Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-02-2017, 01:02 PM

68,329 posts, read 54,389,283 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanms3030 View Post
This is exactly the reaction the government wants so that they can get everyone to willingly give up their rights. Once our guns are gone, marshall law and police state aren't far behind. Odds are the government (or shadow government or whatever you want to call it) was behind this. I believe this guy single handedly plotted and pulled this off as much as I believe Oswald acted alone

Last I heard, the SCOTUS (that's part of the government you know) has consistently upheld the Second Amendment. What facts do you have that say differently? Or are do you have a vested interest in increased gun sales?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2017, 01:03 PM

15,355 posts, read 12,651,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swilliamsny View Post
I agree that the number of deaths is staggering. I disagree that stricter gun laws is the answer.

One place we can start is by breaking down the big pictures shown in that article. Graph number three shows "mass shootings" across the country. Let's take a look at that one, and talk about what a mass shooting is. We have tragedies like Las Vegas, the Orlando nightclub and Sandy Hook. It's disingenuous to imply that the graph represents this level of depravity, though. When you categorize mass shooting as having four people shot at a single time - shot, not necessarily killed - that number is going to include mostly gang-related shootings, robberies, and sometimes domestic violence cases.

I'm not trying to criticize the article as much as I am trying to point out that there are very different motivations behind gun use. Lumping everything together is great for shock value, but it doesn't really help in defining where the problems are, and what we can do to try and solve them. Saying 'it's not the guns' is clichéd, but there's a reason that keeps being repeated. With as many gun laws as we already have, it's not unreasonable to say that our laws haven't stopped squat. Getting rid of them all would help. A full gun ban is not going to happen, though - at least not right now and not in this country. We need to refocus from the gun to the person and the motivation.
well those people who are shot/killed go to the hospital or the morgue.

not suggesting a full ban, but there are too many guns in this country.

Old 10-02-2017, 01:04 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,615,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
One can use a truck, boat, hammer, nails,etc.. anything can be used but guns (outside of hunting) have one purpose.

You can use a truck for so many positive things. Not so much when it comes to guns once you take away hunting from the equation.
One purpose?

So shooting skeet is the only purpose for a gun, because that is all my 20 gauge has ever been used for.

Old 10-02-2017, 01:05 PM

8,384 posts, read 4,367,951 times
There are an estimated 300 million guns in the USA. There are about 325 million people in the USA.

It is far to late for any gun control. That genie has been out of the bottle for a while.

Your best bet is to legally arm yourself, and know how to use it.

Old 10-02-2017, 01:06 PM

23,795 posts, read 13,261,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCbaxter View Post
Now is no the right time to talk about guns, stop politicizing the issue.
There, just saved a bunch of righties a bunch of time. You're welcome.
When is the right time? In between now and the next mass shooting?

The time is before people go back into their cellphone worlds and forget about this big ugly American issue.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/10/02/o...ype=collection

Old 10-02-2017, 01:06 PM

68,329 posts, read 54,389,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
How about some laws?

We can pass laws against guns at schools and never have a school shooting.

Hey, that gives me an idea. We can pass laws against heroine and nobody can get addicted it it and ruin their lives or die.

Laws prevent little/nothing of anything. Would you have us eliminate them because of that or does it make sense to have laws punishing what we define as crimes?

Old 10-02-2017, 01:10 PM

4,795 posts, read 4,823,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
Last I heard, the SCOTUS (that's part of the government you know) has consistently upheld the Second Amendment. What facts do you have that say differently? Or are do you have a vested interest in increased gun sales?
Sorry, I'm talking about the people that really run the country not the puppet officials that we elect every 2-4 years. If people want to believe everything that the government and media tell us on face value then that's fine but we'll all end up paying the price if we choose to continue every day to willingly give up freedoms and our money to big brother so that we can sleep easy under a false sense of security and safety.

Old 10-02-2017, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
Laws prevent little/nothing of anything. Would you have us eliminate them because of that or does it make sense to have laws punishing what we define as crimes?
So, would it make more sense to have a law against using every single thing that could be used for murdering a person or just a law against murder?

W have such laws against rape and murder to punish behavior. Laws do not stop crimes from being committed.

Old 10-02-2017, 01:18 PM

20,187 posts, read 23,855,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
We can thank the power of the NRA who sponsor so many republican lawmakers.
You can thank the power of the second amendment... you know the one that says you can protect yourself... maybe we should ban planes, cars, knives, bats, fists, and people...

Old 10-02-2017, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanms3030 View Post
Don't forget the Pentagon where another plane just happened to hit and destroy the accounting office that was performing the audit on the $2.3 trillion dollars that Donal Rumsfeld announced that the department of defense could not account for on September 10, 2001 (how convenient)

Rumsfeld announced Pentagon audit finds $2.3 trillion missing

But I guess we should all blindly trust our government and give away any and all freedoms they want to take back from us
Is this a troofer alert?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies