Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2017, 01:45 PM

491 posts, read 320,151 times

Advertisements

For those of you who are unaware, there is a new film coming out about the Chappaquiddick incident:

‘Chappaquiddick’ Review: A Meticulous and Authentic Docudrama | Variety

Unlike the endless glamorization of the Kennedy family has that gone on for generations, this new film accurately portrays the dark side of Ted Kennedy. As the film reviewer said (in the above article), Kennedy should have gone on trial for involuntary manslaughter. (I also believe that he should have been expelled from the Senate.) It makes me extraordinarily angry how many liberals have idolized Ted Kennedy (and continue to idolize him).

Now, if I may digress for a moment, I know that I have gotten a lot of flack on this very message board for my harsh criticisms of Donald Trump. But I loathe Trump for the very same reason I loathe Ted Kennedy: both men are absolute scum. (And the same can be said about the Clintons as well.) And in fairness to Trump, nothing he has been accused of is as bad as what happened at Chappaquiddick. This may be hard for partisans on both sides to understand, but we all have a moral obligation to oppose unethical politicians.

Anyway, that's my two cents on this whole matter. I'm certainly not trying to make myself into some paragon of morality (as I am a flawed individual), but I do think that ethical behavior is the most important quality to look for in a public official.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2017, 09:09 PM

34,077 posts, read 17,119,181 times
looks interesting.

Must wear life jacket to watch.

Old 09-19-2017, 10:47 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,368,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dole-McCain Republican View Post
For those of you who are unaware, there is a new film coming out about the Chappaquiddick incident:

‘Chappaquiddick’ Review: A Meticulous and Authentic Docudrama | Variety

Unlike the endless glamorization of the Kennedy family has that gone on for generations, this new film accurately portrays the dark side of Ted Kennedy. As the film reviewer said (in the above article), Kennedy should have gone on trial for involuntary manslaughter. (I also believe that he should have been expelled from the Senate.) It makes me extraordinarily angry how many liberals have idolized Ted Kennedy (and continue to idolize him).

Now, if I may digress for a moment, I know that I have gotten a lot of flack on this very message board for my harsh criticisms of Donald Trump. But I loathe Trump for the very same reason I loathe Ted Kennedy: both men are absolute scum. (And the same can be said about the Clintons as well.) And in fairness to Trump, nothing he has been accused of is as bad as what happened at Chappaquiddick. This may be hard for partisans on both sides to understand, but we all have a moral obligation to oppose unethical politicians.

Anyway, that's my two cents on this whole matter. I'm certainly not trying to make myself into some paragon of morality (as I am a flawed individual), but I do think that ethical behavior is the most important quality to look for in a public official.
Comeon. The Kennedy's were all womanizers. Well known and the Ted affair was simply another example though a very sad one. Ted killed the lady by driving drunk or at least impaired. And there is no evidence he could have done anything that would have reversed the outcome. And sad.

Why bring it up again? Cost him any chance of being President and colored his life badly for history.

You folk want to exhume the body and tar and feather it or something?

Old 09-19-2017, 10:47 PM

13,778 posts, read 9,671,694 times
Never waste your time dumping on a dead man.

Old 09-20-2017, 12:52 AM

29,219 posts, read 22,393,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mohawkx View Post
Never waste your time dumping on a dead man.
Just what I was thinking. All the participants of the incident are either dead and gone, or are too old to do anything now, so what's the point?

It's hard to punish a dead man. And all hopes for a Kennedy White House dynasty ended forever when young miss Kopernik drowned. The most Teddy could have been charged with is second-degree manslaughter, and given the circumstances, if he had been charged, he probably would have been given nothing but a suspended sentence and a year's probation.

I'm sure he would have preferred that to what he lost for good.

If not for Chappaquidick, he could have become President; he was the only Democrat who could have taken it from Reagan in 1984.

Old 09-20-2017, 04:45 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,045,420 times
For those who read, I recommend Senatorial Privilege: The Chappaquiddick Cover-Up by Leo Damore

https://www.amazon.com/Senatorial-Pr.../dp/0895265648

It was written in 1988 but you can still get your hands on it. I still have mine from the 1980s.

Old 09-20-2017, 05:35 AM

5,112 posts, read 2,056,430 times
I wonder if the satiric magazines like Mad, Cracked, National Lampoon would had done this kind of satiric parody ad about the Chappaquiddick incident today who also infuriated VW?

Old 09-20-2017, 05:42 AM

59,185 posts, read 27,371,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
Comeon. The Kennedy's were all womanizers. Well known and the Ted affair was simply another example though a very sad one. Ted killed the lady by driving drunk or at least impaired. And there is no evidence he could have done anything that would have reversed the outcome. And sad.

Why bring it up again? Cost him any chance of being President and colored his life badly for history.

You folk want to exhume the body and tar and feather it or something?
"here is no evidence he could have done anything that would have reversed the outcome"

Your dem bias is VERY showing.

There is PLENTY of evidence.

Just simple questions for you:

Why did ted go BACK to the party INSTEAD of reporting to the police?

WHY did Ted wait until the NEXT morning to report to the police?

WHY does the report show that Mary Jo was STILL alive WHEN Ted went back to the PARTY?

There are are more.

Old 09-20-2017, 05:47 AM

45,247 posts, read 26,482,257 times
Too bad the movie wasn't made while he was alive and ailing so as to add to his own suffering. Kennedy should have been harrased to his grave.

Old 09-20-2017, 06:43 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,565,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
Just what I was thinking. All the participants of the incident are either dead and gone, or are too old to do anything now, so what's the point?
It's the same point that the right wing is always pounding on.

"Feed the base more anger and fear!"

"Your neighbors are your enemy!"

"Hate them!"

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies