Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2017, 05:10 AM

36,853 posts, read 17,373,891 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TristramShandy View Post
What mattered to me the most was being as close to the Pacific Ocean as possible. I bought a house in Spring Valley and lived in El Cajon. Crime rates don't scare me - - 105 degree temperatures do.
There are no high crime rates in SD county...generally speaking.

I'm not too familiar with the county as I am with LA because I live in LA county.

So you really don't have to pick one over the other down there when it comes to crime vs hot inland temps.

Now if you were up here in LA and told me crime rates don't bother you and lived in the coastal areas of Venice or Long Beach as opposed to Malibu, Santa Monica, El Segundo, Hermosa Beach, Redondo, or Torrance then I'd say you were putting your money where your mouth was.

Putting finances aside nobody has ever picked Long Beach over Malibu. Well, you're saying you would because Malibu is like 90% white.

Old 09-03-2017, 05:43 AM

34,235 posts, read 18,590,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharks With Lasers View Post
So many of you are missing the point.

It's not a problem to have white people, or even mostly white people. It's a problem if you're unable to attract a diverse population. There is a difference.

Suppose you want to start a fantastic company in Maine, and you want to attract top notch talent. Some percentage of that talent is minorities. If those minorities (and likely as a result, some white people as well) aren't willing to move to Maine, your company isn't going to get the talent, and if you multiply that effect by many companies, the economy of the area will suffer.

This is true for any region where large groups of people are unwilling to go.
Total B.S. Why do you NEED a diverse population? You need skilled people, no matter their race, nor skin color.

Old 09-03-2017, 06:08 AM

23,561 posts, read 17,237,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
He could make it a sanctuary state.
Maine is now a sanctuary state for gun owners and outdoorsmen and women. More women into hunting fishing canoeing, etc than anywhere else on the atlantic coast.

Too bad the diversity in the white population is not recognized by liberal democrats.
The culture in Maine is unique and so is a center of diversity among the other states.

Maybe it is the democrat gov candidate that needs to move to a more 'diverse' community outside the state of maine to satisfy his emotional needs. Trenton or Camden, NJ would make him feel at home and think he is still in Maine.

Maine has existed as a state for a very long time. Anyone could cross its borders anytime they want. No signs excluding anyone, no hate mongering. All welcome.

So given the US population in general, composed of all races, ethnicities and fine roads, airports and cars, trains, busses galore, why haven't more of who the gov thinks he needs are not living there?

Apparently they have exerted their free will and live elsewhere?

Old 09-03-2017, 06:10 AM

2,502 posts, read 3,407,050 times
Mark Eves is hardly a "leading voice" for anyone in Maine. Apparently he has a driving urge to get into government and politics. A few years ago, Eves failed to secure the position as head of a school that some of his pals were associated with and tried to sue Governor LePage. Eves' background is in family counseling--not really a qualification to be in the education business. Perhaps his career as a counselor is not successful and he's trying to diversify by getting into the government business? I get the impression he seeks to make Maine incredibly liberal, which is not going to make him a popular or stand-out candidate in a sea of Democratic candidates seeking the governor's seat. Holding only extreme liberal views and claiming Maine's "whiteness" is a serious problem will not get him elected in Maine.

Old 09-03-2017, 10:29 AM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 25 days ago)

29,561 posts, read 16,552,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
I suppose if an issue comes up that you believe involves racism...put it on the table. I'll do likewise. I suspect we will disagree on the overwhelming majority of cases when it comes time to classify.

The MSM/Left have a very low batting average using this technique.
But your opinion of the MSM's/Left's batting average is based on your own opinion of what racism is rather than some standard agreed upon definition.

When you say put it on the table, is that not what the MSM is doing ?

Old 09-03-2017, 12:41 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,373,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
But your opinion of the MSM's/Left's batting average is based on your own opinion of what racism is rather than some standard agreed upon definition.

When you say put it on the table, is that not what the MSM is doing ?
Of course.

They are putting it on the table and it's up to the rest of us to discern what's really racism and what is part of their fake agenda.

The overwhelming majority of their racist claims are not racist.

Then a story like this, which is clearly racism, goes pretty much under the radar.

Old 09-03-2017, 12:53 PM

33,571 posts, read 18,170,292 times
Why is everyone focusing on skin color? We come in different shades, eye color and hair color. I would not like it if we all looked the same. How would we know one another? A bunch of clones. Variety is good.

Old 09-03-2017, 12:59 PM

20,757 posts, read 8,588,145 times
Since Maine is on the Canadian border and Trudeau has complained about too many refugees, I can see this problem resolving itself.

Old 09-05-2017, 06:32 AM

1,940 posts, read 1,029,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
No, it's not. I lived in Maine for a few years. Whiteness is not a problem. It's the majority in Maine, but blaming Maine's problems on white people is about the dumbest thing I've heard this week...almost the dumbest thing.

Since he did not clarify, or the article did not clarify what, exactly he thought the problem was caused by white people, I can only surmise he must mean the economy. Well, that's not the fault of being white, it's the fault of people not wanting to allow much of anything to enter their state because they don't want to change things.

Maine is not business friendly.

It is extremely difficult to find a full time job in Maine, trust me, I KNOW. You have very few places that even offer full time work. A LOT of people do part time jobs and seasonal work. I managed to snag a few full time jobs while there before I said "screw it" and started working for a company in another state but from the comfort of my home in Maine.

Then you have to get past the whole "you're an outsider" mentality that goes on there where you don't get a chance at many jobs because they don't know you, but they do know the other candidate (who is far less experienced than you) because their brother's friend has a guy who comes over every other Thursday to mow the lawn, and he mentioned once that his wife's hairdresser knows this lady who has a dog walker who knows the candidate for the job. Therefore, because you're "from away" it doesn't matter if the other candidate is 7 degrees of Kevin Bacon, you aren't getting the job.

In other words, it's not because they are white, it's because they do not want any kind of change at all. And I'm about 75% on board with that. The other part of me realizes that they have got to start finding a way to bring in some jobs. Otherwise you get bored people doing drugs...and they have a big problem with that up there.

Lack of minorities isn't the problem, drugs, alcohol, crime and education is the problem. After my 14 year stay in Maine compared to NJ, I was astonished by the amount of drug use, infidelity and theft. All by a 96% white society in Maine.

Northern Woods Law on History channel shows the darker side of Maine that contradicts the "Saturday Evening Post" the way life should be, perception of Maine.

I was always drawn to New England especially the rocky coast of Maine. The outdoors lifestyle, the farmhouse architecture, the weather, less congestion and pollution.

How are minorities going to fix the problems they can't fix themselves?

Old 09-05-2017, 06:47 AM

19,642 posts, read 12,235,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpinionExperience View Post
[/b]

Lack of minorities isn't the problem, drugs, alcohol, crime and education is the problem. After my 14 year stay in Maine compared to NJ, I was astonished by the amount of drug use, infidelity and theft. All by a 96% white society in Maine.

Northern Woods Law on History channel shows the darker side of Maine that contradicts the "Saturday Evening Post" the way life should be, perception of Maine.
Kids riding their 4wheelers too fast and shooting turkey out of season? That's pretty much North Woods Law. I was surprised some of the laws are so strict up there now.

I'm not sure why anyone would not expect problems like drug use in poor rural areas. Infidelity? lol, only in Maine I suppose.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies