Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2017, 04:45 PM

8,653 posts, read 6,141,838 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
well, conservative here.

As for a form of protest that conservatives would approve of? Any form of non destructive/disruptive behavior I’m fine with. However, I will say that protest in general is overused in America, on both sides of the political divide. We no longer attempt to peaceably discuss our differences, we’ve taken to shouting out what we want and hope we can shout louder than the other side.
So are you fine with NFL players taking a knee during the national anthem?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2017, 05:00 PM

319 posts, read 199,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bully View Post
I support Donald Trump and Donald Trump supports equality for all American citizens regardless of race.
Too soon. You've got another 6 months until April Fools Day.

Old 09-29-2017, 05:16 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,382,642 times
First of all, let's stop the stupid/disingenuous semantics switcheroos, and define 'conservative' as it's used in current common parlance: conservatism is advocacy of limited government.

Second to answer OP's question from post one, do you forget that it was Republican (and conservative) president Dwight Eisenhower who sent the 101st Airborne Division to Arkansas to ensure that schools would be desegregated? And Orval Faubus (D, AR) and for whom a young Bill Clinton served as driver, who stood in a schoolhouse doorway to block desegregation?

Old 09-29-2017, 05:27 PM

319 posts, read 199,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
First of all, let's stop the stupid/disingenuous semantics switcheroos, and define 'conservative' as it's used in current common parlance: conservatism is advocacy of limited government.

Second to answer OP's question from post one, do you forget that it was Republican (and conservative) president Dwight Eisenhower who sent the 101st Airborne Division to Arkansas to ensure that schools would be desegregated? And Orval Faubus (D, AR) and for whom a young Bill Clinton served as driver, who stood in a schoolhouse doorway to block desegregation?
If you're so proud of those acts, how do you defend the fact that you have no recent examples and have to go decades back? Why are modern conservatives against EVERY call for equality and fairness when it comes to non-white people?

Old 09-29-2017, 05:35 PM

25,873 posts, read 18,894,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
... and define 'conservative' as it's used in current common parlance: conservatism is advocacy of limited government...
But there is more to it than that. Conservatism is more encompassing. Libertarianism focuses more on limited government and less on the other tenets of conservatism. Generally speaking, I see libertarianism being more focused on liberty and less focused on social mandate and economic factors.

I see modern liberalism as being more focused on a narrow band of liberty for specific counterculture activities and a focus on anti-liberty outside that realm, and a focus on master-slave plantation economics--with government/ruling class/dependent class as the masters and "rednecks"/blue collar/white collar workers as the slaves.

Old 09-29-2017, 05:38 PM

10,835 posts, read 14,950,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
The Thirteenth Amendment?
the Civil Rights Amendment the one that Al Gore Sr voted against?

Does that count for anything?

Old 09-29-2017, 05:41 PM

8,653 posts, read 6,141,838 times
Racial equality was never on the conservative agenda...

Old 09-29-2017, 05:45 PM
NCN

21,663 posts, read 25,654,779 times
The only thing I would feel strongly enough to demonstrate about is to end abortions because I think that is a monstrously barbaric practice.

I have no problem with companies making a profit and I don't think they owe the general public anything except to maybe stop hiring illegals.

I have heard only one thing the law enforcement has done that is wrong and that was just an accident. People need to realize if they break the law they need to be stopped. Nothing wrong with law enforcement doing their jobs. That's what they were hired to do.

The only person who should be demonstrating about being treated unfairly is the white male. Some people seem to think they should apologize for living.

I would like to see those people destroying graves of the honorable Civil War soldiers arrested but I am not going to demonstrate about it but I will think about the things people have said about that when I vote next time.

In other words, most of the demonstrations I have seen this year is a bunch of nothing and there was no justification for the demonstration. Most of it was just college students trying to get out of studying or paid demonstrators causing trouble.

Old 09-29-2017, 05:47 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,382,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sockruhtese View Post
If you're so proud of those acts, how do you defend the fact that you have no recent examples and have to go decades back? Why are modern conservatives against EVERY call for equality and fairness when it comes to non-white people?
I entirely expected this deflection. Why is it you can't comment on the Ike incident? Cat got your tongue?

Nonetheless I will give you several more recent examples. When Rahm Emanuel ran for Mayor of Chicago a few years ago, the election turned into a race about race:
Rahm Emanuel and the Politics of Race in Chicago

There was a white candidate, a black candidate, and a Latino candidate--all Democrats of course, this being Chicago. A democratic congressman (and Obama ally) named Danny K. Davis said that it was natural for voters of a particular skin tone to rally around candidates of the same skin tone.

Quote:
Davis said it was “just kind of natural” for people to rally behind a candidate of their own color or ethnicity. He drew an example from his boyhood on a farm in Arkansas. “When I went into the barnyard,” he explained later during an interview, “I never saw a chicken leading a group of turkeys.”

This was widely decried by conservatives at the time. Chicago Democrats, according to the piece at the above link, " scarcely blinked at the bald racial calculations "

Old 09-29-2017, 05:51 PM
NCN

21,663 posts, read 25,654,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sockruhtese View Post
The non-whites have more privileges than anybody else. It might be good to return to a time when we all get the equality and fairness they have enjoyed more than the rest of us for years. Get of your bottoms and quit your beefing. It really gets tiresome hearing how someone got what they deserved and somehow that is not fair.

What some of you don't realize is that you don't want fairness. You want the rest of us to take care of you while you cause trouble for us. You've gone too far and it is time to back off and realize how well off you really are and be thankful for it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies