Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-12-2017, 10:23 AM

3,129 posts, read 1,332,976 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbones View Post
Whatever. The bottom line is you can't force and addict into recovery. It's a waste of time and money. The second thing is the epidemic is NOT caused by prescribing. It just isn't. That's an easy scape goat. Go ahead, be an enabler if you want.
It isn't a question of me being an enabler, it is more an issue of you being uninformed.

Doctors prescribed the heck out of these pills for years. The big drug companies making the pills encouraged it. Many people are not like cremebrulee. Instead, many went to the doctor, got prescribed pain medication, didn't care what it was as long as it worked, and took the pills. Addiction never even crossed their mind.

Many of these people are professionals or soccer moms, not drug addicts. But, they got addicted anyway because they trusted their doctor too much. I assume these are the "liars" that you want to just OD and die?

What caused the current crisis is the government sticking its ugly head into doctor/patient relationships. Because of a few bad doctors who operated "pill mills", the government decided to act. But they didn't think things through and calmly guide doctors away from over-prescribing pain meds over time, they instead used a heavy hand and threatened doctors with pulling their license if they didn't stop. Some doctors reacted by cutting these aforementioned addicted patients off, cold turkey. Some of those patients then discovered the true depth of their addiction, and turned to street heroin in desperation. Some of those then died as a result. Those folks could still be living productive lives if the government had not butted in with their typical knee-jerk reaction to a crisis.

So I'm very sorry your narrow view of the problem makes you believe all addicts are the same and deserve to die by overdose of impure street heroin.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2017, 11:23 AM

28,897 posts, read 30,274,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raddo View Post
It isn't a question of me being an enabler, it is more an issue of you being uninformed.

Doctors prescribed the heck out of these pills for years. The big drug companies making the pills encouraged it. Many people are not like cremebrulee. Instead, many went to the doctor, got prescribed pain medication, didn't care what it was as long as it worked, and took the pills. Addiction never even crossed their mind.

Many of these people are professionals or soccer moms, not drug addicts. But, they got addicted anyway because they trusted their doctor too much. I assume these are the "liars" that you want to just OD and die?

What caused the current crisis is the government sticking its ugly head into doctor/patient relationships. Because of a few bad doctors who operated "pill mills", the government decided to act. But they didn't think things through and calmly guide doctors away from over-prescribing pain meds over time, they instead used a heavy hand and threatened doctors with pulling their license if they didn't stop. Some doctors reacted by cutting these aforementioned addicted patients off, cold turkey. Some of those patients then discovered the true depth of their addiction, and turned to street heroin in desperation. Some of those then died as a result. Those folks could still be living productive lives if the government had not butted in with their typical knee-jerk reaction to a crisis.

So I'm very sorry your narrow view of the problem makes you believe all addicts are the same and deserve to die by overdose of impure street heroin.
I'm sorry, but no one, but no one made these addicted people take this medication....and as I said before, there are other reasons, why they are doing drugs...maybe their parents got them addicted, when they were little and thought they were hyperactive, instead they had behavioral problems.

However, to enable a drug addiction is wrong....it's says it's ok and it's not. Yes, the pharmaceutical companies manufactured according to demand, and yes, the doctors prescribed these pills, however, common sense tells you, before you introduce any kind of medication/chemicals, into your body, you had better read the information that comes with each and every medication....

I feel badly for them, but it's their fault, their choice....yes, there are "some" circumstances that differ, like the kids who had no choice, whose parents fed them meds instead of dealing with discipline.

And yes, I remember hearing people talk about, go to this doctor and that doctor and you'll get any med you want....they should be put in jail....but that doctor, did not force the patient to take those pills. You are completely avoiding the issue of personal responsibility.

Which is par for the course today.....sheesh, it's always someone else's fault.

And the person your speaking with offered a very logical view....not narrow minded in the least.....common sense....

I remember as a kid talking with other kids about drugs, and them talking about cocaine...no freakin way....there was no way I'd take meds from them or from a doctor...

I knew about chemicals, side affects and drugs at a very young age....scared the daylights out of me at the thought of being addicted and btw, there are millions of people in this world who are not addicted, how come?

because they didn't want to get addicted so they didn't experiment with drugs. Period!

I respect your point of view, but what I don't respect is that you have to tell someone that theirs is wrong, yours in right, therefore their minds are closed. Wrong....

Old 10-12-2017, 11:26 AM

13,898 posts, read 6,446,965 times
Quote:

They are not soccer moms and such. That is a complete lie. 90% of the addicts today are young people in their 20's doing it to get high with never having been prescribed anything. It's not a crisis, it's personal responsibility gone awry. Yes, let the addicts who don't want to recover just OD, I don't care one bit to be honest because nothing can help them but themselves and they aren't. Sucks to be them.

Old 10-12-2017, 11:30 AM

10,920 posts, read 6,912,422 times
Quote:

What you describe happens to some extent, but I largely think it is a very convenient scapegoat that people like to use when talking about this epidemic.

People are getting addicted to drugs for similar reasons to why people have always gotten addicted to drugs. The fact that we look at this issue in a different light ("it's not their fault!", "they're victims!", etc.) is very interesting in juxtaposition to how most conversations around addicts go ("they're lazy!", "get a job!", etc.).

"Interesting"...because we all know, deep down, what is really different here.

Old 10-12-2017, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
I'm sorry, but no one, but no one made these addicted people take this medication....and as I said before, there are other reasons, why they are doing drugs...maybe their parents got them addicted, when they were little and thought they were hyperactive, instead they had behavioral problems.

However, to enable a drug addiction is wrong....it's says it's ok and it's not. Yes, the pharmaceutical companies manufactured according to demand, and yes, the doctors prescribed these pills, however, common sense tells you, before you introduce any kind of medication/chemicals, into your body, you had better read the information that comes with each and every medication....

I feel badly for them, but it's their fault, their choice....yes, there are "some" circumstances that differ, like the kids who had no choice, whose parents fed them meds instead of dealing with discipline.

And yes, I remember hearing people talk about, go to this doctor and that doctor and you'll get any med you want....they should be put in jail....but that doctor, did not force the patient to take those pills. You are completely avoiding the issue of personal responsibility.

Which is par for the course today.....sheesh, it's always someone else's fault.

And the person your speaking with offered a very logical view....not narrow minded in the least.....common sense....

I remember as a kid talking with other kids about drugs, and them talking about cocaine...no freakin way....there was no way I'd take meds from them or from a doctor...

I knew about chemicals, side affects and drugs at a very young age....scared the daylights out of me at the thought of being addicted and btw, there are millions of people in this world who are not addicted, how come?

because they didn't want to get addicted so they didn't experiment with drugs. Period!

I respect your point of view, but what I don't respect is that you have to tell someone that theirs is wrong, yours in right, therefore their minds are closed. Wrong....
Thank you. I know what I said may seem harsh to some but it's the reality of the situation. Quitting smoking is way harder than quitting heroin. I have a friend that quit heroin and it only took him a week. Sick for 2-3 days then it's over. It's not a deadly withdrawal like alcohol so it is very doable. If people REALLY wanted to quit they could but they aren't. The last post I responded to said these were professionals and soccer moms. That's funny, every OD that makes the news here was a kid in their 20's. Every person I knew of that OD'd or know of that is addicted is/was in their 20's. That's going back to the mid 90's. That's how long this problem has been around. Again, not a single one was prescribed anything from a doctor, they all sought it out on the street to get high. Yes, there are SOME people who got addicted from prescriptions but that's not what caused the epidemic. It might have put more pills out there to be stolen or sold on the street but that's different than becoming addicted because you were prescribed it because first timers are buying them off the street. I've seen it more than I'd like to admit. I tried helping out a married couple of opiate addicts and all they did was rob me 3 damn times. I have no use for them at all, either they make a decision to clean themselves up and become functioning members of society or they can OD, it's their choice. All these authorities that think they can create a program to inform the public about the dangers and it will work are misled. The Just say no campaign in the 80's didn't work, DARE programs in the schools didn't work and learning that opiates are highly addictive and deadly in health class didn't work. What more info could they convey that hasn't been for a few decades already? The ONLY way I see anything working is to force them into a rehab after being arrested for it, but even then, they will get clean and many will go right back to it. Just my 2 cents on the subject. I support any addict who sincerely wants to get clean but not many do. How you can see they don't is because many get clean, get over the withdrawals and then go right back to it. I've also seen that more times than I would like to admit too. It makes me scratch my head.

Old 10-12-2017, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Thank you. I know what I said may seem harsh to some but it's the reality of the situation. Quitting smoking is way harder than quitting heroin. I have a friend that quit heroin and it only took him a week. Sick for 2-3 days then it's over. It's not a deadly withdrawal like alcohol so it is very doable. If people REALLY wanted to quit they could but they aren't. The last post I responded to said these were professionals and soccer moms. That's funny, every OD that makes the news here was a kid in their 20's. Every person I knew of that OD'd or know of that is addicted is/was in their 20's. That's going back to the mid 90's. That's how long this problem has been around. Again, not a single one was prescribed anything from a doctor, they all sought it out on the street to get high. Yes, there are SOME people who got addicted from prescriptions but that's not what caused the epidemic. It might have put more pills out there to be stolen or sold on the street but that's different than becoming addicted because you were prescribed it because first timers are buying them off the street. I've seen it more than I'd like to admit. I tried helping out a married couple of opiate addicts and all they did was rob me 3 damn times. I have no use for them at all, either they make a decision to clean themselves up and become functioning members of society or they can OD, it's their choice. All these authorities that think they can create a program to inform the public about the dangers and it will work are misled. The Just say no campaign in the 80's didn't work, DARE programs in the schools didn't work and learning that opiates are highly addictive and deadly in health class didn't work. What more info could they convey that hasn't been for a few decades already? The ONLY way I see anything working is to force them into a rehab after being arrested for it, but even then, they will get clean and many will go right back to it. Just my 2 cents on the subject. I support any addict who sincerely wants to get clean but not many do. How you can see they don't is because many get clean, get over the withdrawals and then go right back to it. I've also seen that more times than I would like to admit too. It makes me scratch my head.
well, the problem has been around since the 60's actually....drugs became a trend....what causes an epidemic like this are weak people and greedy people that want to make money fast without having to work.

and I know drug addicts steal to get their next fix....I know of a police station, that did an undercover, watching a suspected drug house...for a very long time, same people coming and going all the time...a lot of them were homeless....they are so hard up to get that next fix, they will rob you blind...

They'll actually walk down the street trying to get into cars to collect the change that people leave in there, or steal whatever they can out of cars....

Once in my life I got to talk with a drug addict, and he told me, he would have done anything to get the money to get that fix, and he didn't care who he stole from, or who he bought from...its all about the fix. Your addicted to it, and that's all you think about. He tried several times to get off the stuff, but told me he didn't have the strength to do it. He always went back.

It's a shame, but like he said, you don't want to get hooked, don't do it in the first place, period.

This country doesn't do enough about catching the dealers to begin with, why? Because everyone's making money off of it....

I personally don't want anything to do with people hooked on drugs, even that neighbor I spoke of...she's half nuts...and takes no responsibility for the horrible things she says....I feel badly for her, but refuse to be around her, and she is in her 80's. I happen to know that in our area, doctors have tightened up extremely with giving these prescriptions, so I'm wondering what she is doing now, since her drug cow is gone.

It's b/c of her her 3 daughters do it and her grand daughters do it, one did turn to heroine. She told me all about it.

Old 10-12-2017, 12:22 PM

Quote:
well, the problem has been around since the 60's actually....drugs became a trend....what causes an epidemic like this are weak people and greedy people that want to make money fast without having to work.

and I know drug addicts steal to get their next fix....I know of a police station, that did an undercover, watching a suspected drug house...for a very long time, same people coming and going all the time...a lot of them were homeless....they are so hard up to get that next fix, they will rob you blind...

They'll actually walk down the street trying to get into cars to collect the change that people leave in there, or steal whatever they can out of cars....

Once in my life I got to talk with a drug addict, and he told me, he would have done anything to get the money to get that fix, and he didn't care who he stole from, or who he bought from...its all about the fix. Your addicted to it, and that's all you think about. He tried several times to get off the stuff, but told me he didn't have the strength to do it. He always went back.

It's a shame, but like he said, you don't want to get hooked, don't do it in the first place, period.

This country doesn't do enough about catching the dealers to begin with, why? Because everyone's making money off of it....

I personally don't want anything to do with people hooked on drugs, even that neighbor I spoke of...she's half nuts...and takes no responsibility for the horrible things she says....I feel badly for her, but refuse to be around her, and she is in her 80's. I happen to know that in our area, doctors have tightened up extremely with giving these prescriptions, so I'm wondering what she is doing now, since her drug cow is gone.

It's b/c of her her 3 daughters do it and her grand daughters do it, one did turn to heroine. She told me all about it.
Yes, they are nuts in every sense of the word really. That's a whole other topic about how mental illness is increasing generation after generation. It is being genetically passed down and spreading like wildfire. I wonder if THAT has anything to do with the addiction problem as well.

Old 10-12-2017, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Yes, they are nuts in every sense of the word really. That's a whole other topic about how mental illness is increasing generation after generation. It is being genetically passed down and spreading like wildfire. I wonder if THAT has anything to do with the addiction problem as well.
I don't know, but there sure are a lot of wackadodles out there....walking around....

cannot believe some of the stories I read and hear from officers.

Old 10-12-2017, 01:43 PM

3,129 posts, read 1,332,976 times
Quote:
I don't know, but there sure are a lot of wackadodles out there....walking around....

cannot believe some of the stories I read and hear from officers.
Both of you conveniently ignore the fact that other countries have dealt with the problem in exactly the opposite manner that DBones has described, with considerable success. Results! But both of you are closed minded to that FACT, because the War on Drugs for some insane reason still makes sense to you. Well, it has had decades to work, the problem is worse than ever, prohibition has been proven in the past to create more problems than it solves, yet you hold on to the notion that it is working or will work. It just has to be ramped up and up, Reagan-style.

Insanity.

Old 10-12-2017, 01:46 PM

10,920 posts, read 6,912,422 times
Quote:
I'm not sure there is evidence of that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies