about "what" is causing these increasing Floods and the only solutions available.

How to fix the Houston floods |Houston Chronicle - January 1, 2017
Great articles! They put a price tag of $27 billion on what is needed. I am curious what it will cost to rebuild Southeastern Texas after Harvey? When so much has to be rebuilt is a great time to figure in some or all of the needed changes and prevent this from happening again.

Old 08-29-2017, 11:10 AM

15,532 posts, read 10,504,683 times
Quote:
Put a lid on it, my family spent months working with Katrina victims. You should be ashamed of yourself.

Old 08-29-2017, 11:12 AM

39,078 posts, read 51,239,172 times
Please get Trump and the Gold Digger off my TV. They have nothing of value to add to this crisis. I want to see real decent people helping each other, not another photo op for Trump Inc.

Old 08-29-2017, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elan View Post
Put a lid on it, my family spent months working with Katrina victims. You should be ashamed of yourself.
You know as well as I do that I am talking about your congressional delegation who voted 25/26? to say you're on your own to Sandy victims and the pork excuse is nonsense. It was politics. Way, way up thread I gave a shout out to Gov. Perry who was one of the first and the few that stepped up to take in refugees from NOLA. I see that some of the same people are getting flooded again in Houston.

Old 08-29-2017, 11:17 AM

4,067 posts, read 2,274,211 times
Quote:
Please get Trump and the Gold Digger off my TV. They have nothing of value to add to this crisis. I want to see real decent people helping each other, not another photo op for Trump Inc.
Turn your TV off. Then go find something else to complain about.

Old 08-29-2017, 11:22 AM

18,773 posts, read 18,145,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandraMoore66 View Post
Thank you! There are many people that need help and you don't bite any hands until you see what they are holding. It will be a massive rebuilding project and the damage from this flood will affect the whole Nation.

Old 08-29-2017, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandraMoore66 View Post
Whenever Trump comes on I quickly switch to Lifetime and whatever man bad/woman good movie is showing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies