Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-22-2017, 11:35 PM

33,012 posts, read 27,577,930 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Top 3% nationally? You have to score significantly higher than that to get merit scholarship $ from good schools. Need-based scholarships are MUCH easier to get.

I was living with lower-middle class relatives in the outer boroughs of NYC; they lived simply and frugally but apparently earned too much money to qualify me for need-based anything, i.e. no financial aid.

My verbal SAT was top 10% and my math was top 1%; my combined score (the old SAT had only those two components) was reported as top 1% but I've always suspected that my verbal score should have dropped me somewhat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2017, 11:45 PM

Quote:
Ooh... ooh... [raises hand] they worked CRAP jobs like my husband and I did to pay for it.

Some people make sacrifices and delay gratification to achieve their end goal.

Others want everything handed to them simply because 'they want it.'
Are you saying they graduated high school, took crap jobs, saved up a crap-ton of money, and then pursued higher education? I've worked crap jobs since I was twelve and even so I had to work multiple crap jobs simultaneously to get through college.

Old 10-22-2017, 11:49 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,761,548 times
Quote:
And here's the result...

We spend $554.5 billion on the 74.3 million enrolled in CHIP/Medicaid (that's 23% of the US population, BTW), alone (source: Kaiser Family Foundation). That averages to about $7,500/year, per enrollee. 48% of all US births are paid for by Medicaid, and those children are subsequently enrolled in CHIP/Medicaid. In fact, 43% of those enrolled in CHIP or Medicaid are under age 18. Only 9% of Medicaid enrollees are over age 65 (source: KFF). The recipients pay not one thin dime for it, unlike Medicare*, and all their medical treatment is free to them.

The freebie gravy train HAS to stop. It's sinking us. 70% of those born into poverty NEVER rise above it, not even as adults.

Mathematically, that's simply NOT sustainable. Period.

* (Which requires a minimum of 10 years of paid Medicare tax plus it charges premiums, deductibles, and copays, and not everything is covered)
Then do you advocate poor people approch their relatives, neighbors and friends to ask them to pay for their medical care? If that doesn't work, beg for the money on the street? But doing that may not be practical, if they're very sick and don't feel like it.

Old 10-22-2017, 11:51 PM

89,673 posts, read 45,299,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
Are you saying they graduated high school, took crap jobs, saved up a crap-ton of money, and then pursued higher education? I've worked crap jobs since I was twelve and even so I had to work multiple crap jobs simultaneously to get through college.
Worked while in high school and college.

Old 10-22-2017, 11:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
And, at the very least, being WORKING, productive members of society. We have a significant % of Americans who prefer leeching on others.

Funny how people laud private sector leeches and condemn those who leech off taxpayers.

My previous two living situations involved renting from non-working individuals who exploited middleman positions between absentee landlords and room-renting subtenants in order to live for free without working.

Old 10-22-2017, 11:53 PM

Quote:
Worked while in high school and college.

Shrug. I did that also; at one point I had four crap jobs.

Old 10-22-2017, 11:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
Then do you advocate poor people approch their relatives, neighbors and friends to ask them to pay for their medical care? If that doesn't work, beg for the money on the street? But doing that may not be practical, if they're very sick and don't feel like it.
Charity hospitals/clinics for the poor. I've made the suggestion many times. Lefties want no part of it. They only want a system in which money is forcibly confiscated from others to pay for it.

Old 10-22-2017, 11:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
Funny how people laud private sector leeches and condemn those who leech off taxpayers.

My previous two living situations involved renting from non-working individuals who exploited middleman positions between absentee landlords and room-renting subtenants in order to live for free without working.
The "middleman" earned it by managing the rental for the landlord. That's a common arrangement. Not everyone is paid the same.

Old 10-22-2017, 11:58 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,761,548 times
Quote:
Charity hospitals/clinics for the poor. I've made the suggestion many times. Lefties want no part of it. They only want a system in which money is forcibly confiscated from others to pay for it.
I doubt very many doctors and nurses want to work for free. A lot of people don't want to donate to charities because they are barely getting by themselves after getting paid. That's why there is Medicare and Medicaid.

Old 10-23-2017, 12:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
I doubt very many doctors and nurses want to work for free. A lot of people don't want to donate to charities because they are barely getting by themselves after getting paid.
Both very good reasons why society as a whole should vote with their own wallets, and not just keep voting to take money out of someone else's wallet.

You see, that taxpayer with an effective federal income tax rate of just a little over 27% works for free more than 3 months of every year.

That's 2.5 years out of 10. 5 years out of 20. 10 out of 40. Etc. Time away from their spouse, kids, elderly relatives they're helping out, etc. While more than 45% of US 1040 filers don't work for free at all.

Do you recognize the contradiction you've presented? You say doctors and nurses don't want to work for free. Well, neither do any of the approximately 54% of all US 1040 filers who have to pay federal income tax.

Last edited by InformedConsent; 10-23-2017 at 12:35 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies