Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2017, 02:51 PM

15,154 posts, read 11,624,440 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
Nope.

If that were the case, I'd never watch TV or movies again, unacceptable to me over petty politics.

Should I then not date or marry someone because of their political affiliation?

Should I quit my job because my coworkers don't share my political views?

Feel me?
Again, I refer to actors who preach hateful violence, not ones that simply disagree. Would you date or marry someone who tweets that they are thinking of blowing up the White House? Would you want to work in an office where your co-workers hope the President gets assasinated?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2017, 02:56 PM

15,632 posts, read 10,390,278 times
There are many Far Left actors I boycott at the movie theaters. I won't even watch them on TV for free. These Hollywood activists can say what they want and I can avoid them at the box office.

Old 08-27-2017, 02:56 PM

9,329 posts, read 4,142,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ELOrocks17 View Post
For instance, the remake of the movie "It" is coming out soon. I probably wont see it due to Steven Kings hateful rhetoric against our President.

Its odd that these people who knowingly alienate half their audience by spouting off their hateful rants. Why?
I wish you would have included quotations, because I'm not aware of King's advocating violence against Trump.

Surely you don't think that creative people - especially writers! - don't have a right to freedom of speech.

On the other hand, seeing that it's Stephen King - maybe he feels that Trump provides too much competition. After all, King specializes in horror, and so perhaps he resents that Trump is perpetrating so much horror on America.

Old 08-27-2017, 02:59 PM

7,800 posts, read 4,400,201 times
Quote:
Again, I refer to actors who preach hateful violence, not ones that simply disagree. Would you date or marry someone who tweets that they are thinking of blowing up the White House? Would you want to work in an office where your co-workers hope the President gets assasinated?

Would you vote for a person who says he would like to date his daughter? How about a candidate that defrauded tens of millions of dollars from a scam real estate course? Or, how about a man that made a living out of screwing his low level employees out of their pay or reneging on his promises to pay contractors for work performed.... or...

Oh Wait!!!!!!

Old 08-27-2017, 03:12 PM

23,297 posts, read 18,837,889 times
No. Actors, directors, writers are human and they have their points of view just as I do. I think its healthy to expose myself to prejudiced views because those views may enforce, justify, clarify, or even dissuade my own. What is wrong with that? I can certainly decide to hate what they did or love it. I also believe that a person's views can and should change over their lifetime.

I try to be a discerning and tolerant humanoid. By shutting myself off from everything even slightly risky I am only shutting myself into smaller and smaller boxes. Eventually I'll become so ignorant and fearful that I contribute nothing other than carbon dioxide and soil fertilizer.

Old 08-27-2017, 03:17 PM

81 posts, read 64,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
i dont care what political stance actors, directors, producers, etc. have. that is not why i go see movies, or dont go see movies. i go to the movies to be entertained and nothing else. if the actors and company can do that, then fine. if they cant, then i dont go.
In a different time, long ago, some romantic stars were revealed to be homosexual after which people (like my mother and her friends) said they could never enjoy another movie with those actors, essentially "acting straight."

Didn't they know the actors were really not in love with their co-stars before? That might (but doesn't really) say good things about the acting talent of those who were boycotted for ... good acting.

If celebrities' work hasn't changed before or after they voiced their views, neither has my OPINION of their work changed.

Old 08-27-2017, 03:35 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,674,856 times
Quote:
Well, in that case no one would EVER watch a Mel Gibson movie....

As far as working with people.....I always thought we ALL have "freedom of thought". If a coworker wants to skin Trump alive (in his mind), that is A-OK with me.

Old 08-27-2017, 03:37 PM

2,112 posts, read 1,141,283 times
I feel sorry for anyone who boycotts a movie or actor because of the actors political views.

Then again, they probably have crappy taste in movies so it might not matter

Old 08-27-2017, 03:50 PM

33,571 posts, read 18,161,091 times
I don't like creeps that make fun of assassinating Trump. It does affect my outlook on them. They will NOT get my money at the box office. I am not going to make them rich .

Old 08-27-2017, 04:11 PM

1,548 posts, read 913,343 times
My boycott began long before the election because I don't find much of what they put out interests me anymore. I still like what I liked before, even if the actors came after President Trump. Alec Baldwin is a good example. Some of his old SNL bits are classics. "Schweaty Balls", "Canteen Boy", the Glengary Christmas skit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies