Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-17-2017, 06:27 AM

9,727 posts, read 14,271,125 times

Advertisements

Boy Scouts to begin accepting girls

Hard to believe it has come to this. As a woman, I'm embarrassed by all this "Helen Reddy I Am Woman" type stuff. On one hand, they want doors to be held open for them and to be treated like they're special little angels. On the other hand they want to be a Boy Scout, when we already have Girl Scouts. Give these women some shovels and let them dig ditches, clean out cesspools, climb into man holes under our streets with the rats, and see how long they last. This "equality" thing is way overblown.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2017, 06:45 AM

51,655 posts, read 25,843,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdlr View Post
Boy Scouts to begin accepting girls

Hard to believe it has come to this. As a woman, I'm embarrassed by all this "Helen Reddy I Am Woman" type stuff. On one hand, they want doors to be held open for them and to be treated like they're special little angels. On the other hand they want to be a Boy Scout, when we already have Girl Scouts. Give these women some shovels and let them dig ditches, clean out cesspools, climb into man holes under our streets with the rats, and see how long they last. This "equality" thing is way overblown.
What are you talking about? Women have been doing down and dirty work all along. While you may live in some precious princess palace where you are treated like the delicate flower you are, that's not the life most of us have or have had for centuries.

There are mighty few positions for the Scarlett O'Haras of this world, and even those types have done some down and dirty work when the occasion calls for it. As to opening doors, as God is my witness, frankly I don't give a damn.

Last edited by GotHereQuickAsICould; 10-17-2017 at 07:04 AM..

Old 10-17-2017, 06:51 AM

Our daughters were only in Girl Scouts for one year.

However, from what I could tell the only well-organized part of the whole operation was selling cookies to raise money to support the national and regional administrators. That's where the majority of the money went and that's what the majority of attention was focused on.

The Girl Scout camp was a cabin that had been donated years ago and had a fair amount of deferred maintenance .

No ropes course, no canoes, ... nothing but a campfire pit and some trails through the woods. Too bad there weren't patches for mosquito slapping. Those green vests would have been covered.

I can see why those who join scouting for an outdoor experience will be switching to Boy Scouts when they have the opportunity.

Old 10-17-2017, 07:01 AM

639 posts, read 376,762 times
Our culture wants boys to be girls and girls to be boys.

Old 10-17-2017, 07:05 AM

If Boy Scouts wants to admit girls, that's their business.

If girls would rather build fires, canoe, do rope courses, ... than sell cookies and work on "being a good sister" patches, so be it.

If Girl Scouts want to keep attracting girls, they are going to have to up their game. Whining about how troops can develop their own outdoor programs is just silly. Groups that could do that wouldn't need to be in Girl Scouts.

Old 10-17-2017, 07:18 AM

89,061 posts, read 44,866,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo_Lorem View Post
Our culture wants boys to be girls and girls to be boys.
It would help if neither of the sexes were pigeon-holed. As I've already said, I was a Girl Scout (Junior) more than 40 years ago. All we did was home ec type things and arts and crafts. NOT for me. I quit and joined Camp Fire Girls, instead, and had a blast! And good thing, too, because the very first weekend getaway trip I went on with my husband of 33 years back when we were dating was a 3-day river canoeing trip over Memorial Day weekend with his friends and their dates. Yep... Canoeing, camping, setting up, packing up, and loading the canoe again after each overnight stop. Portage over unnavigable falls and rapids... the works. Had I stayed in GS, I would have been screwed. But since I had been a CFG, I LOVED every minute of it!

Old 10-17-2017, 07:35 AM

15,063 posts, read 6,181,283 times
Guess I've always found separate activities for girls and boys very good, especially at young ages. Perhaps there are stark differences between the two programs of which I am unaware but I favor the separate groups.

What are the specific reasons for this? The article is somewhat vague.

Old 10-17-2017, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReineDeCoeur View Post
Guess I've always found separate activities for girls and boys very good, especially at young ages. Perhaps there are stark differences between the two programs of which I am unaware but I favor the separate groups.
Article stated boys and girls will be in separate groups at the young ages.

Quote:

The stated reasons include responding to requests to make scouting more family friendly.

The obvious reason is that the BSA leadership, apparently unanimously, decided they wanted to increase the pool of potential members.

Whatever. It is their decision. Facing a declining enrollment as boys are involved in competing activities and Evangelicals and Mormons pull their boys out, it was the logical move to make.

Old 10-17-2017, 09:15 AM

5,069 posts, read 2,281,036 times
Quote:

Although I'm thrilled that girls can now be part of Boy Scouts, I actually favor separate groups as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
Article stated boys and girls will be in separate groups at the young ages.

The stated reasons include responding to requests to make scouting more family friendly.

The obvious reason is that the BSA leadership, apparently unanimously, decided they wanted to increase the pool of potential members.

Whatever. It is their decision. Facing a declining enrollment as boys are involved in competing activities and Evangelicals and Mormons pull their boys out, it was the logical move to make.

The funny/ironic thing here is that it's the younger groups where I have less problem with a co-ed den, yet it's WAY easier to have separate groups at the Cub Scout level. I'm really hoping to keep Boy Scouts separated by gender, but that's much harder to do because of the way the program is set up.

At the Boy Scout level, the scouts learn from each other, and without a good number of kids, you don't have the same opportunities for teaching and leading. Without a fair number of girls in the program, at different ages and ranks, how do you fulfill requirements? It's going to be very, very tough to accomplish.

What's distressing to me is seeing how many scout leaders have said they're going to quit, how many have been downright nasty in their comments, and their general negativity (not all of them - thankfully). I get it that change is hard, but this makes me wonder if these leaders ever understood scouting to begin with. "A scout is... trustworthy, loyal, helpful, friendly, courteous, kind, obedient, cheerful, thrifty, brave, clean, reverent." Haven't seen much of this the last week.

Old 10-17-2017, 09:37 AM

34,237 posts, read 18,594,984 times
Communities should start their own, separate "Boy Scouts" for boys, and a Girl Scouts that do some of the same things the Boys do. I'd let the girls actually pick some of the things they'd want to do, instead of having a forced curriculum. You can name them whatever you want.

The Boy Scouts are just doing this to increase revenues. Everything is about money today.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies