Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2017, 08:39 AM

2,951 posts, read 2,525,761 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Too bad the movie wasn't made while he was alive and ailing so as to add to his own suffering. Kennedy should have been harrased to his grave.
Some of us understand empathy. It should be shown especially at the end stages of life.

Do you realize what you wish for others comes back to you? Yikes, good luck with that one!

No wonder I'm an independent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2017, 08:41 AM

37,971 posts, read 17,913,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foundapeanut View Post
Some of us understand empathy. It should be shown especially at the end stages of life.

Do you realize what you wish for others comes back to you? Yikes, good luck with that one!

I have empathy for the people he harmed. Him, not so much

Old 09-20-2017, 09:04 AM

45,261 posts, read 26,518,839 times
Quote:

If I murder someone, I wont expect empathy

Old 09-20-2017, 09:36 AM

33,315 posts, read 12,602,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
Comeon. The Kennedy's were all womanizers. Well known and the Ted affair was simply another example though a very sad one. Ted killed the lady by driving drunk or at least impaired. And there is no evidence he could have done anything that would have reversed the outcome. And sad.
Those brothers, well at least JFK and obviously Ted, didn't think being sober was a prerequisite for driving.

My grandfather was a young officer in the Navy during WW I. It didn't happen in battle, but the small vessel he was attached to sank. He was lucky to have survived. Because of that experience, after the war, he wanted to stay away from boats. He was also afraid to fly, so he drove and took trains everywhere. For pleasure, he and my grandmother drove all over the U.S., Mexico, and Canada. My grandfather was also an 'everything in moderation' kind of guy (except when it came to driving ). He would get one drink with a lot of tonic, and then nurse that drink all night. Before my parents met, my mother went on some of their trips with them. Their experiences inspired me to do the same....and I have, except I haven't done much driving in Mexico, and I haven't driven to Alaska. My grandfather is probably the only person I've ever known whose love of driving exceeds my own. He stopped driving when I was in my early 20s. We lived in the same town while I was growing up (thanks to his generosity), and almost every time I can recall being in a car with my grandfather, he was the one who was driving. My grandfather was a friend of both Joe Sr. and JFK. He went on some vacations (with my grandmother's 'blessing') with a small group of men (small enough for all of them to fit in one large sedan when they went out)...the same men each time, and one of the men was JFK. JFK was younger than the other men, and was the only one who wasn't married (my grandfather was less than a decade younger than Joe Sr.). Joe Sr. was not part of the group on these trips.

At one point when I was a kid (probably at some point during the Johnson Administration or the Nixon Administration), I asked my grandfather what had been the scariest moment of his life. I absolutely expected him to say that it was when his small vessel sank in WW I. He didn't. He said a number of times were probably equally scary, and that it was the same scenario each time. They were all car trips, all nights out while on vacation, all on the trips with the small group of men that I mentioned in the previous paragraph, and that JFK was always the one who was driving....that he wasn't sober while behind the wheel during any of these nights out...and that he was crazy when it came to driving.

My grandfather was also afraid of chairlifts, but my grandmother loved them. Occasionally, during their warm weather travels, they would visit an area where the chairlifts at a ski area would operate during non winter months. My grandmother would ride the chairlift, and my grandfather would wait for her at the bottom. Several of the times my grandmother did this, the resort had a set up where the chairlift riders could get their pictures taken on the chairlift in the off season setting. Someone in my family has these pictures of my grandmother.

It is my understanding that my grandfather only got on a boat/vessel/some sort of watercraft twice after WW I.....taking a ferry to Martha's Vineyard.....and then the ferry to Chappaquiddick...in the 1970s. He just HAD to see where Ted veered off the bridge and 'into the drink' .

Old 09-20-2017, 09:49 AM

13,898 posts, read 6,462,671 times
Quote:

What???? Who cares if someone is dying or not, the truth is still the truth and you don't get a pass on your crimes because you are about to die.

Old 09-20-2017, 11:07 AM

2,951 posts, read 2,525,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
I have empathy for the people he harmed. Him, not so much
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
If I murder someone, I wont expect empathy
Go back and read what was originally wrote.

Its there in black and white wishing him more pain and suffering when he's dying.

You don't even have to tell me which party you stand behind. Its obvious.

Old 09-20-2017, 11:13 AM

37,971 posts, read 17,913,223 times
Quote:
No need for me too.

Quote:
Its there in black and white wishing him more pain and suffering when he's dying.
I responded to the post I responded to. Deal with it.

Quote:
No it's not. Not that you care about the truth. Nothing to do with party, everything to do with the actions of the individual.
Look before you leap next time.

Old 09-20-2017, 11:13 AM

13,898 posts, read 6,462,671 times
Quote:

He deserved it and more.

Old 09-20-2017, 07:48 PM

34,103 posts, read 17,167,846 times
This is all water under the Bridge. (sar)

Old 09-20-2017, 08:02 PM

38,650 posts, read 26,428,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dole-McCain Republican View Post
For those of you who are unaware, there is a new film coming out about the Chappaquiddick incident:

‘Chappaquiddick’ Review: A Meticulous and Authentic Docudrama | Variety

Unlike the endless glamorization of the Kennedy family has that gone on for generations, this new film accurately portrays the dark side of Ted Kennedy. As the film reviewer said (in the above article), Kennedy should have gone on trial for involuntary manslaughter. (I also believe that he should have been expelled from the Senate.) It makes me extraordinarily angry how many liberals have idolized Ted Kennedy (and continue to idolize him).

Now, if I may digress for a moment, I know that I have gotten a lot of flack on this very message board for my harsh criticisms of Donald Trump. But I loathe Trump for the very same reason I loathe Ted Kennedy: both men are absolute scum. (And the same can be said about the Clintons as well.) And in fairness to Trump, nothing he has been accused of is as bad as what happened at Chappaquiddick. This may be hard for partisans on both sides to understand, but we all have a moral obligation to oppose unethical politicians.

Anyway, that's my two cents on this whole matter. I'm certainly not trying to make myself into some paragon of morality (as I am a flawed individual), but I do think that ethical behavior is the most important quality to look for in a public official.

So, what's the beef with Trump?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies