Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2017, 08:08 PM

23,795 posts, read 13,288,500 times

Advertisements

Lifetime movie?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2017, 08:36 PM

36,754 posts, read 14,851,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
Comeon. The Kennedy's were all womanizers. Well known and the Ted affair was simply another example though a very sad one. Ted killed the lady by driving drunk or at least impaired. And there is no evidence he could have done anything that would have reversed the outcome. And sad.

Why bring it up again? Cost him any chance of being President and colored his life badly for history.

You folk want to exhume the body and tar and feather it or something?

Ted killed the lady by driving drunk or impaired? Those of us who remember it know what happened. And this movie will be no big revelation, as there have been many books about it.

While Ted Kennedy was rolling around on the grass, wailing What am I gonna do?10 feet from the car, with an attorney-relative and other clan members he called instead of the police, MJK was drowning in the upside-down, submerged car beside them.

When her body was pulled from the car THE NEXT DAY, she was in full rigor mortis, still in a seated position. According to the ME, her hands had to be pried from the car seat, and her head and neck were far extended above her to reach a small air pocket at the top (actually, the floor) of the car. Yes, while she was struggling to breathe, he was worried about his career.

Good try with the sugar-coating, though. Kennedyphiles have been doing that since 1969.

Old 09-20-2017, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
For those who read, I recommend Senatorial Privilege: The Chappaquiddick Cover-Up by Leo Damore

https://www.amazon.com/Senatorial-Pr.../dp/0895265648

It was written in 1988 but you can still get your hands on it. I still have mine from the 1980s.

Sadly, Damore committed suicide, but that's one of the books I read about Chappaquiddick, and I still have it, too; it was excellent.

Old 09-20-2017, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMESMH View Post
Those brothers, well at least JFK and obviously Ted, didn't think being sober was a prerequisite for driving.

My grandfather was a young officer in the Navy during WW I. It didn't happen in battle, but the small vessel he was attached to sank. He was lucky to have survived. Because of that experience, after the war, he wanted to stay away from boats. He was also afraid to fly, so he drove and took trains everywhere. For pleasure, he and my grandmother drove all over the U.S., Mexico, and Canada. My grandfather was also an 'everything in moderation' kind of guy (except when it came to driving ). He would get one drink with a lot of tonic, and then nurse that drink all night. Before my parents met, my mother went on some of their trips with them. Their experiences inspired me to do the same....and I have, except I haven't done much driving in Mexico, and I haven't driven to Alaska. My grandfather is probably the only person I've ever known whose love of driving exceeds my own. He stopped driving when I was in my early 20s. We lived in the same town while I was growing up (thanks to his generosity), and almost every time I can recall being in a car with my grandfather, he was the one who was driving. My grandfather was a friend of both Joe Sr. and JFK. He went on some vacations (with my grandmother's 'blessing') with a small group of men (small enough for all of them to fit in one large sedan when they went out)...the same men each time, and one of the men was JFK. JFK was younger than the other men, and was the only one who wasn't married (my grandfather was less than a decade younger than Joe Sr.). Joe Sr. was not part of the group on these trips.

At one point when I was a kid (probably at some point during the Johnson Administration or the Nixon Administration), I asked my grandfather what had been the scariest moment of his life. I absolutely expected him to say that it was when his small vessel sank in WW I. He didn't. He said a number of times were probably equally scary, and that it was the same scenario each time. They were all car trips, all nights out while on vacation, all on the trips with the small group of men that I mentioned in the previous paragraph, and that JFK was always the one who was driving....that he wasn't sober while behind the wheel during any of these nights out...and that he was crazy when it came to driving.

My grandfather was also afraid of chairlifts, but my grandmother loved them. Occasionally, during their warm weather travels, they would visit an area where the chairlifts at a ski area would operate during non winter months. My grandmother would ride the chairlift, and my grandfather would wait for her at the bottom. Several of the times my grandmother did this, the resort had a set up where the chairlift riders could get their pictures taken on the chairlift in the off season setting. Someone in my family has these pictures of my grandmother.

It is my understanding that my grandfather only got on a boat/vessel/some sort of watercraft twice after WW I.....taking a ferry to Martha's Vineyard.....and then the ferry to Chappaquiddick...in the 1970s. He just HAD to see where Ted veered off the bridge and 'into the drink' .

Actually, driving appears to be a challenge for many Kennedys--and not just the men.

Old 09-20-2017, 09:00 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,376,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post
Ted killed the lady by driving drunk or impaired? Those of us who remember it know what happened. And this movie will be no big revelation, as there have been many books about it.

While Ted Kennedy was rolling around on the grass, wailing What am I gonna do?10 feet from the car, with an attorney-relative and other clan members he called instead of the police, MJK was drowning in the upside-down, submerged car beside them.

When her body was pulled from the car THE NEXT DAY, she was in full rigor mortis, still in a seated position. According to the ME, her hands had to be pried from the car seat, and her head and neck were far extended above her to reach a small air pocket at the top (actually, the floor) of the car. Yes, while she was struggling to breathe, he was worried about his career.

Good try with the sugar-coating, though. Kennedyphiles have been doing that since 1969.
Sorry? You understand what you just wrote is quite impossible. One cannot be seated in a car with head and neck extended to reach the floor. Bodies do not work that way.

And I am unaware that any Kennedy party was at the site at any time in close proximity to the accident.

This was all beaten to death in the various inquiries and investigations. There are even theories that Ted was not in the car when it went off the dock. Not supported by Kennedy or any of his partisans but still put forth.

Old 03-12-2018, 04:57 PM

3 posts, read 950 times
Default Kennedy was neither the driver nor in the car

I argue that Kennedy was not in the car! He was talked into being the driver for political reasons.
https://youtu.be/Y8qypbj8W1I

Old 03-26-2018, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
"here is no evidence he could have done anything that would have reversed the outcome"

Your dem bias is VERY showing.

There is PLENTY of evidence.

Just simple questions for you:

Why did ted go BACK to the party INSTEAD of reporting to the police?

WHY did Ted wait until the NEXT morning to report to the police?

WHY does the report show that Mary Jo was STILL alive WHEN Ted went back to the PARTY?

There are are more.

Yes, there are more. From previews running now, it appears they might be addressing those things. It's not as if plenty hasn't been written about this, though (then there are those of us who remember it), so I can't see bringing this up again.

And let's be clear. This was no accident by a careless 16-year-old who ran a stop sign. This was an adult male who sat around calling the wrong people and pondering his political career while a young woman was drowning a few feet away. And it killed his presidential aspirations.

I did see a quick shot of what appears to be the body being recovered from the water. If so, they're wrong right off the bat. MJK's body wasn't stretched out as if she were sleeping. She was in full rigor mortis, in a seated position, with her neck stretched back, presumably to catch the last of the air pocket which formed in the tire well of the upside-down car.

Old 03-26-2018, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
Sorry? You understand what you just wrote is quite impossible. One cannot be seated in a car with head and neck extended to reach the floor. Bodies do not work that way.

And I am unaware that any Kennedy party was at the site at any time in close proximity to the accident.

This was all beaten to death in the various inquiries and investigations. There are even theories that Ted was not in the car when it went off the dock. Not supported by Kennedy or any of his partisans but still put forth.

Clearly, you haven't read ANY of the MANY accounts of this accident, which include M.E. observations, notes, and diagrams. Argue with THEM, not me. Struggling to breathe in a submerged car, and disoriented because it's on its roof, isn't as neat and pretty a sight as the naive might want to imagine.

Old 03-26-2018, 04:57 PM

16,956 posts, read 16,776,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
Just what I was thinking. All the participants of the incident are either dead and gone, or are too old to do anything now, so what's the point?

It's hard to punish a dead man. And all hopes for a Kennedy White House dynasty ended forever when young miss Kopernik drowned. The most Teddy could have been charged with is second-degree manslaughter, and given the circumstances, if he had been charged, he probably would have been given nothing but a suspended sentence and a year's probation.

I'm sure he would have preferred that to what he lost for good.

If not for Chappaquidick, he could have become President; he was the only Democrat who could have taken it from Reagan in 1984.
Or a parking ticket...

Old 03-26-2018, 05:17 PM

8,793 posts, read 8,177,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dole-McCain Republican View Post
For those of you who are unaware, there is a new film coming out about the Chappaquiddick incident:

‘Chappaquiddick’ Review: A Meticulous and Authentic Docudrama | Variety

Unlike the endless glamorization of the Kennedy family has that gone on for generations, this new film accurately portrays the dark side of Ted Kennedy. As the film reviewer said (in the above article), Kennedy should have gone on trial for involuntary manslaughter. (I also believe that he should have been expelled from the Senate.) It makes me extraordinarily angry how many liberals have idolized Ted Kennedy (and continue to idolize him).

Now, if I may digress for a moment, I know that I have gotten a lot of flack on this very message board for my harsh criticisms of Donald Trump. But I loathe Trump for the very same reason I loathe Ted Kennedy: both men are absolute scum. (And the same can be said about the Clintons as well.) And in fairness to Trump, nothing he has been accused of is as bad as what happened at Chappaquiddick. This may be hard for partisans on both sides to understand, but we all have a moral obligation to oppose unethical politicians.

Anyway, that's my two cents on this whole matter. I'm certainly not trying to make myself into some paragon of morality (as I am a flawed individual), but I do think that ethical behavior is the most important quality to look for in a public official.
When I first saw this I was wondering "who are they trying to smear?" This has been a story in the press for years. They can know the facts of the accident, but there is no way they will know any details of what any one Kennedy said to any other. So, other than trying to indite the entire Democratic party, what is the point.

Also, it's good to see that a Dole-McCain Republican wouldn't debase himself by voting for Trump. Good for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies