Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2017, 04:53 PM

4,944 posts, read 2,941,945 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 16 Acres View Post
I've been seeing the word "traitor" keep getting thrown around.

Let's hear your explanation of that.
Oh for petes sake
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2017, 05:04 PM

2,189 posts, read 1,405,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BornintheSprings View Post
Oh for petes sake
I'm not surprised at that answer.

Old 10-09-2017, 06:42 PM

2,359 posts, read 1,035,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Thread Title
John Oliver Takes on Confederate Monuments

Ah, yes. A valiant effort on the part of John Oliver. Even had a few mildly amusing observations.

Alas, however, in the captioned match, the Confederate statues won by TKO. Which is kinda sad, actually, considering the statues are inanimate and cannot speak. Yet they managed to outduel this John Oliver fellow, for reasons he will have great difficulty explaining.

Old 10-09-2017, 06:49 PM

51,654 posts, read 25,828,130 times
Quote:
Just curious. Are the "white people" that you are talking about born and raised NC ? or are they from Outside of the area ? And if they are from Outside the area, what percentage in comparison ?

Unless you honestly do not know.
Do you bother to read the link I posted?

One who was arrested for pulling down the statue described a relative who was KKK. So I'm assuming that person was not born and raised up north.

Old 10-09-2017, 06:52 PM

10,920 posts, read 6,912,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
Oliver nails it.
As always. So on point.

Old 10-09-2017, 06:54 PM

Traitor is one who commits treason, the act of levying war against the U.S.

Confederates did just that.

Robert E. Lee graduated from West Point, took an oath on his honor to defend the U.S.A. and the Constitution, and then proceeded to levy war against it.

I'm not sure why this is so confusing.

Next up will be the claim that the Washington, Jefferson and all were traitors too then.

No. They did not take an oath to defend England. Plus, they won. That always helps.

Confederates were traitors. There really is no getting around it.

Old 10-09-2017, 06:57 PM

Quote:
A little over an hour now and so far no responses to my two above replies.

What I am getting at is that about 95% of all the "whites" that I know in VA, NC and SC who were Born and Raised here and are of the Rural South, the Backbone of the Region, Farmers, Blue Collar, White Collar, Hard Working, Wholesome, Down to Earth people are in favor of keeping our history intact.

Heck, I never even hear any of my Black friends complain.

If you take a survey, you will find out that most that oppose are not even from the area and those that are here were not originally from here. You will also find that the worst areas are Liberal areas. Like Durham in the video posted in the link and Charlottesville for two examples.

By the way, those involved in the Durham case broke the law and were arrested.
Why am I surprised that the only white people you know are salt of the earth types that want to keep the statues and memorials to traitors?

Do these salt of the earth acquaintances of your wear pointy white hats at their gatherings by any chance?

The history you all are celebrating is a lie. This was not a noble endeavor.

It was a brutal war to keep people enslaved.

Nothing noble about that.

Old 10-09-2017, 06:59 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,334,415 times
John Oliver needs to take his limey ass back to England and celebrate the Irish Potato Famine.

Old 10-09-2017, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Do you bother to read the link I posted?

One who was arrested for pulling down the statue described a relative who was KKK. So I'm assuming that person was not born and raised up north.
Ah, the KKK also had/has Northern members.

Therefore maybe they were and maybe they weren't.

But even if they were, I did not indicate every single solitary person.

Old 10-09-2017, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Traitor is one who commits treason, the act of levying war against the U.S.
There is where you are wrong. The South did not declare war on the North. They just wanted the North out of their newly formed territory. At Fort Sumter, they politely asked them to leave and gave them plenty of time to boot. The North would not comply. The South had to finally fire to get their point across. And they accomplished it with no one killed by enemy fire.

It was the North that then invaded Virginia. Lincoln called for 75,000 troops. The South met them only to defend themselves. The North made it a war.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies