Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should Texas get federal clean-up funds?
Yes, it's the right thing to do 126 87.50%
No, they should practice what they preach 18 12.50%
Voters: 144. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2017, 08:28 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,721,445 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
The advice from the governor was for people to evacuate themselves.You don't need local leadership permission to get in your car and leave town. They chose to stay. It is as simple as that. I do not think it is even possible to evacuate everyone in a city the size of Houston. Here in South Florida we understand no one can evacuate everyone from here either, and they typically advice against a mass-exodus. You keep talking about city leadership as if they are in control of your life. They are not. You are in charge for your self, and your family.
It is not reasonable to expect millions to evacuate. Where would they go? For how long? Then what? This is the very real risk of living in an area prone to hurricanes and tropical storms. This one is unprecedented.

Old 08-28-2017, 08:36 AM
JRR

8,164 posts, read 5,656,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post

Yes, and let's not absolve Obama and his lack of response to Katrina. These people seem to have forgotten that. But, everything is Trump's fault! Stupid asses!
Maybe it's time to change the name to Nonsenseguy?..................

Old 08-28-2017, 08:37 AM

Quote:
The Mayor of Houston told them they did not need to leave (he's a Democrat). My sister lives in Magnolia, TX, about 42 miles outside Houston (to the North and slightly West). She posted on FB that her yard was flooded twice (drained and flooded again) and she is trapped in her house, as the roads are all flooded around her. She says she has rolled up rugs and stacked her furniture, hoping for the best. So far her house (she says in the middle of her 2 acre plot) has remained dry. She is there with her two children. I had asked her why she didn't leave (she could have gone back to her summer home on Lake Chautauqua, NY, which she just left for the season). That's when she told me that they were not told they should leave. Stupid. Very sad.
Sounds to me like the Mayor of Houston understood that millions of people evacuating at the same time was a greater prescription for disaster. Where would they go? For how long? Then what?

Sounds like your sister has the means to get out of Dodge, come what may. That's the not case for most people in the greater Houston metro area.

Some large businesses compel the evacuation of key employees to regional offices throughout the US, well before a major storm. They expect key employees to get on a plane and depart for an assigned destination. Non-critical employees- not so much.

Old 08-28-2017, 08:37 AM

51,648 posts, read 25,800,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
It is not reasonable to expect millions to evacuate. Where would they go? For how long? Then what? This is the very real risk of living in an area prone to hurricanes and tropical storms. This one is unprecedented.
Where would they go?

Old 08-28-2017, 08:43 AM

76,975 posts, read 47,611,572 times
Quote:
The Mayor of Houston told them they did not need to leave (he's a Democrat). My sister lives in Magnolia, TX, about 42 miles outside Houston (to the North and slightly West). She posted on FB that her yard was flooded twice (drained and flooded again) and she is trapped in her house, as the roads are all flooded around her. She says she has rolled up rugs and stacked her furniture, hoping for the best. So far her house (she says in the middle of her 2 acre plot) has remained dry. She is there with her two children. I had asked her why she didn't leave (she could have gone back to her summer home on Lake Chautauqua, NY, which she just left for the season). That's when she told me that they were not told they should leave. Stupid. Very sad.
Why did she wait for the opinion of mayor of Houston, when she doesn't even live there? Everyone was free to evacuate, but chose to stay.

Old 08-28-2017, 08:45 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,045,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveToRow View Post
Well, it's not like you've ever held him accountable for anything else.

so blame him for Katrina

this is fun

Old 08-28-2017, 08:47 AM

51,648 posts, read 25,800,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
so blame him for Katrina

this is fun
Might as well blame him for the Hindenburg Disaster while we're at it.

Old 08-28-2017, 08:49 AM

17,156 posts, read 12,954,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernProper View Post
And you can't make people leave. I remember yelling at my television "get out, people!" when they were told that Katrina was going to wipe them off them off the map. Yet there they sat, not wanting to leave their "stuff". Not believing the news "hype". Elderly people refused to leave with their children, and died. As someone who evacuated to Tennessee during Cat 1 Isaac, I will never understand.
Let me explain this to you. Our governor advised evacuation. He said we should leave for our safety. Our mayor advised staying where we are. How do Houstonians deal with this conflicting advice? The mayor said we should stay because the 6+ million people in the Houston metro area would clog the streets so bad we would not be able to escape safely, even though we have anti flow evacuation routes. And while we're on the subject of elderly people, many of them don't have kids living in their city, or kids who care about them. They can't drive, don't have cars, whatever. There are reasons people won't leave, and it isn't just materialism. Someone said we should pay more taxes to help with flooding. We have been paying an extra "drainage fee" for 7 years now. It hasn't done any good at all.

Old 08-28-2017, 08:49 AM

3,866 posts, read 3,141,827 times
The USA is vulnerable in national emergencies and panics due to over reliance on the personal automobile and highways as the main source of transportation. There is just no way to evacuate 6 million people with such low capacity transport methods and capabilities. The fuel supplies would simply run out due to too much demand in a constrained amount of time making the expressways the highway of death.

Last edited by Coseau; 08-28-2017 at 09:02 AM..

Old 08-28-2017, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Trump's incompetence? He has taken all necessary steps for Federal assistance. What more can he do? As to your other comment, the Democrats have held up confirmation of his appointments. Quit watching CNN and MSNBC et al. You might learn something.
As of June, Trump had not nominated anyone for 442 out of 559 positions requiring Senate confirmation.

According to this, he blasted the Democrats for the failure to confirm his appointment of an ambassador to London. He tweeted first and asked questions later. He never nominated anyone for the post.

Donald Trump Has Not Appointed Nominees to Many Posts | Time.com

The new FEMA head was confirmed in June, just 2 months after his nomination. Only 4 Senators voted against him. His philosophy is that states need to shoulder more of the burden of disaster relief.

Trump
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies