Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-24-2017, 01:42 PM

2,333 posts, read 1,494,813 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Then why is there even a need for HC for the poor? They can get to work and EARN enough to pay for it.
I think there should be a social safety net of some sort, and healthcare belongs in it. Anyone can be successful but that doesn’t mean that people don’t get into legitimately bad circumstances sometimes and we should help them get back on their feet (could happen to me one day, who knows). Either don’t tax me at all or, if you’re going to tax me, at least have these programs up so I can be covered if I need it. I don’t see us forgoing the income tax so until then this is one thing I’d like my tax money to go to, instead of some other things.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2017, 01:46 PM

89,325 posts, read 45,064,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
Nonsense. In CA and NV the vast majority of the construction workers are paid reasonably well and not on welfare. Fact of life.
Who goes into the trades, and competes for jobs at a higher rate than anyone else? Who's flooding the job market?

Everything I've posted is, in fact, true.

Quote:
All the Medicaid numbers prove is that the poor are minority. In facts Blacks have a higher representation than do Hispanics.
In the SW? No.

Old 10-24-2017, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BicoastalAnn View Post
I think there should be a social safety net of some sort, and healthcare belongs in it. Anyone can be successful but that doesn’t mean that people don’t get into legitimately bad circumstances sometimes and we should help them get back on their feet (could happen to me one day, who knows). Either don’t tax me at all or, if you’re going to tax me, at least have these programs up so I can be covered if I need it. I don’t see us forgoing the income tax so until then this is one thing I’d like my tax money to go to, instead of some other things.
If you're willing to pay, others will be too. Make it voluntary: charity hospitals/clinics for the poor. The lefty coastal elites should be 100% all over this. They can put their money where their mouths are.

Old 10-24-2017, 02:12 PM

2,333 posts, read 1,494,813 times
Quote:
If you're willing to pay, others will be too. Make it voluntary: charity hospitals/clinics for the poor. The lefty coastal elites should be 100% all over this. They can put their money where their mouths are.
They already do this today. And yeah, I think it’s just peachy! So what’s different exactly?

Old 10-24-2017, 02:15 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,404,117 times
Quote:
Who goes into the trades, and competes for jobs at a higher rate than anyone else? Who's flooding the job market?

Everything I've posted is, in fact, true.

In the SW? No.
Nope your post is false as you often are. The vast majority of the Hispanic construction workers are legal.

And again your post lies. Even in the SW Blacks are overrepresented in Medicaid by more than Hispanics

For instance Blacks are 5% of the CA population but 9% of Medicaid. Hispanics are 39% of the population and 56% of the Medicaid.

Why is it you have such trouble finding truth in your posts.

Old 10-24-2017, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BicoastalAnn View Post
They already do this today. And yeah, I think it’s just peachy! So what’s different exactly?
Make it voluntary charity. Not a taxpayer-funded program.

Old 10-24-2017, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Nope your post is false as you often are. The vast majority of the Hispanic construction workers are legal.
How do you know? Remember when Puerto Rico had to void all the birth certificates they issued prior to 2010 because so many illegals were using them for ID and to obtain government benefits here in the 50 states? Were any of those purged? I doubt it.

Old 10-24-2017, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Your post is simply absurd. This is absolutely no reason to believe such an approach would ever work. And even if it did under ideal condition the first economic recession the poor start dying in the streets and parking lots. It is clear that with the existing system the poor die younger and more often than the well off. What you want to do is make it worse.

We need to decide what we will do about health care. As a practical matter it is not a service that works well in the standard capitalist environment and is probably better to do some version of single payer. And properly done that could actually lower the overall cost of US health care. So potentially we could have better health care and save some money.

Old 10-24-2017, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Your post is simply absurd. This is absolutely no reason to believe such an approach would ever work.
Why not? Are you saying those who talk the talk won't walk the walk?

Let society decide by voting with their own wallets.

Old 10-24-2017, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Why not? Are you saying those who talk the talk won't walk the walk?

Let society decide by voting with their own wallets.
You do not provide major social services by charity. Bad idea.

But hey if you really want to pursue lets go after defense. I am sure all you right wingers are all set to provide a good part of your income to support defense. And that way the leftist who don't support a massive defense machine won't have to...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies