Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2017, 05:34 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,426,685 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
Y'all have never actually listened to rap, have you?

Rap is a diverse genre.
It is diverse yet all of it is bad.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2017, 05:38 PM

27,307 posts, read 16,270,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hifijohn View Post
rap is music???
Rap is crap with the "c" removed.

Old 09-26-2017, 05:45 PM

6,491 posts, read 4,103,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
Rap is crap with the "c" removed.
Why rap is diverse it’s one of those things you can’t universally hate like Rock. Rap is nothing like Country (which has no such variety) and I love country. In fact anyone who is a a fan of how diverse rock music is and actually gave rap a listen will realize that you can find anything and everything in rap, literally anything someone is doing it somewhere because what sort of defines rap is the fact that it is so diverse so you can have people who spit something so lyrical you need to sit down and analyze bar after bar to someone who is so simple an eight year old child can rewrite it (Every Lil Pump song ever made). The two biggest songs ever are both rap songs. I am open to all music genres personally except for most screamo/heavy metal or its variants I really can’t stand songs like that.
Gangnam style- which raps in Korean
Despacito- which raps in Spanish

Old 09-26-2017, 05:57 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,942,494 times
To be fair: Charlie Daniel's "Devil down in Georgia" IS "rap".

Old 09-26-2017, 06:08 PM

1,235 posts, read 735,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clintone View Post
Sociopath already pretty much, in a cultural sense of the word, means "I'm cool and I'm such a baddass I don't care about nothin'" rather than the more accurate basic definition of just being an ass and continuing to be an ass all through your life.

People love to pretend to be sociopaths, and a lot of people don't know what sociopaths actually are so they just call themselves sociopaths when what they really mean is "emo." I could definitely imagine something similar happening to the word "psychopath."

That makes me very curious about just how they figured out the people in question's psychopathy "score." I could easily imagine a bunch of attention seekers who fantasize about being psychic vampires choosing the answers they think make them sound the most like psychopaths on any tests given, just because they imagine themselves to be psychopaths.

Also, think these two paragraphs are important, from the link:

The larger study will now investigate whether the link between musical tastes and psychopathy is real, and if it is, whether groups of songs can predict potential psychopaths. That could lead to some controversial applications, Wallisch said. If the team can identify a group of 30 songs, for example, that together prove good at predicting psychopaths, then playlists from online music providers could be used to identify them.

“The beauty of this idea is you can use it as a screening test without consent, cooperation or maybe even the knowledge of the people involved,†Wallisch said. “The ethics of this are very hairy, but so is having a psychopath as a boss, and so is having a psychopath in any position of power.†Fortunately for ethicists, the possibility is some way off yet. “This work is very preliminary,†Wallisch added. “This is not the end of an investigation, it is the very beginning.â€

So this is is a very early, and small study. It may turn out to be wrong over the long run.
None of this makes any sense with regards to this discussion. Psychopathology has nothing to do with Sociopaths. They are different. You should know that.

Old 09-26-2017, 06:11 PM

44,258 posts, read 64,509,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
So psychopaths are like the rest of the majority of the world and enjoy rap music...yeah that's really insightful lol.
Can't stand that garbage.

Old 09-26-2017, 06:16 PM

19,761 posts, read 12,326,266 times
Quote:
"More than three million people have responded so far, and while online surveys have serious weaknesses, the results so far suggest psychopaths favour rap music over classical and jazz. They also seem more likely to read the Financial Times than other newspapers. "
Something about that just makes me laugh - rappin' psycho reading the Financial Times.

Old 09-26-2017, 06:19 PM

7,934 posts, read 8,614,559 times
Hip hop has been the preferred title of this genre of music for decades now. I don't think anybody has referred to it as "rap" music since the 1980's.

Old 09-26-2017, 06:38 PM

5,671 posts, read 4,366,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyGoldenLife View Post
None of this makes any sense with regards to this discussion. Psychopathology has nothing to do with Sociopaths. They are different. You should know that.
I do know that sociopaths and psychopaths are different. I didn't intend to give the impression I believed they were the same thing.

I wouldn't say that sociopaths and psychopaths have nothing to do with each other though. I am under the impression that psychopaths are essentially more destructive versions of sociopaths:

https://www.healthyplace.com/persona...he-difference/

My point though, was that sociopathy is cool because people associate it with being a badass who doesn't care about anything, so people will pretend to be sociopaths, and I could very easily imagine people pretending to be psychopaths for the same reason, and so I was suggesting a possible weakness in the study stemming from that.

Old 09-26-2017, 06:54 PM

5,671 posts, read 4,366,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
Something about that just makes me laugh - rappin' psycho reading the Financial Times.
Kevin Dutton, a psychologist at Oxford, and the author of The Wisdom of Psychopaths, has been gathering data on musical tastes and other preferences for a psychopath study with Channel 4. More than three million people have responded so far, and while online surveys have serious weaknesses, the results so far suggest psychopaths favour rap music over classical and jazz. They also seem more likely to read the Financial Times than other newspapers.
https://www.theguardian.com/science/...ic-study-shows

Yeah, I don't know how they did the primary study the article is about of the 200 people...but I'm guessing those online studies of the three million plus participants were primarily done by fairly normal emo twelve year olds, or if you had to tell your age, it's going to be mostly non-psychopath, emo 20-30 year olds who are the adult "psychopaths."

I don't know why a psychopath would want to contribute to society in the form of a survey. I'm think the participants were 0% actual psychopaths, 80% emo 12 year olds, and 20% emo 20 something year olds who think they're psychopaths because they didn't cry after watching the sad movie scene with Bambi's mother.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies