Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-29-2017, 03:37 PM

8,518 posts, read 3,760,601 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
What has that got to do with a hurricane that hits land every once in a while. Like it has since time immemorial.

With hurricanes its not a matter of if but a matter of when a storm will hit land. AGW has nothing to do with that.
We should be moving on to other forms of energy . Period. But then Bubba couldn't roll coal on me at the stop light.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2017, 03:38 PM

27,307 posts, read 16,237,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AfriqueNY View Post
We should be moving on to other forms of energy . Period. But then Bubba couldn't roll coal on me at the stop light.
Won't stop a hurricane from whacking land.

Old 08-29-2017, 03:39 PM

14,361 posts, read 9,795,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
Maybe states should pay for their own disasters and leave the rest of us out of it.
The heart of the left revealing itself.

Maybe poor people should pay for their own food and leave the rest of us out of it.

Same absurd logic, glad I don't think like you people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
A hurricane that went from a tropical depression on Wednesday 500 miles off shore to a hurricane on Thursday moving at a few MPH, dropped over 40 inches of rain, remained 5 days moving inland and then back out to the coast, what hurricane do you recall fitting that mold.
Why do you have to turn every disaster into a political point? What is wrong with you?

Old 08-29-2017, 03:41 PM

10,553 posts, read 9,656,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
But there have been several similar in history.
Actually not really. In terms of rainfall, this storm is without precedent:

"The rain from Harvey is in a class of its own. The storm has unloaded over 50 inches of rain east of Houston, the greatest amount ever recorded in the Lower 48 states from a single storm. And it’s still raining."

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.76fa747260c8

Old 08-29-2017, 04:13 PM

1,243 posts, read 1,148,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemint View Post

"The rain from Harvey is in a class of its own. The storm has unloaded over 50 inches of rain east of Houston, the greatest amount ever recorded in the Lower 48 states from a single storm. And it’s still raining."

"Without precedent..."

"The greatest amount ever recorded..."

Tell me, could anyone here tell of the average rainfall for any hurricane that hit the east coast in the year 1286?
How about 1503?
Or 713?
Or 431 BCE?
I could continue, but I think the point is made.

To use these words is erroneous, and misleads those that don't know better. But I guess that's kind of the point, isn't it. For those that don't have the knowledge and background to see those statements for what the truly are, they will blindingly accept it, because it just "sounds impressive. "

Records - in any form - are broken all the time. There will always come a storm, or an athlete, or an auto, or a computer, or a horse, etc., that will break the best of that which has occurred before. But do they really? Do we really know if their hasn't been an athlete - or simply a runner - that could have put Usain Bolt to shame, but was never given a platform to showcase it? Or a human with a 300 IQ but existed before standardized exams?

Yes, we have no evidence of these potential "bests", but as we all know absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.

Well, I don't know why I even bother. Most of the posters in here are acolytes of either the Church of the AGWist, or fundamentalist church of the Flat Earthers. Neither one will listen to the heresy of the Moderate, Scientifically Literate Skeptic. Both are too extreme and fervent in their beliefs to give any credence to such blasphemy.

I'll leave you all to your religious debates.

Last edited by Starman71; 08-29-2017 at 04:21 PM..

Old 08-29-2017, 04:44 PM

10,513 posts, read 5,171,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starman71 View Post
"Without precedent..."

"The greatest amount ever recorded..."

Tell me, could anyone here tell of the average rainfall for any hurricane that hit the east coast in the year 1286?
How about 1503?
Or 713?
Or 431 BCE?
I could continue, but I think the point is made.
Yes, your point is made but I'm afraid it misses the mark. As myself and others have pointed out here in this thread, AGW did not cause this hurricane but it took a small rather average hurricane and turned it into a major flood producer.

It is settled science, beyond debate, that warmer air causes higher rates of evaporation and it increases the capacity of clouds to hold water. Those are two basic facts of science that any middle school kid can demonstrate in science class. We are going to see more and more of this, where otherwise ordinary storms dump record amounts of rain or snow in short time periods. And because AGW has ratcheted up evaporation rates around the world, we're going to see more droughts too.

Old 08-29-2017, 04:55 PM

1,243 posts, read 1,148,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliott_CA View Post
Yes, your point is made but I'm afraid it misses the mark. As myself and others have pointed out here in this thread, AGW did not cause this hurricane but it took a small rather average hurricane and turned it into a major flood producer.

It is settled science, beyond debate, that warmer air causes higher rates of evaporation and it increases the capacity of clouds to hold water. Those are two basic facts of science that any middle school kid can demonstrate in science class. We are going to see more and more of this, where otherwise ordinary storms dump record amounts of rain or snow in short time periods. And because AGW has ratcheted up evaporation rates around the world, we're going to see more droughts too.

You sure are right, that my post missed the mark.

And the mark was your compehension skills.

What you just described is basic science I've taught a million times. Want me to expand on it? I could. I could bore the crap out of you with the intricate details.

But that isn't the point either.

What is the point, you ask?

The use of hyperbole to stir emotions of the less educated. To sway those same people with choice statements that are known to cause reaction. And to use those words that are WRONG.

To use the word "unprecedented" or "ever recorded" is TECHNICALLY correct. But in reality, we have no bloody clue, since the "record" is a small blip in time of the Earth's history. And you know it.

And I know it too, since I teach it.

But keep up with your.... we'll I guess I can call it propaganda, since that surely is the point.

Old 08-29-2017, 05:07 PM

30,459 posts, read 21,298,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AfriqueNY View Post
Coal is not going anywhere nole.

Old 08-29-2017, 05:09 PM

30,459 posts, read 21,298,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
Won't stop a hurricane from whacking land.
Sure won't. What this planet needs is a huge die off of like 6 billion peeps.

Old 08-29-2017, 09:48 PM

24,511 posts, read 33,328,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemint View Post

Arvin, Texas, received 43 inches of rain in just 24 hours (July 25-26, 1979).

In any case, records are going to be broken eventually.

The world record for the most rain in a 24-hour period is 73.62 inches at Cilaos, Reunion Island (March 15-16, 1952). Not sure if that has been broken yet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies