Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2017, 09:55 AM

8,312 posts, read 3,931,811 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
No, but all those who are not hopeless ideologues recognize it IS the fault of and will blame the last several administrations for refusing to properly deal with the issue be it due to poor advise,greed,political fear,ignorance or plain stupidity and instead just kick the can down the road for the "next guy".

We're now at the end of that road that was as sure to come as the sun rises in the morning...
The reality is that no Administration had any ability to curb North Korea. That is difficult for people to accept, that there IS no "solution" to this problem. Nukes can and will proliferate. Nukes can and will end up being in the hands of despots like Kim Jong Un. Of course having someone like Trump, who may goad Kim into doing something stupid is another thing entirely, a whole new risk that we did not have before. This is going to end up in war, there is no getting around it. Trump is salivating at the chance to pull us in; he's an old fool that could not care less about the consequences.

Old 09-26-2017, 10:00 AM

7,242 posts, read 4,555,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainrose View Post
It appears from what I've been reading that Kim is planning on an EMP attack, and that only takes one big missle up high enough to accomplish wiping out our electric grid. It also appears unlikely that we have a strong chance of shooting down the missle unless we are very close to it. Is this correct?
No. A few months ago I got freaked out and did the research. And I am hacked off that some of these scary stories are now things Kim can play with to scare us.

- It has been tested out and EMP would likely not destroy cars. (though getting fuel might be an issue)
- it has not been determined yet if Trains would be hurt. And it is suspected no.
- It is excessively hard to hit the right spot. Depending even on things like weather patterns it could miss. And it has to be just right to get whole of the us. If he was wrong he could take out other countries as well. The USA wanted to use this in the Gulf War and permission wasn't given.
- The military has been "hardened" but, even if were not.. USA nuke Subs are all over the planet. So NK would be wiped off the map immediately.
- The constant refrain is that we couldn't be back up and running for 1 year plus. Yes in a vacuum. But the USA being out of commission would be a disaster for the rest of the world. I have no doubt other countries would work hard to help us get up and running asap.

My advice.. have a 6 month supply ready to go and basic protection.

Do I think that everyone concerned about this should get on the phone to their rep an demand that they harden the grid? Yes I do. I wonder sometimes if that is part of the calculation on this. Get real people calling their elected officials and they will finally do what has been necessary for years.

Old 09-26-2017, 10:12 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,554,711 times
Default Will Republicans stop Trump before he and Kim Jong Un start a nuclear war?

Please...

Neither tRump nor Kim will do anything but exchange childish insults as a mildly entertaining distraction to hurricane clean up.

NK is 100% supported and controlled by Russia and China, so Kim will only go as far as they allow. Right now he's got some slack in his leash because both Putin and Xi recognize what a weakling tRump is and they're taking advantage of the opportunity to create chaos in SK, Japan and the USA.

In the case of tRump, he also has deep ties in both China and Russia and he'll certainly do nothing to cross either Putin or Xi.

Enjoy the show.

Old 09-26-2017, 10:19 AM

34,300 posts, read 15,664,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
Liberal opinions like this just show that libs simply don't get it .

According to liberal logic . North Korea wants to nuke us so Trump should be removed from office?

---
Dear Republicans: It’s time for you to expel President Trump from the White House.

Your party loyalty, if unchecked, could mean the United States finds itself in another war. But this time, we could suffer irreparable harm in the form of a nuclear attack on our soil. (“Aides warned Trump not to attack North Korea's leader personally before his fiery U.N. address,” Sept. 22)

What will you say to your spouses, children and friends when they ask you why you did not attempt to stop Trump? How will you live with yourselves, knowing that you never gave adequate consideration to the well-being of the country and just thought about getting reelected?

Republicans, now is the time to stand your ground against Trump. Protect our country by starting the process to remove Trump from office (and really, “protect” is the right word this time).

Will Republicans stop Trump before he and Kim Jong Un start a nuclear war? - LA Times

Its funny.
They claim the Republicans can't govern lead or get anything done. Yet they call on them and want to employ them to do something they apparently can't do. What it really shows is how worthless congress is. Why would anyone expect solutions from the political playpen of crying babies.

Old 09-26-2017, 10:26 AM

18,741 posts, read 7,620,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyMac18 View Post
Is it a coincidence that with Trump at the helm we are as close to war with NK as we have been since the Korean War?
By that measure, FDR was responsible for WWII.

Old 09-26-2017, 10:28 AM

18,741 posts, read 7,620,616 times
Will Republicans stop Trump before he and Kim Jong Un start a nuclear war?

(patiently)

Trump isn't the one who needs to be stopped. Kim Jong Un is.

Old 09-26-2017, 10:35 AM

2,668 posts, read 4,499,597 times
Will Republicans stop Trump before he and Kim Jong Un start a nuclear war?

Nobody else did anything about it previously for decades (both R and D) and it has now fallen in his lap. Don't think Trump is the one suddenly instigating this guy to jump off the edge, it has been coming for awhile and now that NK feels they have the type of weapons to begin declaring and demanding things they have become a threat that we can no longer ignore. I don't think it would matter who was in the white house right now we would be in the same situation. NK would still be doing tests while our leadership either puts out talking points about diplomacy, tweets, UN meetings, sanctions, etc.

I'll keep my eye on the situation but until I hear of battle groups being shifted I won't pay much notice.

Old 09-26-2017, 10:37 AM

16,560 posts, read 10,643,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachie123 View Post
just a totally useless comment here, but we have a huge world map on the wall where my son does his homework. i just looked at it and, well, north korea is so small. i mean, i knew that, but just looking at it tonight and seeing how kju acts like such a tough guy, i wonder if maybe he has a little bit of that short man syndrome, napolean complex because of his own stature and also the size of his country. i don't know...just thinking out loud, so to speak.
As an FYI, North Korea is roughly the size of Mississippi. South Korea is roughly the size of Indiana. Geographically speaking, neither of the Koreas is all that large.

Old 09-26-2017, 10:45 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,612,875 times
There is more going on here than I think we realize, if kim was truly that big of a problem, the US would have sent in a team to take him out long ago, I have a sneaky feeling this is about NKs central bank, a certain entity wants control of it, and using the US military to achieve that.

Old 09-26-2017, 10:48 AM

25,303 posts, read 21,472,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerGeek40 View Post
Pelosi has no idea about anything. She's a career politician, nothing more, nothing less.
She has no military training and as far as I know, she's never met Kim.
She knows nothing.
Carry on.
True .

Dennis Rodman would probably be more qualified on this one .
He's actually met Kim many times in NoKo.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies