Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-25-2017, 07:03 AM

30,419 posts, read 20,318,915 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
So I guess if a Burger King employee was to wear a "Meat is murder" shirt at work, your belief is that if Burger King fired him it would violate the First and be part of a police state.

The first thing you need to wrap your head around is the difference between the state and private employers.

Once you can finally grasp that important detail, you might not make such ignorant posts.
Liberals aren't capable of such profound thought.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2017, 07:05 AM

15,866 posts, read 21,452,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
I want the people in the stands to throw tomatoes at them and Dixie Chick them. I want them to be drafted...and not by the NFL.
Sounds like some therapy might be in order. I'm sorry about whatever in your life makes you so violently angry toward those peacefully and silently demonstrating what they believe.

Old 09-25-2017, 07:08 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,631,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlongTheI-5 View Post
Do you see Laura C's post about how they should be drafted? The cult 45 wants an authoritarian police state. They hate the first amendment... When used by black people.
So, you're going with an example.

Why do black people want to kill cops?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=dj4ARsxrZh8

Old 09-25-2017, 07:08 AM

1,273 posts, read 1,640,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
I want the people in the stands to throw tomatoes at them and Dixie Chick them. I want them to be drafted...and not by the NFL.
But but bone spurs!

Old 09-25-2017, 07:09 AM

3,212 posts, read 1,653,641 times
Quote:
So I guess if a Burger King employee was to wear a "Meat is murder" shirt at work, your belief is that if Burger King fired him it would violate the First and be part of a police state.

The first thing you need to wrap your head around is the difference between the state and private employers.

Once you can finally grasp that important detail, you might not make such ignorant posts.
If Burger King, the NFL or whatever decides to fire the employees, so be it. The fact is, the NFL sided with the employees.

Old 09-25-2017, 07:10 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,074,696 times
Nobody is being forced to do anything. If you want to criticize the President because he offered his opinion on the actions of the players and the NFL then you can lump every single politician into the same boat.

Let's reverse the roles here for a second. Suppose the NFL came down hard on Kapernick which they would have every right to do and Obama criticized them for it.

Using your arguments Obama should not be doing this.

If you support freedom of speech you have to support it across the board, there is no in between where you get to choose what is acceptable.

20,871 posts, read 9,550,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBob96 View Post
... But what you are saying is that they should be free from any consequences from expressing themselves.
On the contrary, right here I did say precisely that.

1,978 posts, read 1,553,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient View Post
Because that's exactly what conservatives seem to want by cheering the recent involvement of the President in this whole NFL kerfuffle. Look, I don't personally support what football players are doing, and I would/do stand for our anthem, but that's not the point here

In case you don't understand how First Amendment works, here's a primer for you: the government shall conduct no policy that obstructs exercise of religion, free speech, or right to assembly..

That means that what happens with sports players on the NFL is to play out as a PRIVATE matter.. Sports players are free to stand out sit out the anthem, NFL is free to fire or keep them, and you the viewing public are free to support or judge / boycott the whole thing. May the strongest force win.

But when you have the leader of our nation butting in, he isn't just speaking as a private citizen; he is inevitably speaking with the weight of the public office he represents. His words can and will pressure people to conform in certain ways, which ends up as de facto government policy that can ultimately control how you behave.

So go ahead, Trumpers, and keep supporting the blurring the line between private expression and public censure; you'll end up with this, where you have to show up and "enthusiastically" participate or else you lose your job, your kids don't get higher education, or your family members even disappear in prison. Believe me, I know. I came from such a country.

Surprised (or maybe not) that you supposed freedom-loving cons aren't smart enough to put this together. Just because Trump is expressing an opinion you like doesn't mean it isn't dangerous precedent.
With all due respect, which is zero by the way, your post is ignorant in so many ways that it is impossible to cover all of them.
But, here is the bottom line. These foolball players have a contract. They are employees, they have agreed to abide by the rules of conduct. If we, at our workplaces, acted like these idiots, we would be fired in short order. Take a look.
NFL RULES!! The specific rule pertaining to the national anthem is found on pages A62-63 of the league rulebook. It states:

“The National Anthem must be played prior to every NFL game, and all players must be on the sideline for the National Anthem.

“During the National Anthem, players on the field and bench area should stand at attention, face the flag, hold helmets in their left hand, and refrain from talking. The home team should ensure that the American flag is in good condition. It should be pointed out to players and coaches that we continue to be judged by the public in this area of respect for the flag and our country. Failure to be on the field by the start of the National Anthem may result in discipline, such as fines, suspensions, and/or the forfeiture of draft choice(s) for violations of the above, including first offenses.”
Now stop whining and get back to playing your stupid, brain scrambling games!

Old 09-25-2017, 07:11 AM

Quote:
So, you're going with an example.

Why do black people want to kill cops?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=dj4ARsxrZh8
Because many cops act upon white supremacist views that you cherish.

Old 09-25-2017, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chronic65 View Post
With all due respect, which is zero by the way, your post is ignorant in so many ways that it is impossible to cover all of them.
But, here is the bottom line. These foolball players have a contract. They are employees, they have agreed to abide by the rules of conduct. If we, at our workplaces, acted like these idiots, we would be fired in short order. Take a look.
NFL RULES!! The specific rule pertaining to the national anthem is found on pages A62-63 of the league rulebook. It states:

“The National Anthem must be played prior to every NFL game, and all players must be on the sideline for the National Anthem.

“During the National Anthem, players on the field and bench area should stand at attention, face the flag, hold helmets in their left hand, and refrain from talking. The home team should ensure that the American flag is in good condition. It should be pointed out to players and coaches that we continue to be judged by the public in this area of respect for the flag and our country. Failure to be on the field by the start of the National Anthem may result in discipline, such as fines, suspensions, and/or the forfeiture of draft choice(s) for violations of the above, including first offenses.”
Now stop whining and get back to playing your stupid, brain scrambling games!
So sue them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies