Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should Texas get federal clean-up funds?
Yes, it's the right thing to do 126 87.50%
No, they should practice what they preach 18 12.50%
Voters: 144. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2017, 07:37 PM

21,536 posts, read 10,667,056 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbmaise View Post
I hope Texans remember and shop for all those replacement mattresses at only his store.
Houstonians know Mattress Mack and his generosity. This is completely in character for him. He's been helping people here in Houston for decades. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if he gives the furniture to these people when they finally get back into their homes or new housing.

Old 08-30-2017, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
Hey, just checking in.

Have power and such. Internet back up.

Lost a couple battles and won a couple.

Now, just waiting for the chemical plant six miles (as the crow flies) to explode and leak chemicals into the air.

https://www.cnbc.com/amp/2017/08/30/...explosion.html
Good to see you and Sandra made it through the storm. And AT5G is still helping people out all over town.

Can you get away from the chemical plant? That is scary.

Old 08-30-2017, 07:47 PM

Quote:
No, my figure is between 200 and 300 thousand.

I think Houston highways can easily safely move this number of people in 4 days notice to higher ground. Don't you?
It was way too large of an area to accomplish what you think. I don't think you understand the scale here.

Old 08-30-2017, 07:47 PM

20,944 posts, read 8,741,635 times
Of course the Feds should help....BUT, only after
Local
County
State
Charity
Donations from the MANY Texas Billionaires and companies that call that area home
Insurance companies

And, OF COURSE anything relating to disease and/or injury and death...that goes unsaid. We all pitch in (I have already with the Red Cross let alone my tax money) until the waters subside...

However, I read the cost could already exceed 200 BILLION dollars. Maybe more. We are already far into deficit spending and have a 20 Trillion dollar national debt which is going to be raised any day not.

Trump wants to spend even more on the military - which, of course, means no hope in paying back deficit or debt.

So, why not stop playing this game and just print more and more money for everyone? Of course, I say that in jest - but to quote conservatives, resources are limited. 100 Billion spent in Houston means many will suffer and die elsewhere from lack of Medical Care (another thing "lying Ted" is trying to take away from people all over the country - including his fellow Texans)...

The honest truth - which no one likes to hear - is that we don't have enough money for our one trillion dollar security state and the constant wars and occupations....and then to take care of our own here at home.

So which is it (I am asking Lying Ted?)......or lying Trump.....or lying Ryan....

Texas is a vast polluter and the largest per capital user of energy in the USA (people have larger houses, cars, less public transit, more private jets and so-on). Global Warming...they have spent vast sums (Texas corporations - helped by Government) on climate change denial....yet these storms are probably (according to scientists) larger and more frequent due to warming of the Arctic.

Then we have the last question - that of our Federal Dollars rebuilding beaches an strips of sand...and the million dollar plus houses that sit upon them - over and over again.

This is the problem here in the USA- we refuse the make the hard choices. Texas has decided (largely) to screw their residents when it comes to health care and education and many other aspects of modern civilization - rather making government work in favor of the oil barons and various other monied influences. They champion over-consumption. They threaten to suceed from the Union.

Trump wants to remove even MORE Regulations so more and more things like this can happen...and make things worse. As we speak a large chemical plant there is reported to be ready to explode. But - hey - let's remove more regulations so business can thrive, right?

One can only imagine the amount of oil and poisons that will be entering the Gulf, the air and the land from all of this.

Anyway, my point is - that, just as we make rules of decency for our children if they want to live in our houses when they are older....so should our States tow the line on regulations, safety, care of their people and the many other things that make a sane society.

It's not the OK Corral any longer....and I'd feel much better bailing out a state where they had already done everything possible to use less energy, pollute less and regulate in order to keep their populace safer and healthier.

We have to separate people....from larger policy.

Old 08-30-2017, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Of the 9 major Houston floods in the past 28 years, some were rain events and some were hurricanes.

Yes, Harvey may have impacted more people and homes than the flood of 1994, however there has been a giant increase in the number of homes, malls, and wetlands filled in.

Had the same October 1994 rain event occurred this past week, far far more people would have been effected.

So many are tossing your hands in the air and saying,

Well there is nothing we can do!

That simply is not true especially for the 200-300 thousand who clearly should have been told to go.

Yes all freaking 6 million can't go, however there is no need.
Which 200-300 thousand people would you pick? Would you have a crystal ball and know which area would be impacted? Would it be 200-300 thousand from Dickinson or Pearland or Katy or Bellaire or Downtown or Cypress-Fairbanks, or any number of areas affected? I know these are just names to you, but they are spread out over hundreds of square miles.

Old 08-30-2017, 08:00 PM

10,793 posts, read 13,585,160 times
Default All lives matter in houston

Aint it funny......aint it sad...........

The police are heroes now! All lives suddenly matter now!

It takes and act of God to stop us from fighting and marching and pulling down statues

Old 08-30-2017, 08:03 PM

33,471 posts, read 12,742,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vacoder View Post
Not from Houston. But are you saying the mattress salesman is more well thought of than the mega-church pastor?
See Katygirl68's post (#1826 on the thread).

You'd have to either live in or be very, very familiar with (family members and close friends who live here, etc.) the Houston metro to really understand my post.

Old 08-30-2017, 08:04 PM

8,165 posts, read 8,575,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
<>My understanding is that Houston has been very remiss in enforcing floodplain regulations even under the current floodplain limits. If that is the case, then they need to change their ways as much as that might fly in the face of "freedom". You can't expect the nation to pay over and over while regulations are being ignored.
Where I lived up North there was a nice creek with decent homes right by the stream side. After one flood the owners were given rescue gifts of furniture and appliances. When interviewed by the local TV reporter they admitted the looked forward to Spring when they would get new furniture from the generous folk, "uphill."

Over and over.

Old 08-30-2017, 08:07 PM

3,006 posts, read 2,645,159 times
Nobody has ever said your life doesn't matter. Saying Black Lives Matter doesn't mean yours doesn't.

Old 08-30-2017, 08:08 PM

57,400 posts, read 26,429,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Sooo, you just cherry picked 2 years as representative of typical major catastrophe years after just seeing the first serious hurricane in over a decade?

That's like rolling two dice and seeing 4-4 and concluding that the dice have 4's on every side.

Where I work, I'm not sure I'd trust you with our lunch order but we might give you a keyboard and mouse as long as they're not connected to anything.
Texas is the 2nd largest beneficiary after Louisiana, Houston alone consumes more federal dollars than most states going back from present to 1978.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies