Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2017, 12:16 PM

41,110 posts, read 25,734,548 times

Advertisements

Democrats and the media fight any tax cuts that benefit "anyone" by repeating over and over again that tax cuts benefit the rich. In this case they are fighting to keep tax breaks for the rich that don't benefit many middle class Americans who can't afford to hold such debt or live in high COL states.

Don't let the media educate you on taxes. People need to educate themselves to see if what they are told is true, instead of easily and willingly buying the rhetoric. The media and politicians know it's easy to fool people who are not educated and have no interest in learning and use the media as their educational source. Schumer (from NEW YORK both a high COL and high tax state) tried to spin and lie about it but was called on it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2017, 12:18 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,565,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
Democrats and the media fight any tax cuts that benefit "anyone" by repeating over and over again that tax cuts benefit the rich. In this case they are fighting to keep tax breaks for the rich that don't benefit many middle class Americans who can't afford to hold such debt or live in high COL states.

Don't let the media educate you on taxes. People need to educate themselves to see if what they are told is true, instead of easily and willingly buying the rhetoric. That's where the media comes in... the spin. It's easy to fool people who are not educated and have no interest in learning and use the media as their educational source.
I trust the media and Democrats.

Old 09-27-2017, 12:20 PM

34,279 posts, read 19,371,187 times
Meh. I doubt this will get passed. Tax changes are even more difficult then healthcare. And mix in increased deficits from the start? Yeah. Once they start talking about what special interest deductions to cut everything will go ballistic.

The initial information release is the most positive things that will be said. Its all about the feel good things. Once the details are hammered out, that is when everyone goes ballistic.

Petch is right to call Schumer out as well, he was blatantly misinforming folks. And honestly he doesn't have too. The details will doom this as it moves forward. But the fact that from the get go this harms blue states more is fascinating.

Old 09-27-2017, 12:22 PM

3,841 posts, read 1,979,018 times
Quote:
Sounds to me he's talking about a below the line deduction which is not dollar for dollar but since I don't benefit from the child care dependent credit I'll have to look into it. A 72,000 page tax code is crazy.
You are correct a deduction and a credit are different. The credit is dollar for dollar. I just checked with my husband and we do not qualify for this so I was wrong, we do not get ANY deduction for our childcare..
Some on this thread will be happy about that lol

Old 09-27-2017, 12:22 PM

6,046 posts, read 4,817,498 times
Quote:
I know and that's the exact point I'm arguing. The rich who live in expensive homes and or high tax states and high COL states are able to write that state tax off against their federal taxes (they get to keep more of their money) because they easily make it above the standard deduction while the middle class must go into a lot of debt to get that advantage, many who can't afford to go into that much debt. Who benefits mostly from the write off? People who have expensive homes, or live in high tax and or high COL states.
You've never lived in the larger eastern metro areas of the US. Places like DC or NJ/NY. There $320k will not get you anything liveable. Not these days.

Old 09-27-2017, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weichert View Post
You've never lived in the larger eastern metro areas of the US. Places like DC or NJ/NY. There $320k will not get you anything liveable. Not these days.
LOL agree and I wouldn't, It cost you a lot to buy reasonable housing (meaning also pay higher taxes on a higher valued home) and have to pay high taxes both because of cost and high % taxes, so why is it that you get to reduce your federal taxes bill (to pay bills for the entire country) because you chose to live go into a lot of debt to buy reasonable housing and have to pay high taxes. Essentially reducing your tax bill federally.

Old 09-27-2017, 12:29 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,565,372 times
Quote:
Stop voting for the Democrats then. Large cities continue to vote for the Democrats and continue to pile on more and more expenses and taxes.

Old 09-27-2017, 12:30 PM

45,676 posts, read 24,012,426 times
Quote:
One thing liberals are going to complain with Trumps tax code is no longer having the ability to write off state taxes. They will downplay ALL Americans being able to write off more in the standard deduction. Who benefits from writing off state taxes the most? People who own expensive homes and live in high tax states like New York and California. This is the rest of the country who live in lower tax states and lower valued homes subsidizing these high tax states. Essentially the rich people will lose this tax deduction so the rest of us can increase our standard deduction.

The left is going to scream about it.
You have special skills to see into the future - oh my.

Seeing as none of what you say can be disproven because it can't be proven -- useless hypothetical discussion.

Old 09-27-2017, 12:31 PM

Quote:
And while I'm at it, while I pay less for more house, pay less in state taxes and am able to save and invest more of my money, building my net worth, your money went to crazy high mortgage, state and local taxes / government... Gone forever! And guess what, we are probably living the same if not better standard of living. You'll just have to work longer, work harder, live a lower standard of living in hopes that some day you too can retire and live life.

Old 09-27-2017, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
You have special skills to see into the future - oh my.

Seeing as none of what you say can be disproven because it can't be proven -- useless hypothetical discussion.
LOL, I'll bet Democrats call it racist too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies