Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should Texas get federal clean-up funds?
Yes, it's the right thing to do 126 87.50%
No, they should practice what they preach 18 12.50%
Voters: 144. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2017, 07:20 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,187,535 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
It was not about pork and everyone knows it. The Texas and other lawnakers wanted to show they were "tough" agaibst government spending, especially when it cones to helping a northern blue state.
That's all it was. Likely bitterness because New Jersey went for Obama. They were grandstanding. The Texas Delegation pulls this crap regularly.

Texans are always trying to sell everyone on this facade of "rugged individualism," but it's a joke. Dig deeper, and you'll see what a pretense it is.

Even their corporations get in on the game.

https://www.cato.org/blog/enron-dependent-government

Quote:
Early in the Bush administration, high-level officials went to considerable lengths to help Enron on an investment in India that had gone bad. When the Washington Post reported this in 2002, the administration argued that it was simply trying to guard taxpayer interests in the more than $600 million in federal loans that had been given to Enron by Ex-Im and the Overseas Private Investment Corporation. However, the government should not be putting taxpayer money into such risky private schemes in the first place.

Old 08-30-2017, 07:22 PM

33,321 posts, read 12,511,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
Hard to believe that furniture stores would open up to shelter folks, even sending trucks out to pick up stranded people, but his church waited to be asked.

Not hard to believe for Houston metro residents, as the owner of those furniture stores is Jim "Mattress Mack" McIngvale .

Old 08-30-2017, 07:24 PM

8,390 posts, read 7,641,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
Well, we don't really pay taxes equally. Higher earners typically pay more taxes.
Good points. A lot of this seems to really be about who is richer and who is poorer. As well as who is willing to chip in when the chips are down for your neighbors, even if you dislike said neighbors.

Old 08-30-2017, 07:24 PM

16,911 posts, read 10,586,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vacoder View Post
Here is reality. Cruz claimed that the bill contained 2/3 pork. Fact is all but 3 percent of bill was directly Sandy related. Of that 3 percent the majority was for a federally declared disaster in Alaska in 2012 that they received no fund for.

Cruz is a complete liar. Want more evidence of hypocrisy? In 2011 and 2012, the two years before Sandy Texas was the biggest recipient in federal disaster relief in the country. Let Texans explain that one!
Exactly. That's why the call him "lyin' Ted."

Old 08-30-2017, 07:25 PM

9,742 posts, read 4,493,361 times
This was not a pork issue. I have posted multiple links which no one has yet to refute. This was Cruz grand standing on the republican idealogy that we are only responsible to our selves. And now Cruz will become the hippocrate and vote that others aid Texas.

Eat it. Live it. There is nothing more to say.

Old 08-30-2017, 07:27 PM

37,949 posts, read 17,857,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
Would you say the same about California if there was a major earthquake there?
Sure why not

Old 08-30-2017, 07:28 PM

16,911 posts, read 10,586,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
LMAO...did you abandon the other sinking turd to run to this one?

Clueless. Partisan. Axe grinding.

On the plus side maybe you learned what an economic good was today for the first time but I really doubt it.
I already responded to all the garbage strewn about in the other topic.

Old 08-30-2017, 07:28 PM

6,141 posts, read 3,371,362 times
I ama totally flummoxed.. that Cheeto Trump pledges all this assistance which will no doubt be twice what Katrina was.. YET defunds FEMA.. doesn't bother replace those that run it.. place 100% on the Shoulders of "ONE" guy!! States have learned tooo adopt to changes and recognize a whole massive things.. HOWEVER.. Texas refused to do anything to re-enforce those dams which are breaching and no doubt flooding out even those who had never experienced anything like this... Meanwhile POTUS promises immediate turnaround blah blah.. Sorry his expletives fall on MY DEAF EARS!!

Meanwhile , he ignores the increase severity of CLIMATE change.. and suggests It's normal.. Team's tello that to your children!!! Those 75 year old Dams/Reservoirs have NOT been upgraded.. and the stress have never aoocured before.. SO Politicians seem to have to wait until innocent taxpaying citizens to die/suffer and lose everything they had to work for BEFORE they ( Politicians) all of a sudden realize REALITY!!

Trump told the World he would BACK out of Climate Change deals.. wether or not the WORLD recognizes it as Real and Scientist have proven for decades the changes.. BUT Heir Trump promises that Texan's will be fine

There's a whole disconnect with Party Leadership/Politicians and false claims that unfortunately are killing INNOCENTS. Children/animals can't vote.. But when whole families get wiped out.. Life long assets someone has worked their whole life GETS wiped out becomes a "NIGHTMARE" that Heir Trump cannot connect with much less CARE sincerely!! Unfortunately.. Your POTUS plays a very dangerous GAME and it's going to directly affect REGULAR citizens.. Meanwhile lobbyists.. extreme/conspiracy types will promote the propaganda and LIAR in Chief will double down!!!

BOY, I sure pray for those who are suffering because of political discourse.. THEY should never be made to SUFFER like this.. and yet Politican's ( not all) will double down of how ALL will be well.. Trump will never ever earn the " Comforter-in-CHief" label ever.. He wants to talk the talk.. BUT CANNOT WALK the WALK!!

My heart breaks for those suffering right thru NO fault of their own.. and Mother Nature is turing usual routine behaviours on it's HEAD!! HOW many Storms like Hurricane Harvey has EVER acted like this.. Hits.. STAYS..moves back to Gulf.. regain strength.. and return to kill and drown more!! Sorry. what FEMA is doing is great.. and Trump/GOP is defunding.. and Trump's doesn't assign support for his singular leader of it.. WHY does Less gov. folks believe that the actual " Knowledgable workers BEE's" are unnecessary? Just maybe something like Texas Disaster might remind.. those unseen powers you don't need today.. YOUR may very well NEED TOMORROW!!

Just a reminder.. Death tolls will rise+++ when water recedes.. you have to bet there's going to +++++ found after that!!

Last edited by Lyndarn; 08-30-2017 at 07:36 PM..

Old 08-30-2017, 07:30 PM

9,742 posts, read 4,493,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Sooo, you just cherry picked 2 years as representative of typical major catastrophe years after just seeing the first serious hurricane in over a decade?

That's like rolling two dice and seeing 4-4 and concluding that the dice have 4's on every side.

Where I work, I'm not sure I'd trust you with our lunch order but we might give you a keyboard and mouse as long as they're not connected to anything.
This is not cherry picking. This is Texas asking for federal help. If I gave you a stat where Texas inception to date had more reliefwould that change your mind?

I do not work for someone. I hire people. Based on your response you lack the qualifications. How does that sophmoric diss work for you?

You could have chose logical discourse.

Old 08-30-2017, 07:30 PM

33,571 posts, read 18,152,594 times
They are Americans. Of course they should be helped.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies