Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2017, 12:12 PM

9,727 posts, read 9,725,343 times

Advertisements

How about one of these?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bENF08EyIck
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2017, 12:20 PM

923 posts, read 1,429,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchoc View Post
No doubt some things could be abused but at the same time, a military grade sniper rifle could work wonders in a hostage situation or maybe military grade night vision on a drug raid. Do the police need a M1 Abrams tank ... probably not.
Yeah, maybe with military grade night vision they could raid the right house.

Old 08-28-2017, 01:01 PM

7,800 posts, read 10,103,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beaconowner View Post
You'd feel differently if they were aiming this stuff at YOU!

The United States is not at war with its citizens. There is no place in America that would require military type vehicles, weapons, or munitions to be used on the populace.
^ this

The police are not the military, they are not an occupying force. I am not opposed to the police having access to tactical vests, helmets, rifles, armored personnel carriers, etc for extreme emergencies but I don't think they should be using this stuff for day to day policing. They are already too militarized and military-like. Lately there has been a trend towards external vests, thigh holsters, etc. They look like commandos, not cops.

Old 08-28-2017, 01:08 PM

15,706 posts, read 11,769,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchoc View Post
The true motivation for this is probably because Obama implemented restrictions on the militarization of police. It does not matter what Obama did, if it was a program handing out food to starving children, Trump hates it.

However, in this case, if the military equipment is used with discretion when it comes to gangs and such, I'm OK with it. This may be the first and only time I come close to generally approving something Trump does.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/polit...=.3e5c189e4649

"Attorney General Jeff Sessions is announcing a plan to lift restrictions on surplus military equipment that can be passed on to police."
Just another step toward a fascist authoritarian regime. Trump wants martial law to take over.

Old 08-28-2017, 01:10 PM

15,706 posts, read 11,769,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharpydove View Post
Great news! Our law enforcement does not need to have their hands tied when it come to protecting our citizens and property. It's time to get tough on thugs!
Tough on thugs with grenade launchers and bayonets?

Old 08-28-2017, 01:24 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,734,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY_refugee87 View Post
There is literally BILLIONS of dollars worth of equipment just left abandoned places around the world. Never mind the surplus tanks helicopters and jets that sit in Nevada desert that have fluids drained and used as targets for testing new ordinances.

I don't care if you are pro gun/pro military, one thing that irks me beyond belief is the billions in vehicles and munitions that we've all paid for to either be destroyed or left to rot...

Every year, billions of rounds are incinerated. We've all paid for that ammo. Instead of burning, how about sell it at steep discounts?
Repeal the Hughes amendment act, bring armament back here to sell. I won't do much for a Klondike bar but I'll do some freaky things for an M60
It's too expensive to ship back, so the US has sold much of it as scrap to countries they consider safe. Israel is one of them. Israel made a massive purchase at 0.25 cents per kilo. M60s were part of this sale.

Old 08-28-2017, 01:27 PM

45,201 posts, read 26,421,987 times
Not suprised, Trump is a horrible authortarian. The american public has more to fear from the cops than any terrorist or drug dealer.

Old 08-28-2017, 01:37 PM

4,344 posts, read 5,795,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WIHS2006 View Post
^ this

The police are not the military
, they are not an occupying force. I am not opposed to the police having access to tactical vests, helmets, rifles, armored personnel carriers, etc for extreme emergencies but I don't think they should be using this stuff for day to day policing. They are already too militarized and military-like. Lately there has been a trend towards external vests, thigh holsters, etc. They look like commandos, not cops.
While they may not be, some police officers are prior military. An old neighbor of ours was Special Forces, he separated from the military and became a police officer.

I don't see the issue with police forces having access to some of the equipment our military has a surplus of. If it helps to protect others, keep them safe and get them home to their families, isn't that the goal?

Old 08-28-2017, 01:40 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,734,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Not suprised, Trump is a horrible authortarian. The american public has more to fear from the cops than any terrorist or drug dealer.
Today's LEOs have nothing to do with who the POTUS is. Cities across the US have relaxed requirements beyond belief and add in minority percentage requirements and those standards were lowered even more. I know LEOs who do background checks on perspective LEOs and some of their backgrounds are pretty bad. What's worse is that some of those who were minorities were actually hired. I know one and her background, she was hired and then placed on lifetime desk duty.

Old 08-28-2017, 01:40 PM

45,201 posts, read 26,421,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladybug07 View Post
While they may not be, some police officers are prior military. An old neighbor of ours was Special Forces, he separated from the military and became a police officer.

I don't see the issue with police forces having access to some of the equipment our military has a surplus of. If it helps to protect others, keep them safe and get them home to their families, isn't that the goal?
No. The goal is to enforce the states rules upon the people. If you are made safer by any of it, its purely coincidental.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies